Name Poll

My monthly board got me thinking...
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Name Poll

• Options
    amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm taking Tim's last name.... although I like mine better.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am sick of my last name, I am going to change it. I will hyphenate it on FB for a while though, just to not confuse people... :)
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_name-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:15b6da5b-e7a7-424e-ae37-bb8b8b3b2e1ePost:7a39c3ea-d682-4356-b392-cc7b0bf38c29">Re: Name Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm taking Tim's last name.... although I like mine better.
    Posted by amy727[/QUOTE]

haha this.

I took DH's last name
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    edited December 2011
    I begrudgingly took his name.
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm currently stuck w/ exh's last name legally, and I hate my maiden name. There's no question. I'm taking his. :)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    a.lemma4a.lemma4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm taking FI's last name even though I LOVE my last name.

I think I'm going to move my last name to my middle name. So I will be (First name) (My last name) (FI's last name). No hyphenation.
    Siggy Challenge - Favorite Pic of FI - Tan and Fuzzy, Just the way I like him ;-) imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    edited December 2011
    Looks like I'm the lone person keeping her name.  FI's totally cool with it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ev - you're a lawyer though, right?  I would keep my name in that case too.  Lawyer, doctor, etc.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lemma- my mom did that.  We always joke with her because her name was Gail Ann, so we say she didn't want her initials to go from GAY to GAS so she chose to be GYS. hahaha
    Photobucket
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_name-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:15b6da5b-e7a7-424e-ae37-bb8b8b3b2e1ePost:b56f32bd-478c-4a2c-a4dd-68c669c510ca">Re: Name Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I begrudgingly took his name.
    Posted by Amerbutt81[/QUOTE]

Same here.

There was no way I was going to hyphenate, it would have been 9 letters -hyphen- 9 letters. Way too long.

Ev,I think that's normal. If I was working on/finished my doctorate, it would have been a more difficult decision.
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • Options
    FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

FI last name is so much cooler. And it's hyphenated from when his great-great-great- grandparents got married.

*~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    edited December 2011
    Yep, I'm a lawyer.  Most of the married ladies in the office did the hyphenated or middle name thing.  I didn't really want to change it in the first place, and the thought of having to change all of my licenses really made me not want to change it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Taking his, and I like his more, not that mine is that bad though. I would also keep mine though if I was in a profession where I would want to.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    a.lemma4a.lemma4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Name Poll:
    [QUOTE]lemma- my mom did that.  We always joke with her because her name was Gail Ann, so we say she didn't want her initials to go from GAY to GAS so she chose to be GYS. hahaha
    Posted by Jesster153[/QUOTE]

LOL!
    Siggy Challenge - Favorite Pic of FI - Tan and Fuzzy, Just the way I like him ;-) imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's just the weather, but now I'm getting a little bitter thinking about how I miss my maiden name. I had that name for 29 years! And it's an old Philadelphia name (the street that I share a name with is named after a great great great great grandfather - I think that's the right amount of greats).
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since taking H's Puerto Rican last name, I already got a funny look at the doctor's office and got a spanish-speaking customer service call.  Do you prefer English?  Why yes, I actually require it.
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    edited December 2011
    I LOOOOVE my maiden name.  I wanted to hyphenate my name (at least for professional reasons) but he was like " No, my children will have my last name" , even though I explained to him many times that our children will have his last name no matter what mine is. 
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    edited December 2011
    We have actually talked about what we would do with our kids' last names.  FI isn't super into his last name, and he even mentioned that the kids could take mine if I wanted.  I kind of like the idea... is that horrible of me?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_name-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:15b6da5b-e7a7-424e-ae37-bb8b8b3b2e1ePost:a1e5ad8d-96b3-4487-bf38-875f4778dd7e">Re: Name Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have actually talked about what we would do with our kids' last names.  FI isn't super into his last name, and he even mentioned that the kids could take mine if I wanted.  I kind of like the idea... is that horrible of me?
    Posted by ev4149[/QUOTE]

No, as long as you both agree I don't think it matters whose name they take. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm taking Gzilla's name... even though mine is way easier to pronounce and spell. 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_name-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:15b6da5b-e7a7-424e-ae37-bb8b8b3b2e1ePost:a1e5ad8d-96b3-4487-bf38-875f4778dd7e">Re: Name Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have actually talked about what we would do with our kids' last names.  FI isn't super into his last name, and he even mentioned that the kids could take mine if I wanted.  I kind of like the idea... is that horrible of me?
    Posted by ev4149[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's horrible at all!
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll take his last name, maybe then I can stop having to spell it.  FI wants me to hyphenate because, like nicole, it'll be  8 letters - 6 letters (ok not as bad as nicole).  I thought about having 2 middle names: firstname originalmiddlename maidenname hislastname... but that'll be long
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm taking his last name, but moving my maiden name to my middle name.

I joke with FI that I will hyphenate and create a super name that would never fit on forms, ever (total 17 letters).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whenever I was thinking about the hyphenating nightmare and my desire to keep my name, it would make me think about the scene in Father of the Bride 2 where they're talking about making up a new last name with a combination of the letters in their last names (I think one was Zinckman). And they talk about hyphenating and naming the baby Cooper Banks-Mackenzie (which someone comments sounds like a law firm).

I never went as far to figure out what names I could make with the combination, but I'm sure there could have been some winners (as I have a Z and a W to work with)!
  • Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted other.
    I will be keeping my last name and he will be keeping his.
    We will however have the same last name becuase we already do.

And yes Im sure we aren't related
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_name-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:15b6da5b-e7a7-424e-ae37-bb8b8b3b2e1ePost:e4631e0a-5c66-4820-8bef-87fe4cc6f3f5">Re: Name Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]And yes Im sure we aren't related
    Posted by CaitC21[/QUOTE]

Sounds like someone gets this question a lot!!!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_name-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:15b6da5b-e7a7-424e-ae37-bb8b8b3b2e1ePost:c8621c8e-61a1-495f-934c-bb67497513e3">Re: Name Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whenever I was thinking about the hyphenating nightmare and my desire to keep my name, it would make me think about <strong>the scene in Father of the Bride 2 where they're talking about making up a new last name with a combination of the letters in their last names (I think one was Zinckman). And they talk about hyphenating and naming the baby Cooper Banks-Mackenzie</strong> (which someone comments sounds like a law firm). I never went as far to figure out what names I could make with the combination, but I'm sure there could have been some winners (as I have a Z and a W to work with)!
    Posted by LadyJ10[/QUOTE]

Im glad you pointed this out because I was thinking of the same thing hahaha

That and the Friends (of course) where Ross and his ex wife and lesbian lover were trying to decided on last names...
    "you want our baby to be willick-gellar-bunch?....pretty sure thats bordering on child abuse"
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm stupid and kept my last name as an additial middle name, not hypenated.  So my name is now Jessica middle name old last name new last name. I felt bad just cutting it out completely and I like my middle name.
  • Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_name-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:15b6da5b-e7a7-424e-ae37-bb8b8b3b2e1ePost:5c619df9-d218-46ab-bf20-4dbd7838e235">Re: Name Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name Poll : Sounds like someone gets this question a lot!!!
    Posted by LadyJ10[/QUOTE]

You have no idea.

And it's not like I have a weird or uncommon last name.

I can name a football player, a tv family that used my last name, and a girl who I went to school with this last name.

Give it a break people, yes I am sure lol
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • Options
    a.lemma4a.lemma4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I was worried about cutting my middle name out but then when I was talking to my Mom she couldn't even remember if she gave it to me or if it was my confirmation name LOL. I know for a fact it wasn't my confirmation name and that it was given to me, but since it doesn't mean anything to her (obviously haha) I'm just cutting it out altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards