Destination Weddings Discussions

OH BOOO! Airfare!

YIKES... I just found out that the prices for airfare to DR from Chicago went up by like 200 per person compared to where they were the last few months :(

I know I can't let the stress get to me, but I feel bad for the slackers that haven't booked....  I bought my tickets back in Sept (when I was encouraging the bridal party and other important people to book...which haven't) and they were about $260 less than what my MOH got qouted yesterday... now she is freaking out because she is a family of 5 and $250 more per person comes out to more than she expected...so now she needs to either pay it, not take her kids even though she already told them they were all going... or not go at all :(

I can't help to stress out about it...  that means that people that haven't booked yet that said they were going might not go anymore after they find out about the price jump... AND if people were complaining to me about the price before, I definitely won't hear the end of it till June now... That makes me sad.  I asked our TA if there is a chance they might drop but he said that they prices are in the  normal range now...that they used to be uncommonly low and those that booked early got lucky.

Anyway... I just wanted to vent a little :(
Jen's Bio ~ Updated 4/30/2012
The day I married my best friend!

Anniversary

Re: OH BOOO! Airfare!

• jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    Oh no that is aweful! They should've jumped at those prices! I bought my Hawaii airfare in August and they are now up over 200 more per ticket as well. Hopefully the gas prices go down and the tickets go down so everyone will be able to go for your wedding. In the meantime can you contact the airline and see if they will give a discount for a group of people? If so, then you can tell everyone to get booking!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Airlines give the crappiest group rates. Like 5%. There is a chance the price will go down...might have to bank on a last minute deal or something. Airfare is so expensive right now ! My FI paid $450 to go to CR 2 years ago and now it is at $650. Grrrrr.

I have found the best time to look is on a Tuesday or Wednesday. And 3 months is typically when airlines start releasing cheaper airfare if they are desperate to fill seats. And the will release more discounts close to the date if they need seats filled. But they go FAST.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just heard from my MOH... turns out she's going to go alone and for the shortest amount of time possible which is 3 night :(  I feel bad... she's going to be 5 1/2 months preggo and alone on a vacation....

BUT at the same time..... I did tell her to try and put a deposit down early.... 

why do I feel guilty????

Anniversary
  • This is what is happening with a few of my guests who originally said they were coming. Tickets have gone up now it's closer to my wedding and people are complaining about the expense, even though I had sent out emails when there were previous great deals. Ugh!
  • I feel the same way ! Our prices are pretty high because it is a holiday and I feel guilty. Especially because I expected them to be a lot lower (b/c they were when FI have traveled there before). A lot of people have paid so much for their flights...I feel like I should do something extra for them. Was thinking of buying their shuttles from the airports but they are pretty expensive ($250 each because the location is 4-5 hours away). But it would help out a lot for people on a budget.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • O Jenn I am sorry!  I am feeling that way too!  Airfare has gone up a couple hundred dollars for us as well and people keep complaining about it.  It is so stressful, but there is nothing we can do about it.  I'm glad she is still coming and will be there for you. 

Our Wedding- June 15, 2012- Jamaica
    imageAnniversary

Samantha's Bio~Updated 5/15/12

DW Siggy Website
  • I'm surprised you gals are all hearing so many complaints about the prices.  It's not like you're forcing anyone to go, or that you didn't give them the heads up when tickets were cheaper, or even that you can do anything about the prices even if you wanted to.  Whatever happened to being gracious as a guest?  Either you attend and work out your own details, or you don't, but guilting the hosts around the cost to your family just seems inappropriately whiney, KWIM?

I'm sorry prices have jumped, but am glad to hear your MOH is still making every effort to be there, even if it's not so ideal as initially planned!
  • I completely agree with you ! Sometimes I just want to tell people "if you dont like it then dont come!" ... but then i contain myself...lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_oh-booo-airfare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:55485747-e9fb-4f0a-b036-cd536f105908Post:d136647c-afd5-4c95-976c-567a7ec07c9b">Re: OH BOOO! Airfare!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Airlines give the crappiest group rates. Like 5%. There is a chance the price will go down...might have to bank on a last minute deal or something. Airfare is so expensive right now ! My FI paid $450 to go to CR 2 years ago and now it is at $650. Grrrrr. <font color="#ff0000"><strong>I have found the best time to look is on a Tuesday or Wednesday.</strong></font> And 3 months is typically when airlines start releasing cheaper airfare if they are desperate to fill seats. And the will release more discounts close to the date if they need seats filled. But they go FAST.
    Posted by Erinkathleen84[/QUOTE]

<div>This!!!  Booking on a Tuesday night is the best.  Another thing to try is actually going TO the airport, and getting the best deal.  And orbitz/priceline type sites may not be the way to go.  Visit the actual airlines website.  I saved over $100 doing that for my upcoming flight in May! </div>
  • Thanks everyone!  I definitley didn't expect for my guests to whine the way they have but I should have... my family are not big travelers... so this is all new to them.

Either way.... things turned around yesterday luckily and my MOH was able to find a great deal for her and her family :)  She ended up using a different Travel Agency than the one we are using (BBV) which may or may not be the way to go..but at this point I am telling the remaining people that need to book to just go ahead and book on their own where ever they find the best deal.  That way their travel is in their hands.

AHHHHH... just 90 more days!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards