Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

New to this but not to Jamaica

Hey everyone!

My Fi and I have decided to do a DW in Jamacia becuase thats where the rest of my family is from and even though its not until January 2014, Im stressed! (I feel silly) 

My Fi and i are planning on booking appointments with some travel agents so that we can set budgets and begin to learn what were planning because other than the save the dates, we have NO IDEA where to start!

I bought destination weddings for dummies but what have all of you done to start the process?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New to this but not to Jamaica

• Options
    FI and I chose Jamaica too!  Mostly because we really wanted to have our DW somewhere we've never been before.

Choosing the island was tough and so was choosing the resort. I did a lot of google searching, price comparisons and when I found several resorts within my and what I think was a resonable budget for our guests (as far as staying at the resort) I started looking at the wedding packages, pricing and what's offered and also reviews on tripadvisor and a bunch of other sites.  My TA suggested Sandals and it was actually one of the resorts on my list so FI and I decided it was the right choice for us.  We definitely wanted an adult only all inclusive.

Also, I am going with their free wedding package and not really adding anything to it.  It's the least stressful option for me, esp since I have not had anytime to devote to DIY projects/figuring out wedding details since I am cramming for exams.  Jules should chime in and talk about Iberostar soon. 

We chose Sandals Negril b/c of all that I hear about the beautiful beaches I really wanted to be on Negril.

Lots of luck to you!  If you have any questions about Sandals I can definitely help you as best i can :-)  Hope you stick around!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_new-to-this-but-not-to-jamaica?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:e915d597-1d7e-4b76-8ac1-1791c2da90fePost:a7b4b515-ff97-4ca5-85f8-5397b4296e2c">Re: New to this but not to Jamaica</a>:
    [QUOTE] Hope you stick around!
    Posted by Julyet06[/QUOTE]
    OH I WILL! destination brides arent really catered to! I have four other friends that just got engaged and its so different dealing with the DW. I read through this forum last night and I KNEW ya'll could help me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    awesome!!  yea no matter where we all are getting married the ideas we all share apply to almost every bride!  this is a great group!  i'm also secretly glad you will stay for selfish reasons...I believe you may have the inside scoop to what i should see while in Jamaica lol!!  Aside from being beach bums, I want to take at least 2 days with FI in sight seeing/doing excursions and one day with the wedding guests...I want to get to Ocho Rios for sure!  we have 8 nights in Negril!
  • Options
    I'm trying to figure out all that! I know there has to be a few days with the family in mandeville but I don't know any other ideas yet. Are you going to Dunn river falls? I didn't go when I was there as a kid and I regret it
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Heeeeey, yes I'm here to chime in now!!! Congrats... And yay to another Jamaica bride!!! I'm getting married there in a little over 5 weeks at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites. It's just outside of montego bay... Basically a party off it. We used beach bum vacation (Melissa) to help us narrow down the selection and we've heard nothing but amazing reviews from that resort! Were also planning on doing a few excursions... Def dunns, prob a party cruise on catamaran... Nic you should do the catamaran to Ricks cafe... It goes from Negril and i hear it has the best sunsets ever! We also plan to zip line! Milfette, you def have to keep us posted on what you decide! :)
  • Options
    Welcome!! I am not a Jamaica bride, but I've been there before and had a blast! I started by also figuring out what the budget was and going from there. We decided on DR because aside from FI and I, and maybe less than a handful of guests, I don't think anyone else has been there. I knew the Caribbean would offer the cheapest airfare in general (though it is still higher than it's been!). I just started looking for all inclusive hotels that did weddings. I stumbled upon my hotel (Dreams Punta Cana) and just went from there. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My name is Britney btw. we've booken in with some travel Planners to give us ideas on what the planning will look like as well as some realistic ideas on budgets
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards