July 2012 Weddings
Options

Practicing the First Dance

For those doing a first dance, how much are you practicing it with your FI? And silly question, but where are you practicing it? We have a tiny little apartment so really isn't real space to practice it. I know some of you are taking lessons, but I'm more thinking about for those who are not. TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Practicing the First Dance

• Options
    Well, we both are deaf so we are very nervous about the first dance.

One of my students' parents are dance instructors and they are providing 2 free lessons  so we can learn how to not trip over each other. We'll be doing it at their dance studio.
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We practice in our living room. :) maybe you can practice outside?
  • Options
    We went to two private dance lessons a month ago to get a general idea of what we wanted to do, but now we have to practice it..a lot! We usually do one or two run throughs once a week. We just practice it in our living room. Could you go to your parents or friends house if they have more room? Or just practice it outside somewhere?
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Options

Well we live in an apartment in a big city, so no backyard or anything. If we practiced outside, it would be in a park, and I'd probably be really self-conscious, haha, but I guess we might need to suck it up and go for it.

@Mekiakoo - wow, I didn't realize you were doing a first dance. That is really neat! I'm sure your guests will be in such awe of you two that no one would even notice if you messed up a little.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're taking 12 dance lessons total, so there's practice there! We also practice in our small apartment. But FI is a teacher so we really want to take advantage of the gym at his school!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    FI and I will probably just practice in our living room. I didn't even think about dance lessons because FI is very natural at slow dancing so it's easy to follow his lead. Maybe practice at a friend's or parent's house that has more room?
  • Options
    We are just going to awkwardly sway like we usually do during slow dances. I'm totally cool with it. We will probably "practice" the slow sway in our living room. We, too, live in a city, so there's really no backyard, so we'll just move our furniture out of the way.

We are currently deciding on the shortest song ever so that we can get it over with very quickly. I will probably be bright red in embarrassment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    We have been practicing in our living room but we are terrible LOL.  FI brought up the idea of taking a dance lesson on Sunday, so I may look into it. 
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    I'm in the same position as Bridetobe- we'll practice the sway in our living room. Haven't decided on the song yet either, but hoping to find one that is short or can easily be cut down. FI is good at dancing but not me, I'm so uncoordinated!
    Follow me on pinterest (I do not know how to make that nice red button thing): http://pinterest.com/lizporter17/ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are awful dancers as well and picked a short Frank Sinatra song for the exact same reason as Bride.  As far was practice we have never formally said let's practice our first dance- but we have always randomly slow danced in our living room or kitchen. 
  • Options
    We picked a very short song as well (just about 2 minutes long) and our friend is going to be playing it on the guitar and singing so I'm hoping some focus will be on him too (:  I will hate everyone's eyes on me while we dance.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Options
    We're wingin it.  The first dance isn't really a big deal for us so we'll probably just sway around the floor and make inappropriate jokes about people or have a staring contest.

I suppose my cousin's wedding in June is a good place to practice....
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_practicing-the-first-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:674b3ec7-5458-4c3e-a8c7-81c65a8d259dPost:e6f48cc6-af77-40ec-8618-8e26292b263e">Re: Practicing the First Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>We're wingin it.  The first dance isn't really a big deal for us so we'll probably just sway around the floor</strong> and make inappropriate jokes about people or have a staring contest. I suppose my cousin's wedding in June is a good place to practice....
    Posted by k8888[/QUOTE]

This is what we are doing as well :) 
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I really want to take dance lessons.  We will probably practice in our living room.
  • Options
    Oh crap! I didn't even think about the fact that I would have to dance. I picked the song out and everything but never considered that everyone would be watching me and FI while we danced (yes blonde moment). Ugh - my brother and FI are getting married in June so I guess we will practice there lol.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    FI won't do dance lessons...so we're just going to wing it haha I might be able to get him to practice with me in the living room
  • Options
    Our song is actually pretty upbeat, so the sway thing doesn't work. I'm not a bad dancer, but I don't like attention on me, so it's got me feeling nervous already. And my FI is kind of an unpredictable dancer. Like... he gets really into it, but not always in a good way haha. I'll probably be laughing through our first dance at some of his moves... but at least that will keep some attention off of me lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards