Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Back w/ Sandals Negril review/ info

Hello Hottie Knotties!!!   Of course this is a long one...grab a drink if you're going to make it through this!DH and I made it home and we're already planning our next trip back to Jamaica!  It's that great!   We arrived in Negril on 9/30 along with MOH and her hubby.  Having the first night with just the 4 of us was great!  Upon arrival at Sandals Negril we were given cold towels and rum punch (of course).  DH and I were upgraded to a nicer room than booked, but we still weren't overlooking the ocean.  And after seeing MOH's oceanfront view that she booked, we really regretted not booking one.  The resort did upgrade a few days later from our Negril Premium room to a Honeymoon Beachfront Suite when it became available. That was fabulous, but the road was behind us and you could hear it get busy in the early AM...I like getting up early, so it didn't bother me too much.  The room was big, had vaulted ceilings, and was perfect...esp since it was full of people on our wedding day!Our guests arrived Thursday & Friday.  Our homemade super-cool luggage tags made it very easy to see from one of the swimup pool bars if people arriving onto the property were our friends and family!  So "GO COOL LUGGAGE TAGS!"  (I got a ton of compliments on them going through the airports and at the resort too!).We put our OOT bags together before our guests arrived.  We did this on MOH's balcony overlooking the sea!  Everyone absolutely LOVED them!!!  We tagged each item in the bag with a little quirky note...which made them soooo personable!  Then we stuffed them with a lot of colorful tissue paper (I'll post pics in my bio soon).  Guests loved having the bug repellent wipes because we all now know what a "no-see-um" is!  We also realized the little koozies we provided fit the cups at the Sandals resorts perfectly!  It was like I planned it (and I found them for 33 cents at Christmas Tree Shops!!!).  I'm sure that the other things in them got used too, but those 2 items kept showing up!!!  To deliver the OOT bags we had fun...we hung them on people's doors, knocked, then ran and hid!  HA!  (we're just big kids at heart!)Though it rained every afternoon, it didn't last long.  One day it rained for about 2 hours, but it gave everyone time to regroup from being at the poolbar all morning and get ready for our trip to Ricks Cafe ($20 pp roundtrip shuttle) that we planned early that evening (which was very cool and very fun and Red Stripes were only $3 - yup, Shane and I jumped from the cliffs too - we took the leap the night before we too THE LEAP!  We were the only ones in our group to jump...I jumped from the weenie cliff though...that was good enough for me).Having the free water sports onsite was awesome!  A group of us went on a snorkeling trip one afternoon and that was even more than I expected (the Sandals snorkeling crew were AWESOME!!!).  Shane and I also utilized the kayaks and enjoyed a romantic ride together one morning after breakfast.The restaurants were great...our favorite being the 4Cs.  It's Italian and you create your own dish (pick your pasta, sauce, meat, & extras...mmmmmm).We just had the basic "free" Weddingmoon package.  Our meeting with the WC (Roccio) was scheduled for the day after we arrived.  We met with her in with our Dirty Banana's and Caribbean Dreams in tow...with beach gear ready (well, we were actually in our swimsuits/ coverups)!  The meeting was wonderful and fun!  Though she did offer us upgrades, she was not pushy about it at all.  Roccio was wonderful!!!The staff there was wonderful period!  They all got to know us very quickly (we were a group of 18 people - and that's just who was actually staying there).  Others that weren't staying on the property actually had no issues just walking up from the beach and enjoying a few hours with us from time to time (not on the wedding day...everyone was sure to pay the fee required that day).  And while I'm thinking about it...sometimes the same question gets a different answer in Jamaica...for example, a few of our wedding day guests staying offsite were charged $135 per couple while others were charged the $135 per person (which is what the fee actually is).The wedding day:  Shane and I got up early, walked off property, bought a few things, had breakfast, then hit the pool.  Offsite guests were arriving early to take full advantage of their guest passes (full day = 10A - 2A).  I did enjoy a few strawberry daquaris before heading to my hair appointment at the spa.  They did a great job on my hair and I also had my nails touched up while there.  I headed back to my room to get ready with my MOH and there were people in and out of my room, the phone was ringing off the hook, it was kind of chaos and I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!  Wouldn't have it any other way!  It also kept me too busy to think about what lie ahead...meeting my Honey at the end of that aisle!The day of our wedding it only sprinkled...so no cooling it off a bit for us like it had other days.  It was the hottest day there...and the prettiest!  I was thanked a 1000 times over for the PALM FANS and "Tears of Joy" packets!!!  Our guests LOVED them and would have melted for sure without them!!!  We wed in the ocean gazebo.  Roccio took care of the music (we had taken a Bose system to play our music through our iPod, but I also put it on a CD...we just used the CD and Sandals had a "boombox"...it worked out great).The Minister/ ceremony:  I did rewrite the ceremony...the poor minister.  He hadn't seen it until the ceremony and we all listened to him stumble over the verbiage.  It was quite endearing though...and perfect to me because it was kind of quirky (healthy = "hearty".  We also had omitted reciting our own vows before the exchange of the rings...the minister must have thought that we just weren't exchanging rings because he announced us man and wife and we hadn't done that yet!  Thanks to the photographer (who will be at the wedding regardless if you book a photo package or not), the minister finally understood what I meant when I kept mouthing to him "the rings" and pointing to my finger (which you can soooo see in the video my uncle recorded for us)!  HA!  Again...this was very amusing to us...and mainly my fault for trying to be clever!The sand ceremony:  Loved it!  We used champagne flutes from the resort.  We used craft sand that we took for one of us and the other used sand from the beach (of course!).  It was perfect.  The flutes did not fill the container, but the timing was perfect and we just finished filling them on our own later.  However...coming home with the container of sand...first the bus ride to the airport settled the sand (even though we shook and stuffed as much sand into the container as possible).  This left just enough room for the guy at customs to shake the crap out of our beautiful super-cool sand vase!!!  Grrrrrr...I just about teared-up and had to beg him to quit freakin' shaking it!!!  Pictures/ photog:  Though the photog got on our guests nerves because he was *right there* in front of us the whole time, we really needed him.  Had it not been for him, I might still be trying to explain that we need to exchange rings.  He knew right where to put us and gave great direction.  He also had to dab the sweat off of us in the middle of the ceremony...we made it comical and I was much appreciative of his assistance with that!!!  And even if you don't hire the photog you fill out a questionaire about what pictures you want taken.  So I got a few of the shots that I knew that I wanted that included our whole group.  After the group photos, he led Shane and I through the property and got amazing photos in the gardens, on the beach, everywhere.After the ceremony:  One of the smartest things I did was send my uncles a little pamphlet of "must take pics".  While some guests took a dip before dinner or had drinks, a few of us did our photo shoot!  It was great fun and before we knew it, nearly all of our guests were into it!  And everyone LOVED the KK...they had us posing all around with it...everyone got a real kick that it is traveling around to all of the different weddings (and Natalie, I will be sending it your way within the next day or two!!!)  The BAD of this...my uncles posed us by a tree...would have been a great place for pics had I not been standing in a mound of freakin FIRE ANTS!  They were all telling me that it was just "sand fleas"...BS!  Finally Shane saw them engulfing the bottom of my dress!  He became my hero and had to help get them off of me!!!  The look on my face in the pics are kind of funny because you can tell that something is not quite right...that was before I bolted out of there!Dinner:  Though we didn't upgrade our wedding package, Sandals arranged for our whole party to have a special dinner in the Bayside restaurant (the only restaurant that could really accomodate our group of 29).  They set up 3 big tables and had a personalized menu out for our guests to choose from (they probably did this more for their benefit than for mine).  But the menus were very cool with our wedding info on the front, names, date, etc...it was very unexpected and soooooooo neat-o!  I've never been on a menu before!  Guests chose 1 of 2 soups offered,  salad, 1 of 3 entrees, and 1 of 3 desserts.  But we were also given a 2-tier wedding cake that was plenty for all of our guests!  Dinner was good...but it was sooooo long (2 hours)!  We then cut the cake and hit the piano bar (where we spent most of our nights).After dinner:  we danced and danced under the glow of the full moon!  The piano bar is right on the beach with a pool and hot tub right there.  We didn't need more (until 2:30A when we needed to hit the beach grill for a snack!).It really was the best day of our lives!  SOOOOO much fun...SOOOOOO beautiful...and SOOOOOO hot!  I wouldn't change a thing!!!The good:  EVERYTHING - the people, the salon, the unexpected extras, and the resort as a whole!The bad:  Leaving the next day and going to Sandals Grande Ocho Rios The ugly:  My feet and ankles for a day after standing in freakin' frackin' FIRE ANTS!The funny:  The resort decorated MOH's room with our wedding night stuff (rose pedals, love stuff, our shirts)...they were given her room # since I originally thought that I'd get ready in there.  I told her hubby not to tell her...maybe he'd get lucky too.  HA!Feel free to contact me if you have questions about anything...and sorry this got sooooo long...I about teared up writing this and reliving our details...for that I thank this board again for being so wonderful.  And don't think that I wasn't thanking all of you every single day for your :::good weather vibes:::!!!  You were all on my mind a lot over the past 2 weeks!!!No problems, mon.

Re: Back w/ Sandals Negril review/ info

• Options
    Congrats, I'm so happy for you that everything went as planned. I've already wrote down a lot of your ideas and will probably steal them. hahahah. If you think of anything else please post it, I'm doing the opposite of you...getting married at Sandals Ocho and honeymooning at Sandals Negril. I'm so excited after hearing all of your details. Thanks again.What a wonderful story. Many blessings.
  • Options
    Congrats!  I'm glad everything went so well for you!  Love the new siggy pic!
  • Options
    Welcome back! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed everything!! That's what it's all bout, right?? :)btw, you have totally convinced me to plan our (hopefully) next vacation at a Sandals resort. FI & I are both colder weather people, but after hearing so many good things about Sandals, we definitely have to give it a try in the next couple of years.
  • Options
    Welcome home MRS! Glad to hear all the details about the wedding. I love looking at the pictures on FB and can't wait to see more!!! And that is pretty funny about them decorating your MOH's room!! :)
  • Options
    Congrats Mrs!! Thank you for the full recap. I was smiling ear to ear while reading it. I chucked a little at your fire ant story. :-) It sounds like you had a very memorable and amazing "Weddingmoon"! I hope our Sandals experience is as great as yours (minus the fire ants of course)!! Congrats again!
  • Options
    WELCOME BACK!!I'm so gald everything turned out so great! Love the new siggy pic. I must go to Jamaica now :)
  • Options
    Sounds like it was a blast!!  Thanks for all the info!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Jenni!!! Love it!  Many congrats and a WOOHOO!  I've been to Negril so I felt like I totally knew exactly what you were talking about.  So glad to hear all was well, except for the fire ant thing.
  • Options
    Once again, Congrats and Welcome back!!!
  • Options
    Welcome back MRS! Looks like you had a wonderful time!
  • Options
    Welcome back MRS! So glad to hear everything went so well. We had Roccio too and loved her! Congrats! =)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Congrats Jenni!!!!! And thanks for the post, I teared up reading it myself LOL. I'm happy everything went so well for you(minus the fire ants lol)! =) I can't wait to see pics!
  • Options
    CONGRATS MRS. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I was thinking of you too and hoping everything went well. I was telling FI all about how I wish we could see Jenni at the airport. LOL!We had perfect weather just like like the Jamaican  saying goes "October all over""Good Luck with the AHR this weekend. I understand being in the "no worries mon" mindset. Ahhhh... Jamaica is so relaxing.My AHR is next weekend and is a formal affair with over 100 geusts. Soooooo I have plenty to do even though I wish we just had something small since Jamaica was sooooo perfect.Have a ball this weekend Mrs.!!!
  • Options
    Congratulations on everything!!!I see you really enjoyed yourself.  I wanted to ask, for the reception did you have to pay for the dinner (I see you where saying that you had to wait 2 hours) I'm getting married next Sept @ sandals negril also and would like 2 know what you did for the reception.  Thanks in advance!!   :-)
    Visit The Knot! Daisypath Wedding tickers Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards