Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

An informative story: Changing my name

Just thought I'd write with my changing name experience for the girls out there who havent done it yet. Had a relatively free afternoon this past Tuesday so I decided it was time to change my name! One thing to note ahead of time, make sure when you went to get your license you chose you wanted it shipped to you.. apparently this is not an automatic option. If you pay $60, you have to go pick it up. If you paid $80 it's being shipped to you. (at least this is the case in Bucks County). So if you get home from your wedding and it's not there after your honeymoon, it's probably waiting for you at the courthouse the way mine was since I had only paid the $60 mistakenly. 3pm - drove to SS office (located in Fairless Hills) - they'll make you fill out the application before getting your number to get in line, it's relatively short and even though it asks for your parents ss #'s you don't need them, just their names. You will need your ORIGINAL marriage certificate, not the photocopy. There were about 5 people in line at 3pm, so after I filled out my app, I got my number and took a seat. 5 minutes later it was my turn and I was done in about 10 more minutes. You don't get your card right away, you get a letter explaining that you applied and will get it in a week. The woman there told me to wait till I got my card to go to the DMV, but I didn't listen and went anyway because I had a feeling she was wrong. 3:30pm - left SS office and drove to DMV in Bensalem by the Neshaminy Mall. Walked in and saw a HUGE crowd so I had a feeling I was going to be there all day. Man at the desk gave me a form to fill out and bring right back to him - basic info. When I brought it back to him, my number was different than everyone elses in the main center, it was an express line for new cards - phew! I was NEXT. 2 minutes later the woman called my number, processed my info (again, needed the ORIGINAL marriage cert, not a copy) and you will need your old license as well. Handed me a photo card (yes, you do need to get a new photo taken) and told me to get in the line for the photos. Oddly enough, I was next for that as well! I guess the big crowd was mostly there was driving tests, phew. Took my picture, and had to sign my "new" signature for my license. Note: Start practicing your new signature now! I was caught off guard on this a little.. hadnt practiced enough and decided how I wanted it to look, so what I wrote that day is now stuck on my license. 5 minutes later, had my new license. All totalled ONE HOUR went by and I had both my ss info changed and a new license from the DMV. Not too shabby! So I highly recommend going around 2-3pm since you'll miss the "lunch hour" folks, and you'll be before the "I left work an hour early" folks.. :)

Re: An informative story: Changing my name

• edited December 2011
    Oh I forgot one thing - the DMV will ask for a $12 check or money order. They do NOT take cash or cc. So make sure you bring a check with you (it can be a personal check).
  • ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do they need your old SS card, or birth certificate? Or just your marriage cert.?
  • edited December 2011
    the DMV doesn't need your birth cert or old SS card, they didnt ask to see anything besides my old license and marriage license! Glad you had a pain free, quick name change! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I am so no looking forward to this process but you show that it can be quick & simply - thanks for sharing!!
  • edited December 2011
    Buttons; Nope, which was good because I dont have my old SS card, lost it when I was in high school.. All I needed was my marriage cert and drivers license. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Handed me a photo card (yes, you do need to get a new photo taken)This part isn't totally true.  You don't need to get a new photo taken. I went to the Bensalem DMV and they jsut gave me a DL Update card. No new picture necessary because my DL doesn't expire until Jan '11.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    HW - that surprises me that they didn't have you take a new photo, b/c your signature changes when your name changes.
  • edited December 2011
    IB- You have to sign the update card. It's the same kind of card that I got when my address changed when we bought our house a few years ago.
  • tunneltunnel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The lady at the SS office lied to me and told me that I couldn't keep my middle name and maiden name both as middle names.  I foolishly listened to her and had the name change processed with only my middle name.  Then I looked into it and realized she was wrong.  I had to wait for the first name change to go through to then change it to what I originally wanted (with the maiden name in there).  This whole debacle took several weeks.  Bottom line: don't listen to anyone at the SS office.  When in doubt, ask to speak to a manager.
  • edited December 2011
    (and by 'card', I mean a small yellow and white piece of paper.)
  • tunneltunnel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, I'd recommend getting your name on your license changed before changing your bank cards and credit cards over to your new name.  Some places ask to see your ID when you pay with a card, and I'd imagine they'd be suspect if the names don't match.
  • edited December 2011
    I asked if I could keep my old photo, but they said I had to get a new one. Maybe it has something to do with when your expiration date is? Mine was supposed to be in 2010, so only a year away. Not sure! Wish they would have let me just keep my old one though :)
  • edited December 2011
    I had to get a new picture taken as well and still have 3 years left on my license
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, Oodsie!  This is so well written...would you like me to adapt it a bit and add it to the blog?  There was talk earlier this week about adding this kind of info there.
  • edited December 2011
    Go for it Heather. Let me know if you need any additional info, I'd be happy to help. :)
  • FitBride77FitBride77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This was very helpful! Has anyone tried to use an online service such as MsnowMrs.com? For a fee, it is supposed to change everything for you at one time. Also, did everyone change their name before going on a honeymoon which required a passport? I was told that I should wait until I return to be sure that all my documents match.
  • edited December 2011
    I stuck everything up in the blog, oodsie!  This post made it really easy to get everything up there. FitBride, MsNowMrs. is kind of a waste, as all they do is use an algorithm to fill in all the forms for you in advance.  You still have to show up in person at various places with the forms and your marriage certificate to do the actual change.  As far as your passport...don't change it until after your honeymoon.  Yes, everything does need to match.  On top of that, it might be a few weeks before you even get your marriage certificate in the mail, so you may not be able to do it unless you're leaving on your HM months after the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards