Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Cold Soup...yay or nay..

So one of the options for our Soup is a french gazpacho soup which would be served cold. I am wondering if this is a good idea? bad idea? My wedding is french themed and in the summer, so it makes sense...I am just wondering if people would think my food is bad because they won't understand it is supposed to be served cold..

Thoughts?

edit...I actually mean vichysoisses (sp?).....

Re: Cold Soup...yay or nay..

• Options
    Everyone I know understands what gazpacho is. Would your friends not? Personally, I'm not a fan, but for summer, if you say it's gazpacho I think people would know it's supposed to be cold. Whether or not they think it's bad is an entirely different question :)
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    My daughter had an option of gazpacho for her June wedding.  Out of six of us at her tasting, only 2 of us voted "yes".  I also thought the same as you; it would be a refreshing starter course for a summer evening wedding.  I am not sure whether our 1/3 vote would be typical in all groups, but it is something to consider.

The other variable, especially in Chicago, is the weather factor.  My daughter's June wedding temperature barely reached a high of 60.  By nightfall, we could barely enjoy the patio option at the reception.

Although my vote would be for gazpacho, you might be better off appealing to the masses with a less atypical offering.
  • Options
    Yes, that is my worry. I worry most people don't like it, so that's kinda why I am taking a poll...I would love to stick to french, but I think I might be better off appealing to the masses with a hot soup choice..Love to hear more input
  • Options
    I vote to appeal to the masses.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Aside from the fact that gazpacho is Spanish cuisine, not French*... some people eat cold soup, some people don't. If you're going to have a lot of less adventurous eaters as guests, I would steer clear.

*Vichyssoise would be a French cold soup, though it's leeks and potatoes instead of tomato.
  • Options
    I'm sure people will understand that it is supposed to be cold.  Understanding is quite different from liking it.

Personally - I just can't wrap my head around cold soup.  Sorry!
  • Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    I love it, even if it is not French. If you want to go mainstream and hot, French onion is widely served.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_cold-soupyay-or-nay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:fa99e495-98cf-446f-9e6d-615f304fc79cPost:08849256-d933-48af-8e20-217650b07001">Re: Cold Soup...yay or nay..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aside from the fact that gazpacho is Spanish cuisine, not French*... some people eat cold soup, some people don't. If you're going to have a lot of less adventurous eaters as guests, I would steer clear. *<strong>Vichyssoise would be a French cold soup, though it's leeks and potatoes instead of tomato.
    </strong>Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

That was actually the name, but I figured people would know the other name better@ LOL..I couldn't remember the french name anyhow
  • Options
    Gazpacho is one of my favorite lunch options when it's 97 degrees in July, but most of my co-workers look at me like I have 3 heads.  

If you can offer more than one soup option and you expect really hot weather, I would offer it.  If you're limited to one soup option, I would try to please the masses.  
  • Options
    We had gazpacho at our wedding.  It was served in a martini glass with a breadstick.  I like gazpacho, just not too much of it, so I liked that we stuck to a smaller serving.  

That said, vichyssoise is not gazpacho.  I've seen it served both hot and cold.  I like it (when made vegetarian), but it's definitely not gazpacho.
  • Options
    melb2013melb2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2013
    I'd go with something like french onion, even though I love gazpacho!

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Another nay vote.
  • Options
    RamonaFlowersRamonaFlowers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Nay. I actually like certain cold soups, and I still think think it's a bizarre choice for wedding food, especially if you really can't imagine most of your guests going for it.

If you want a "cold" dish, why not see if you can swap out the soup for some type of French/Mediterranean antipasto course instead? That might be better received by your guests, as it's not as "strange" of a concept for most people

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options

I've never had it so don't know if I would like it or not. To be honest, I don't tend to eat at resturants that offer foods like that. But your family & friends could be a totally different story. I suggest on taking a poll between your parents & bridal party. They will give you a good feel on what the masses invited would like.

• Options
    I'd skip it because it's not going to appeal to the masses.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I vote appeal to the masses.  I like both personally, but you know you're crowd better than me.  I once went to a wedding that served lobster bisque.  I think that's a hard one for those who don't eat shellfish, but it depends on your audience.
  • Options
    Why not offer the cold soup in shot glasses during cocktail hour as one of the passed hors d'oeuvres.  Otherwise I think you are going to have a lot of wasted soup during the sit-down meal.  As for French Onion, just fyi that is made with beef stock and if you have non-red meat eaters (other than just vegetarians) they are going to need an alternative or again, it's going to go to waste.
  • Options
    i'd skip the soup all together.

• Options
    I think I have come to my answer! LOL...I was pretty sure it was gonna be a "nay", I just wanted to confirm....

I polled my family, they also said "nay"...

Normal wam choice it will be

We get soup AND salad, so...they will have plenty of food
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards