Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

I want to use a travel agency and FI think it's a waste of $

He thinks we can find better deals ourselves and that we will get ripped off by using one of these companies.

At this point I just want to decide on a place and book it, I don't even care if it's a couple hundred more than what we can find with hours of research.

Thoughts??

*sigh*

Re: I want to use a travel agency and FI think it's a waste of $

• Options
    I personally agree with your FI. I am the type of person that likes to seek things out for myself and gets excitement out of researching stuff on my own. But to each their own. If you are fed up doing it yourself then go for a TA. There's no harm in it.
  • Options
    I think it's a personal decision, and there isn't a right or wrong answer.

That being said, I went with a TA because I like idea that there is a person to talk to if anything goes wrong. I also like the insight he gave regarding resort options and locations. I did a lot of the research along side our TA, and found that their prices are quite comparable with discount sites. Our guests had the option of booking with our TA or doing it themselves --- and it was split about half and half. I can tell you that I carefully watched out for our guests, and those that booked with TA got the same if not better deal than those who booked it themselves.

If you do go the TA route, I recommend Beach Bum. Like most TAs, they don't charge anything to use their service, and they are excellent to work with. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I booked everything thru travelocity and haven't had any problems, my mom booked hers thru them as well, but she is flying back on Sunday (we are flying back on Monday) and she has had some issues with flights changing (there is only 1 flight out of St Thomas I guess) but they have just rebooked the flights for her and even offered to pay for another night in the hotel and let her leave a day later because of the hassels.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    thanks all!

Crazi- who did you use at BeachBum?
  • Options
    I went with a TA thru our local AAA travel agency. It didn't cost us a thing to work with her. She gets paid by Sandals, so we don't have to foot the bill.

I liked the idea of a real person my guests (and myself) can call and email if they have questions. She will take care of all the arrangements and will deal with the WC at Sandals for me too. It's been a lot easier having a TA take care of all the little details for me. And since it isn't costing me anything, why not?
  • Options
    I'm using Steve.

If nothing else, you could contact beach bum (or any TA) just get a quote or basic ideas. It's a good place to start - and it won't cost you anything. Then you can make an informed decision on if you'd rather use them or DIY.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    we went with FI's moms TA and he has been great.  we choose this way to minimize the stress of searching and searching and searching for the prefect deal.  We decided on a budget of what we wanted to spend on airfare and hotel and let him do the rest it was great.  and he has been really fast at his responses to all of my emails. 
    but I think it is personal prefrence really.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Travel agents dont cost anything typically-I am with Destination Weddings and they don't.  I have had a great deal of success so far..and personally liked having someone there to help me and my guests.  It is a personal decision!
  • Options

I have always ben the party/travel planner for out group but I went with a TA for the wedding and I will tell you why. My aunt went on a trip to the Turks & Cacaos a few years back and had a horrid experience. She had booked with a TA and the TA took the headache out of her hands, dealt with the problems, got everything fixed and got her a free trip thrown in. This is what swayed me. I am not looking for problems but if they are there I want them to be someone else's headache. That plus the travel insurance were the selling points for me.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_want-use-travel-agency-fi-think-its-waste-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:2cfa3a5f-cc7f-40de-b68c-7c42f8079e43Post:c20be2f0-c045-4e81-a358-4320c49ef534">Re: I want to use a travel agency and FI think it's a waste of $</a>:
    [QUOTE]Travel agents dont cost anything typically-I am with Destination Weddings and they don't.  I have had a great deal of success so far..and personally liked having someone there to help me and my guests.  It is a personal decision!
    Posted by SimplyMistaken[/QUOTE]
    Well, they don't cost you an upfront fee, per se.  But that's because they get their money from commissions or contracts with transportation and accommodation businesses, so they'll steer you to those businesses b/c they can get "deals" there, and because that's their income source.  Which means that even if you can get a better deal with a different company or a private owner, they aren't going to send you that route.<div>
    </div><div>For example, for HI, it would have cost us a lot more to book comparable accommodations with the TA than we could get on our own.  This was b/c she was booking us with big companies who run hotels and condo-like rooms, but we can book ourselves into privately-owned condos, where we found much better deals.</div>
  • Options
    I personally would go with your Fi's line of thinking, but I enjoy looking things up and finding deals on travel. However, if this is something that you don't want to do and Fi says he will do it but keeps putting it off (not that I personally know any Fi's that do this kind of thing Tongue out), I would go with a travel agent. I like pp's ideas to get an idea of what a travel agent can find do (without having to pay them if you can) and do some preliminary comparisons with what you and Fi can find online.
  • Options

I would recommend getting a TA--unless you have a small group going.  I had SO many questions regarding the resort, airlines, etc. that it was a blessing to have our travel agent.

One of our guest's flight was cancel and I was so glad our TA was there to deal with the airline, etc.  I say save youself the stress and go with them.  Also, we didn't pay any more because they get paid commission off of the agencies they book through (ie Funjet).  She was going to charge everyone $20 but I told her that we found one that didn't charge that so she dropped that.

Good Luck!

• Options
    Well so I did both I guess and ultimately went with my TA. I researched on my own then went to a TA for advice and you know what, I would get the same "deal" doing it on my own or through her. I'm big at making sure I get the deals and I'm not taken advantage of so I definitely made sure that I looked up what she was quoting me from what they give me as an individual and you know - SAME DEAL! so yes, my TA doesn't charge me she gets comission but I do check to make sure she's not taking me for a ride... even though I trust her, I won't do it if I'm getting duped. I'm on a budget you know!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Our TA Nancy from MYislandgetaways.com did not charge us a penny in fact we made out better monetarily using our TA and saved alot of money for other things. We received some sweet free upgrades for ourselves and our guests and extra massages etc. I never could have gotten that on my own, plus I was going to school and working and frankly would have not had the time or energy to do everything they did for us.
    GL
  • Options
    i am a married lurking and just wanted to let you know that you should never have to pay a TA exspecailly if you are going to an all inclusive.  all resort include a TA fee in their prices and the TA gets paid through them.  just wanted to let you know what i learned.  plus, with a TA they can keep all your guest together and there is always the perks of upgrades!

happy planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards