July 2012 Weddings
Options

NWR: Nerves

I have to delivery an important presentation at work today, and I'm feeling nervous. Luckily, it's not infront of any clients, just internal people, but I'm still anxious about it. I've never been good at these kinds of things.

Anyone have any good tips for relaxing while public speaking? Some good vibes might help me out, too!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Nerves

• Options
    I get the same way, until about the 3rd sentence and then I calm down and enjoy doing the presentation.  Make good eye contact with all present and be sure to not rush through it.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Good luck! I'll be sending you good vibes. I would just make eye contact with various people and preten you are just talking to the person you lock onto.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Good luck!!  I know how you feel my old job I used to travel all over the US and to canada to do trainings for my company.  I was always so nervous especially b/c I was 26 years old training people old enough to be my parents.  I was always very intimidated by the business men.  Once you get started you will be ok.  I think it is the nerves a couple of days before that are the worst.  I quit that job b/c I hated all of the travel and had a pit in my stomach every training. 
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Goodluck! I used to never have a problem public speaking when I was in school, but at my job now I get extremely nervous. I'm the youngest one here with the least experience so I feel like everyone knows so much more than me and I just feel like an amatuer. To prepare right before a presentation, I just keep telling myself I am the smartest person in the room and I know more about what I'm presenting than they do. That usually boosts my self-esteem and makes me feel more confident about it.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Options
    good luck!!! I always get nervous before hearings/depositions but as soon as I get going, the nerves wash away. Too much thinking is involved to continue to be nervous!! 
  • Options
    I used to compete in public speaking actually. My "calm down" trick before anything is to find a place where you have privacy and jump up and down a few time. I also like to repeat something to myself in my head over and over like "I've got this" or "I'll be fine." Hope it helps! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Have a drink before you present. I'm not totally kidding (maybe I am a little bit), but sometimes a small glass of wine helps calm your nerves.

Otherwise a little bit of nervousness is always good!! It usually goes away after you start a few sentences. Don't forget to smile!!
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Bmore! I'm sure this advice will come too late, seeing as you posted that, oh, 3 hours ago . . . but if you're still around, one thing that REALLY helps me (and it sounds crazy, but it works) is I take my middle finger fingernail and dig it into the middle of my thumb. I wish I could describe this better, but you're basically just lightly causing some "pain" (although it really doesn't hurt) which kind of makes you forget your nerves.

I don't know why this helps me concentrate and calm down, but it always does, and it isn't noticeable at all. You can just do it sporadically when you feel yourself getting nervous. I used to do it ALL THE TIME for my moot court competitions.

Anyway, sorry if this is too late and/or sounds like a crazypants thing to do :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Haha Bridetobe - I will have to try that next time! I could actually see it working, but yeah, I read it too late!

The presentation went pretty well. Most of you are right... my nerves went away after the beginning, but damn I just wish I didn't get nervous at all. My manager told me I did a very good job, so it must have been alright.

Thanks for all the good vibes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards