California-Northern
Options

Kerosene Lanterns

So my FMIL is freaking out about us lighting lanterns...   Previously, we had planned on wrapping up the reception around 6 or so.  Now, it is going until 7:30.  Thus, we need light. I have already purchased lanterns (PIB) as part of our centerpieces.  There will be smaller ones on all of the cocktail tables.  The cocktail tables surround the dance floor.  I thought we could hang the big lanterns from tall shepherds hooks throughout the area.My FMIL thinks that some drunkard will set the place on fire.  Your thoughts/opinions? 

Re: Kerosene Lanterns

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you were going until 11pm, maybe. But, are there really people who will be THAT drunk at 7:30? You know the crowd better than we do. I think it would be fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, I do not think people will be that drunk.  It will be a long reception though.  (About 6 hours in all.)   She is a nurse and has seen all sorts of stuff that leads her to think worst case scenario.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Would she freak out about open flames? I would think there would be a better chance of an open flame getting knocked over. But I wouldnt really see a problem if flame is contained in a lantern, less of a chance to accidentally knock it over. Tell her you'll have fire extinguishers at the ready just in case.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha Karena, I could see how that would make her immediately think worse case scenario. Ditto the fire extinguisher.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hehe.  That was Austin's brainstorm as well.  He joked that we should 'give' her a rather large purse.  Large enough to hold her other gift, a fire extinguisher. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha, that's hilarious!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't imagine you would have a problem, and the extinguisher is a great idea! Just an FYI:  If you have the lanterns in a fairly closed-in area, the smell can be overpowering, depending on the oil used.  We have over ten lanterns that we use on our patio and we've found two oils that have less smell than others.  Klean-Heat Kerosene Substitute and Klean-Heat Standard Clear Lamp Oil have worked best for us and can be purchased at Orchard SupplyThe glow the lanterns give off will be a wonderful, romantic ending to your celebration.  Best wishes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards