Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Opinions on dinner choices

We are having a sit-down plated reception.  The reception is at a golf and country club that has amazing food.  I'm wondering, though, about offering guests menu options.  It costs $4.00 per person to offer a chioce of two entrées, with selection made in advance.  This fee is not charged if we offer only one meal option.  My father is paying for the wedding and is happy to foot that bill, but I don't want him to incur expenses needlessly. 

Ideally, guests would have a choice, but I don't know how important in the grand scheme of things this is, so I'm asking you ladies.  I've been to weddings where I had the choice, and weddings where I did not, and honestly was never that bothered by it.

The venue will accomodate vegetarians, other dietary restrictions and children who would prefer a children's plate, so they're not really in the equation.

Thank you all in advance for the honest feedback!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Opinions on dinner choices

• Options
    I think if you really know your crowd and you know everyone (except vegetarians/allergies/other accomodations, since you've got those covered) will eat and enjoy the same entrée, you can probably get by without choices. But are you sure everyone in your crowd likes chicken/beef/whatever? I do know people who literally don't eat one or the other.
  • Options
    I think it's fine as long as the venue will accomodate allergies and vegetarians, which you say they will.  I do think you will need to pick an entree with more universal appeal.  A pretty standard chicken dish would be the safest option, but you know your crowd.

Consider where else you would spend the money, though.  I would rather save a little on flowers and spend more to offer a second food option.  Some wedding expenses are fairly unnecessary, but it's worth spending a little more on food/drink and other things that will directly impact the comfort and enjoyment of your guests.  
  • Options
    Both FI and I are really picky eaters (with complete opposite tastes, which is always fun). We therefore offered 3 choices for people, just because it's always annoying to us when what's served is something neither of us likes. We deal with it, however, since it's the way things go when you're picky.

Long story short, I would spend the money for a second choice for people, simply because it's what I would prefer if I were my own guest, but if you pick something generally universal, you could get away with one thing. I'd just be grumpy personally :)
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    wait let me get this straight. as it is now everyone gets the same dinner correct? but if you pay  $4.00per guest they get a choice? where? on the RSVP card? if that's the case i'm not a fan of either except if the choices are very descriptive on the rsvp card. in my area it's the norm to have table side waiter order-not rsvp or one plate.

and what are the choices?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_opinions-on-dinner-choices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:fa72aac9-0cbe-4698-97fe-4c0ba53a153bPost:942341ff-7955-47ea-9e6c-2033b2fb5187">Re: Opinions on dinner choices</a>:
    [QUOTE]wait let me get this straight. as it is now everyone gets the same dinner correct? but if you pay  $4.00per guest they get a choice? where? on the RSVP card? if that's the case i'm not a fan of either except if the choices are very descriptive on the rsvp card. in my area it's the norm to have table side waiter order-not rsvp or one plate. and what are the choices?
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This sounds pretty snobby.  Table side service is usually quite a bit more money as the caterer needs to have far more food.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with offering choices on an rsvp card.  There is also nothing wrong with having only one option.  </div><div>
    </div><div>OP, if you can cut other places, I always prefer for the money to be spent on more food choices or better food rather than flowers, favors, etc.  If you can't cut, there's nothing wrong with one choice.

</div>

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We are doing one choice (just chicken) and placing the information in our wedding program somewhere that says "chicken, potatos, veggie, salad etc will be served, please let the waitstaff know if you have allergies of dietary restrictions"  Something to that effect.  If they don't like the chicken being served, they can order a different chicken version.

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_opinions-on-dinner-choices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:fa72aac9-0cbe-4698-97fe-4c0ba53a153bPost:ecd6e052-2073-45f4-a51e-0bc5e8c1de75">Re: Opinions on dinner choices</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinions on dinner choices : This sounds pretty snobby.  Table side service is usually quite a bit more money as the caterer needs to have far more food.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with offering choices on an rsvp card.  There is also nothing wrong with having only one option.   OP, if you can cut other places, I always prefer for the money to be spent on more food choices or better food rather than flowers, favors, etc.  If you can't cut, there's nothing wrong with one choice.
    Posted by melb2013[/QUOTE]

huh? its not snobby at all. NO ONE does RSVP order by me, no one does buffets. but i know when others say 'plated' its usually an RSVP choice meal. for us it's table side waiter order. that's it.  i never said there was anything wrong with the other ways but i did point out that the meal options on the rsvp cards should be very detailed. they're usually not and i've often been really disappointed. last year we went to a wedding upstate where we had to choose our entree and the rsvp card said 'pan roasted chicken'.  what it really was: bone in, skin on, pan fried with a thick cream sauce (i think it was supposed to be a gravy) and spinach. too bad i hate cream sauce, detest chicken on the bone and am not a fan of skin on. so please-make the info on the rsvp card SPECIFIC!! include the sides, sauces, etc... 

sorry if you dont have that choice by you.

• Options
    I think you should have more than one choice. It would be crappy as a guest to get a meal you don't like and then go hungry all night- especially if you are drinking.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_opinions-on-dinner-choices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:fa72aac9-0cbe-4698-97fe-4c0ba53a153bPost:a18c1caa-ef31-454e-935f-f74b2880a256">Re: Opinions on dinner choices</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinions on dinner choices : huh? its not snobby at all.<strong> NO ONE does RSVP order by me, no one does buffets. but i know when others say 'plated' its usually an RSVP choice meal. for us it's table side waiter order. that's it.</strong>  i never said there was anything wrong with the other ways but i did point out that the meal options on the rsvp cards should be very detailed. they're usually not and i've often been really disappointed. last year we went to a wedding upstate where we had to choose our entree and the rsvp card said 'pan roasted chicken'.  what it really was: bone in, skin on, pan fried with a thick cream sauce (i think it was supposed to be a gravy) and spinach. too bad i hate cream sauce, detest chicken on the bone and am not a fan of skin on. so please-make the info on the rsvp card SPECIFIC!! include the sides, sauces, etc...  sorry if you dont have that choice by you.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

As an LIer as well (hello neighbour!), I can attest to this. the RSVP Thing is very strange. I am not going to know what I want to eat now for a meal that is 2 months away.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards