Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Are dance lessons worth the money?

I won a couple of free dance lessons at a Bridal Expo through Fred Astaire Dance Studio in West Springfield, MA. We went and LOVED them, but their "wedding package" is priced at close to $1000 (for 12 private lessons, 4 group lessons, and 4 practice parties). I would love to do a special first dance (and we do need LOTS of practice!) but I'm having trouble parting with $1000. For those who took lessons, how many lessons did it take for you to feel confident with your first dance? Will we need this large of a package or will it be overkill?

Re: Are dance lessons worth the money?

• Options

We didn't do dance lessons either and I would not pay $1000 for them either.

IMO, choreographed first dances always seem awkward and weird to me. 

On the day of our wedding I was on cloud nine and could barely take in what was going on around me so I couldn't even imagine trying to remember a dance. 

• Options
    edited February 2012
    we're doing dance lessons... they're super fun!  W estarted doing it as a way to get a cool first dance but ended up liking it so we're still diong it... it's something we enjoy doing together

We've been working on our wedding dance (choreographed) for the past four months... intermixed with other types of dances and have it down solid.. itf you start early enough you can have a smooth/fun dance that doesn't look forced/awkward :)

our study has lessons reduced price 2x a yearso they're like half the price you were talking about with way more group classes 3 group classes per private lesson... maybe your study does that too?
    Wedding Planning Bio & For Sale: valeriewalter.weebly.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    We took a couple intro lessons at a Fred Astaire studio and LOVED them, and are planning to do the beginner package a little closer to the wedding date.  WE had a BLAST, it was such a fun thing to do together.  And FI is super shy and nervous about dancing in front of people, so I think it will give him more confidence for the first dance.  We aren't planning on doing a choreographed routine,  I agree that's a little awkward and weird, but just having a few steps under his belt will help him feel good about the spotlight being on us.  And again, it was a super-fun and romantic thing to together!
    ETA:  Sorry didn't really answer yourquestion... $1000 is a lot.  Our package is going to include 5 private lessons, and unlimited group classes, for about 500.  I feel like that would prob be the right amount, esp since we already did the intro lessions...
  • Options
    That's a lot of lessons! It might be worth it if you think and your FH would really enjoy learning to dance together or spending that time together. But I definitely don't think you need that many to prepare for one dance.

The first time I got married, the ex- and I took ONE dance lesson together. We both basically knew how to dance, though certainly neither one of us could be called a dancer.

It was a private lesson and we brought in our first dance song to have her help us figure out the best basic steps to go along with it. We didn't do anything choreographed, but she taught us some basic steps we could use throughout and then gave us a bit of "flare" to go along with it if we wanted (a dip, a transition, a suggestion for how to transition from entering the ballroom to the start the dance etc.). That was all we needed.
  • Options
    We took group lessons at the continuing education center at a local college.  It was about $100 for 8-10 lessons.  

Unless I'd just won the lotto, I can't imagine spending $1000 on dance lessons for the wedding.  
  • Options
    We did 2 private dance lessons with Fred Astaire Dance and they were fun.  We mostly just wanted to learn a 'real' dance to do, not necessarily a coreographed dance.  I would never pay $100 for dance lessons for them to coreograph a dance.

Honestly, if you want to do something different, do a few private or group lessons for actual dances, then look up youtube videos with them and then try to just incorporate a few special moves into a normal dance yourself and it will look fine.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    That wedding package sounds like way more practice than you'll need, honestly. I'd see if they offer regular packages that aren't about weddings necessarily but will still give you a chance to practice. 

We took a lesson for fun a few years ago, and actually found that it's pretty easy to get the hang of the steps and positions in just one lesson (granted, I've danced for 15 years so it was more about getting my fiance to learn) - we're taking another lesson before the wedding, but not having anything choreographed.

Also, if you signed up for just a few lessons you could kind of "choreograph" your own routine. Personally I think that it can become obvious that couples have been practicing for weeks their choreographed dance - it looks nerve wracking more than pleasant. I say take some lessons, get a feel for it and then dance on your own. :)
  • Options
    I wouldn't pay for it, personally. A lot cheaper option would be group tango/waltz/ballroom/whatever classes at a community center or something like that. You could learn a little bit and then either choreograph something yourselves or just know more to be ready.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We won a dance lesson through Fred Astaire also, and enjoyed it, but don't have the money/can't fathom spending that much on dance lessons. FI and I both value dancing but at this point in time in the financial situation we are in, it's just not going to happen.

We are taking a three-class course through the local Recreation Department specifically for weddings. It is considerably cheaper and we will still learn the basic dances, which is all we want. If your community offers classes like those, I would look into them.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    FI and I desperately need dance lessons, but we're going to be taking them through a local community center.

I believe the price is $50 for 6 group lessons on a particular style  (per person).  We might take two different styles, so that would only be $200 total (We're interested in ballroom and swing)

I'm sure you get A LOT more for your $1000--having private lessons is great.  But to us, it's just not worth it to spend that much money on dance lessons.  We figure for a couple hundred dollars we can learn the basics and have some fun.

SaveSave
  • Options
    My boyfriend teaches swing and ballroom at two local colleges. You can find classes at a local community center or college rec center for way cheaper. Most of those instructors can be hired for much cheaper than the $1000 you quoted. Plus you get more personalized attention than at a class. The best advice my BF gives people who hire for thier wedding is to either decide what type of  dance you want to do before the lesson and he can help pick out music that fits that dance. or bring in the song you want to dance to and he can tell you which dance fits the song. whether its foxtrot, waltz etc. Ask how long they have been teaching and dancing, and how often they go out dancing. Not all good dancers are good teachers and not all teachers get out in the community often. Knowing a simple box step helps many couples feel more comfortable on the dance floor so they do not have to do the "high school sway". (not that there is anything wrong with that. just that a lot of couples want to be fancier on thier wedding day)
  • Options
    We are going through this decision right now. FI wants to take dance lessons so we don't look like sixth graders on the dance floor swaying. At least learn the simple stuff and be confident in it.

But we've run into the same thing with prices - our Arthur Murray experience was horrible (it's a franchise, so it could be just our local one) -- it was run like a used car dealership and the teacher was a nervous college kid who I think had just learned the steps earlier that day. They then tried to sell us 8 semi-private lessons and some open group dance time for $1000. Needless to say we ran out of that place.

We met a great guy who is a professional dancer and has his own studio; our introductory lesson was awesome and we had a ton of fun - but he was $70/lesson and wanted to do 20 lessons which is WAY out of our budget.

We're considering YouTube and picking up a learn to dance DVD and DIYing it.
    photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg
  • Options
    We're planning on teaching ourselves via Youtube videos. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards