California-Northern
Options

Registry VENT

Why do people go to stores where you are registered and buy something not on the registry?!? I understand getting something not on the registry if someone goes to a different store.  But WHY do people get things that are not on the registry at that particular store? I could also possibly understand if we didn't live together.  We already have a fair amount of good stuff.  We registered for upgrades for some stuff and for other stuff we just don't have. I could also understand if someone went to a store and felt like items were out of their price range (even though there is a complete range at each store.)  However, most of these people bought things that are fairly pricey. I am very grateful that everyone was so generous, but now I have a bunch of returns to make.  I figure we can at least put the $ towards stuff that we don't already have.

Re: Registry VENT

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think some people feel that if they use the registry it means that the don't know the couple (or individual) well. I prefer to use the registry because I want to give them what they need.....or want.  Actually, I usually send something from the registry before the wedding to their home and then give cash in an envelope at the reception (for the honeymoon or getting settled into a new place).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had people do that too. I also thought it was funny that things like tic-tacs etc showed up on my registry as being bought. its also possible that they bought something for themselves at the same time they bought something for you. Which is why I had several packs of tic tacs on mine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    or its possible that the store they went with didnt have anything in stock and/or wanted to order it and charge them for shipping. We had to pay for shipping once at a store. I was not happy. Also some people like to buy things that they like too. If they don't find anything they like - and/or that they find useful - they won't buy it. I have a friend that always wants to buy something the couple will display etc. They refuse to buy things like towels and trash cans
  • Options
    hmschultshmschults member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah had some of that too...maybe they really like an item and think you must have just overlooked how awesome and helpful it is..The tic tacs is pretty funny! I actuelly had friends that put red vines on their registry...they got so many of those
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good point about the shipping, Angela.  I think I am just stressed out with everyone going on and it is making me irritable about stupid crap.  I also realized that we are 'older' for the area.  In FI's town, a lot of people get married in their early 20s and some of the guests may have their go-to gifts that they buy.  (And those gifts would be perfect for a couple that is just starting out.) I feel horrible for being peeved about this.  :/ 
  • Options
    apple_greenapple_green member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just be thankful for the generous gift....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Apple, I am thankful.  I was venting/trying to understand the thought process. 
  • Options
    sm23sm23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is annoying... I've been really lucky so far. The gifts we've gotten were mostly all stuff we asked for on our registry, or cash. The only stuff that wasn't directly asked for were hand embroidered hand towels and a gorgeous afghan my FI's grandmother made - lovely handmade gifts, totally from the heart, and I love them.At the engagement party my parents threw us (in Seattle), one of their friends bought us an item not from any of our registries, and brought it to the party. So not only did I get something I didn't need or want, my mom had to pay to ship it to me back to CA... In hindsight, I should've just told her to keep it or give it to Good Will and save the shipping money.
  • Options
    cecinoaklandcecinoakland member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the whole concept of registries is frustrating! we spent half the day returning duplicates yesterday because some people bought items that were on our registry but didnt buy them FROM the registry so it didnt show that they were already purchased.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards