Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Wording a food station on invite

I'm having trouble putting our "dinner" into a clear explaination on my invite.
My reception is featuring all of our fav "chicago style" foods in a heavy hor'dourve style and 1 carving station (parents request). So no, we wont have the traditional sit-down dinner and it won't be a buffet really. My cocktail hour will have  bor'dourves as well. So there will be plenty to eat and drink, I just help wording it on the invitation something in the style of "eat, drink and be merry with us" but not that goofy more wedding romantic/fun.
Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Wording a food station on invite

• Options
    Maybe something like: Cocktails, heavy hors d'oeuvres and merriment to follow.  It's not very romantic, but at least it points out the level of food to be expected. : )  Otherwise, you could do the little card and be even more specific:

Please join us at 5pm for cocktail hour for drinks and nibbles (not really loving that word, but I can't think of something better right now) to be followed by by more cocktails, heavy hors d'oeuvres and merriment.   
  • Options
    I don't think there's any need to explain the way food is being served. As long as it's enough to make up a dinner -- from your description it sounds like it is -- I'd just go with a generic Reception to follow. If you're looking for something a little lighter, you could go with something like The fun and festivities continue immediately after the ceremony (or whatever the exact case might  be).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wording-food-station-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:f0a1f291-d6c8-442c-93f5-860a792b9f85Post:b0960b58-9907-4501-827c-ae8a7bfadf07">Re: Wording a food station on invite</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think there's any need to explain the way food is being served. As long as it's enough to make up a dinner -- from your description it sounds like it is -- I'd just go with a generic Reception to follow. If you're looking for something a little lighter, you could go with something like The fun and festivities continue immediately after the ceremony (or whatever the exact case might  be).
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this, no need to clarify if what you're serving will be enough to be dinner, no matter how it's served.  We put "Celebration to follow" on our invitation, which we thought was a little more festive sounding.  I might put something on our wedding website that we will be having lunch, since our wedding is starting at a late lunch time, so you could do something like that if you're really worried about it.  </div>
  • Options
    Reception to Follow. 

You only have to specify "cocktail reception" etc. to put guests on notice that there won't be enough food to constitute a meal. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wording-food-station-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:f0a1f291-d6c8-442c-93f5-860a792b9f85Post:b0960b58-9907-4501-827c-ae8a7bfadf07">Re: Wording a food station on invite</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think there's any need to explain the way food is being served. As long as it's enough to make up a dinner -- from your description it sounds like it is -- I'd just go with a generic Reception to follow. If you're looking for something a little lighter, you could go with something like The fun and festivities continue immediately after the ceremony (or whatever the exact case might  be).

<div>This.  </div><div>
    </div><div>If you put something like cocktail reception or hors d'hoerves to follow, I would assume that you were trying to tell me to eat before I got there.  But your description makes it sound like there will be plenty of food to make a meal, and therefore I'd regret eating first.  </div><div>
    </div><div>As long as there is enough food to make a meal, they don't need to know the format until they get there.</div>
  • Options
    [QUOTE]I don't think there's any need to explain the way food is being served. <strong>As long as it's enough to make up a dinner</strong> -- from your description it sounds like it is -- <strong>I'd just go with a generic Reception to follow</strong>. If you're looking for something a little lighter, you could go with something like The fun and festivities continue immediately after the ceremony (or whatever the exact case might  be).

<div>It sounds like it'll be heavy enough to fill tummies so you should be fine</div>
  • Options
    I am having an afternoon wedding and we are serving finger foods plus cake and such, and I just put "Reception to Follow" on the invites. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    This sounds yummy!  If this is what I got after anticipating heavy hors d'œuvres, I'd be a happy camper!
  • Options
    We are doing the same and wrote fun, food, and festivities to follow
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! it's just so hard to keep it on par with the "emily post" way and still be "hip" 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards