Wedding Reception Forum

Selecting Menu Entrees

We will be having a 5 course sit down meal. I figure everyone or at least mostly everyone will be fine w/ whatever we select for most courses -- I am concerned about the entree though. If someone hates the type of soup we pick then oh well, but I'd hate someone to not have an entree they enjoy. 

We have tons of options that basically fall into the categories of beef, pork, fish, chicken and vegetarian. We can pick 2 plus a vegetarian. My parents who are paying for the entire thing are insiting we do a filet or a filet/crab cake combo plate as one of the options so that is that. Fiance and I personally love fish and the fish they offer sounds delicious. But I do feel chicken is the "safer" option. I have thought about asking if we can skip the veg. option and do steak, chicken or fish because there is no one in our family or friends who are vegetarian but someone's plus one could be and that would be awful to not have an option for them. So I think that is out.

What would you do???

Re: Selecting Menu Entrees

• alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited February 2013
    if someone is a vegetarian could they ask the server for a veggie meal? often places will have one if someone asks.

i'm not vegetarian but i often find that i'm not a fan of catering hall food. unless they can make my steak rare, unless the chicken is boneless skinless, etc.....i hate salmon (cooked-raw or seared is fine) i will often get the vegetarian option.

what is the veggie meal?

• The veggie meal options are a vegetable stir fry or a stuffed portobella mushroom -- we would pick one of those.

If we do not order the vegetarian entree it will not be availible. 
  • Have you tasted the food?  Because that delicious sounding fish dish could be a bust.  You should have a vegetarian option available.  You never know who may or may not be a vegetarian or who may just not be in the mood for meat.

I, personally, would do the steak and cake, a chicken and a veggie option.

• edited February 2013
    I'd do the steak and crab combo, the chicken, and the vegetarian (I would prefer the stuffed mushroom of the two).   That way the people who like seafood can still get their fix.  If my H and I went to your wedding we'd probably each get the duet plate and and then I'd give him my crab and I'd take his steak.  
  • Is there anyway to put it on your response card you send out with your invites? I did that, that way I pretty much know what my guests want.
  • Are people in your circle big seafood eaters?  If so, I think the filet/crabcake, fish, and vegetarian are fine options.  If not, just do the filet without the crabcake.  If would just try both vegetarian options and see which is tastier.  I would prefer the stir fry, but stir fry is hard to do in large quantities, I feel, so it might not be that great.  
  • alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited February 2013
    wow. veggie stir fry. could it be any more generic?! LOL.
    is there noodles involved or just a plate of veggies? what kind of veggies? if it's jut a plate of veggies taht were stir fried en masse no thanks.

as for the mushroom you get ONE?! they're not all that big and pretty flat to begin iwth so i'm not sure how substantial it would be. clearly not as much as a filet and crabcake.

i think you need to do a tasting. 

• We will of course do a tasting when it is closer -- prob the best way to go in terms of decison making. I am not concerned about taste even for vegetarian, our venue is top rated in our area with very talented chefs and anyone who has been to a wedding there has raved about the food both quality and quantity. There are various chickens and fishes to choose from so whatever is better tasting we will go with. Thanks so much for all of your input.

Alithe -- The vegetarian is what it is - portobella mushroom and stir fry are the options, I can't ask for anything different, that is their vegetarian sit down. Hopefully guests aren't going to be so upset about the veg options that it ruins their time. I did not think they were that awful but then again, maybe I'm wrong. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards