Destination Weddings Discussions

Big AHR?

Is anyone having a big AHR? The recent posts I have read all sound like smaller AHR. I would be totally with having a small one! However...this is where "the mother" comes into play. She wants to have a BIG AHR (not formal though) since not many people will be coming to Jamaica for the wedding. I just wanted to know if this was normal, or how a big AHR worked out for someone else.

Re: Big AHR?

• I'm not one of them, but there are plenty of girls who are having the big AHR, especially those who are doing a planned elopement.  They'll probably chime in soon. :)
    Anniversary
  • Mine is in two weeks... and it is huge. We have the entire country club rented out, and are expecting over three hundred people. which is why we wanted to do a DW... LOL because we didn't want over three hundred people at the wedding!!! Ask this question again in two weeks and I will let you know how it went! :-)
  • I'm not one of them either, but there are definitely girls on here who are having  large/formal AHRs. It's a pretty good mix between girls who are having small and large ones.
  • Mine is pretty big.  200 invited but I'm expected about 150.  It's going to be casual but still at a reception hall.  Think BBQ - pulled pork, pit beef type food.  We're doing the cake cutting but that's about it for "traditional" wedding type stuff.
  • Mine will probably be big too, and not formal. We are going to do a BBQ style block party, and will invite anywhere between 150-200 people .
  • I'm having a pretty "big" AHR. There will be about 150 people and it will be pretty much like your typical wedding reception.
  • We are eloping and having an AHR (more of a party than a reception) with our families two weeks after we get back.  We invited about 90 people and expect 70-80.  We decided not to invite friends which would push the count up alot and way above our budget.  I could see decisions being more of a challege if your mother is helping you plan.  My mom has layed low and gone with the flow on all my decisions.  But FI and I are also paying for everything.  I suppose if our parents were paying for all or some of it, they would have more input.  Sounds like you and your mother need to have a heart-to-heart about what you want for your wedding.  Hope it all works out!
  • We're having a big AHR, about 275-300+ people. It's not going to be formal at all b/c that's really not our style. I would love to be able to have a BBQ outside, but since we're getting married in Nov. we didn't want to drag out the wedding stuff that long. I was really stressed out at first, but now I've come to the conclusion that it's going to be what it's going to be and really it's about celebrating w/ our fam and friends that won't be in Hawaii.
  • We have 56 people cruising with us, and are planning on doing a laid back AHR the weekend after we return. Since we are doing it in FMIL's back yard we are limited to 130 and plan on inviting everyone local that we sent out invites to the cruise and about 40 people that we did not invite on the cruise (co-workers, old friends, neighbors).
  • We started off not having one at all due to the expense.....By my MIL has asked us to reconsider.  It is my fiance's first wedding and my second, so I would have prefered to even elope, but I'll take it into consideration if its what my fiance wants.  I don't mind having an AHR party, its just the stress of the planning I don't want and even though my MIL wants us to have it, she is (a) not paying for it and (b) not going to help us plan it so its something we have to think about since it would end up being a party for probably about 100 people!!!The only bummer is that living in NY, we can't have a backyard thing at least until May (we're getting married November 7th) and if I want to do an AHR, the latest I'd like to wait is January.My 2 cents is, if you have one - let it be a reflection of you and your fiance and if its a big party, then go for it and if its a BBQ then go for it!  I just made it known from the beginning with my MIL that this will be our decision...
  • I am hoping for a smaller AHR - but my immediate family is huge. We are waiting until next summer sometime and are going to send out casual open house invite postcards - trying to keep with the casual theme. Most of my family is 1 1/2 hours away or more and are big camping people so most of them will probably bring their campers and stay the weekend. We also live in a small town of 2000 people so the "motel" isn't much to stay at, and we have the room in our yard. I am trying to gear it more towards a house warming style party with a picnic/BBQ family reunion style. We'll see! I also don't plan on doing any traditional reception activities like wearing my dress, bouquet/garter toss, dance, etc. The only wedding related items will be pictures & video out or people to see if they haven't yet, since it will be 6+ months after.
  • We're doing a planned elopement and the AHR guest list for brunch is at 90-something if you include the kids who are also invited.
  • We're getting married in January and having an AHR in April.  We're planning a tradition reception with dinner, first dances, etc.  We're invited about 180 people.
  • We are having a "celebration party" after we return with approx 125-150 people. It is the first wedding for both of us, and the in-laws kind of wanted us to be able to include the whole family and anyone else who couldnt go to the destination.  We are probably having it at a golf/country club, and its going to be a lunch (because I want it more informal and also its cheaper) from about 12-3 maybe. We arent doing anything traditional. We are having a cupcake tier instead of a cake, and none of the dances, etc. We will show the wedding photos and video. Basically just to celebrate the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards