California-Northern
Options

New to the NorCal board... and I need some advice...

Hi Guys! I'm new to the NorCal board and would love some advice about where to buy my dress. My mom is visiting from SoCal (where my wedding will be held next year) on November 13th so that we can get a jump start on looking for my dress! WooHOO! I was born and raised in SoCal and am currently living in Sacramento, so I'm not very familiar with the area. Do you guys have any experiences with Sac-area bridal places? Places to avoid? Places you would reccommend? I am pretty mobile and I'm willing to travel if need be... but would love to stay in the Sac/Roseville/Folsom/EDH/Davis area if possible... My budget is around $800.... PLEASE HELP!!

Re: New to the NorCal board... and I need some advice...

• Options
    adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to 3 different stores in the Sacto area. 1. David's Bridal in Roseville- I went on a Sunday and they were swamped. Their customer service was horrible. I had to go back to get a bridesmaid's dress altered (for my brother's wedding) and it was definitely a lot better. If you go there, go in the late evening during the week. 2. De La Rosa Bridal in Folsom- I went on a Friday (with no appointment) and was helped right away. It's not a large shop, but the staff was friendly and very helpful. I ended up finding my dress there. I went back again on a Saturday (with my bridesmaids to search for dresses, once again with no appointment) and they were once again very helpful. 3. Bridal Gallery in Citrus Heights- It was a smaller shop as well but they had a lot of budget friendly dresses. The customer service wasn't the best, but they had a good selection of dresses. I've heard Renfro's in Placerville is good. I've never been, but they have good yelp reviews as well. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to House of Fashion downtown (and my budget was about the same as yours).  I had a great experience, just expect them to try to go into the dressing room with you.  You don't have to let them if you don't want them there though.  I also went to Bridal Mart on Folsom Blvd near Hazel (I'm not sure if it's Fair Oaks, Folsom, or Rancho Cordova right there).  It's in the same parking lot as the Old Spaghetti Factory.  Both places were nice, but I found a lot more at House of Fashion.
  • Options
    lfritoslfritos member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Alfred Angelo in Roseville, and there was a mix up with the appointment, but they still fit me in, and were wonderful!  I highly recomend them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    House of Fashion is a big bridal shop in Sacramento, Also try Keepsake Bridal and David's Bridal in Roseville - but do not go to DB on a weekend. Its a zoo. Stay away from the "outlet" they have up there. That was a big waste of time for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    House of Fashion has a big selection and I had a good experience there. I would also suggest Bella Donna. Both stores have friendly and knowledgeable staff.On a related note: You are shopping early! As a two dress bride I have to warn girls that you may change your mind. Don't order too soon. Make sure you see lots of dresses online and on real life brides and try on as many as you can. It could turn out that the first one you try on is the one, but you could second guess that later if you don't keep looking.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry....I read your post wrong....thought the wedding was Nov. next year. Now I see it is July next year, and your mom is coming in Nov. GL shopping!!Oh yeah...sorry if this is obvi. to most people, but make sure you make appointments! HOF is pretty strict about that especially on the weekend.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress at House of Fashion, with the same budget you have :) I was really really happy there. I definitely recommend making an appt. I also recommend Bella Donna. I found my dress right away at HOF, so never even made it over to Bella Donna, BUT I've had several friends go to both and prefer Bella Donna. Congratulations on your engagement! Happy Planning and welcome to the norcal board!!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys for all of the great information! I'm going to book our appointments tomorrow. I'm so excited!
  • Options
    LiLKrssyLiLKrssy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been to Diamond Bridal Gallery in Roseville, HOF, De La Rosas in Folsom, and Bella Donna. I thought HOF was a little overwhelming. Def. wouldn't recomend them as your first stop (my opinion). Diamond bridal Gallery is a small shop, they really didn't have a huge selection when I went but they were so helpful! I ended up finding the one at De La Rosas in folsom. Liz was so helpful, it was still to early for me to order, I wanted to try on more dresses at that time. My last stop was Bella Donna ... I went with just mym om and I (all other times FMIL, SIL came too). They had the same dress I loved from De La rosas. Both stores (that carried my dress) were so nice ... I ended up ordering form Bella donna simple because it had a special place in my heart because it was just my mom and I.I would say out of the 4 HOF is the most expensive, the other 3 were comparable. HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hated House of Fashion, they are rude and pushy!  Tried putting me in discontinued gowns at insane prices.  I ended up getting my gown at a local bridal alterations store, custom ordered to fit me....! I was extremely happy and saved a ton of $!!!  I also enjoyed Bridal Mart in Rancho Cordova, lots of designer gowns.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try The Bridal Box in Fair Oaks, near Sunrise Blvd. I wish I had known about them prior to getting my dress at HOF. I did find them in time to get my shoes, purse and tiara  from them - for some reason, they were about HALF the price and a fraction of the lead time as HOF for the exact same item! I had specific brands and model numbers in mind for my accessories and for whatever reason, HOF kept giving me ridiculous 3-month lead times for these things. Bridal Box had my orders in about 3 weeks. And the girls who work there are very helpful and not as pushy as HOF.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry for the multiple posts, it just occurred to me that Bridal Box has a website too that has more stuff on it than what they have in the brick-and-mortar store. Also, you can save on shipping if you are local and go pick it up in person. Here it is: http://www.thebridalbox.net/    Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow guys you have been really helpful thank you so much! I have appointments now at DB, Alfred Angelo, House of Fashion, De La Rosa and Keepsake... I know some of you said that a few were a little sketchy but I will just go there with that in mind and leave if I'm not happy with their service or the selection. I'm so excited about going, especially because my Mom is flying up so we can go together! Thanks again for all of your help! I'll post about how things turn out!! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know that area, but welcome to the board.  You may want to consider coming down her to southern cali to go shopping.  :-)I'm a norcal bride living in socal, and I'm buying my dress down here.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OC Princess: I'm a SoCal bride living in NorCal, so I think we have the opposite thing going...hahah. If I can't find a dress up here, I can go down South to find one. I'm getting married in the IE but I thought that since I'm living in NorCal it would be easier to buy a dress here so I can easily go to fittings and such... but we'll see! THanks for the advise!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards