California-Northern
Options

Need some advice!!!!

Hi everyone...could you please help me out with the dilemma I'm having?
Ok...so my fiance and I are planning on getting married in 2013. I am scheduled to graduate on May 30, 2013--so the original plan was to get married sometime on a Saturday in June 2013 so I would have adequate time to wind down from school, etc.
Heres the deal...the place we'd like to have our wedding is SUBSTANTIALLY less expensive on Fridays and Sundays than it is on Saturdays. We have quite a bit of family that is coming in out of town, so we thought Saturday was best. But, in an effort to keep our budget manageable, we thought a Sunday or Friday option might be better. I'm worried that people won't have enough time to get off work on a Friday and make the trip up for an evening ceremony/reception. Also worried that having a wedding on Sunday people wouldn't have time to get home and rest for work on Monday mornings. I'm just trying to be considerate here. 
Heres where the student part comes in--this is another option I have. I COULD possibly have my wedding on May 26th 2013 instead (which is a Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and everyone would have the Monday off work). This way, things would be cheaper AND everyone could have time to drive leisurely home and not have to worry about work the next day. My problem is this--May 26th would be the weekend after I finished my final finals. Would I be too stressed out? And then we couldn't go on our honeymoon til a week later. 
I know this is a large issue. I'm hoping all of you may have some positive thoughts/ideas for me. 
Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need some advice!!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The week before my wedding was pretty hectic. I don't know about finals and then getting married the next weekend. Its really up to you. 

If you do an early wedding on Sunday, it would be fine as well. The last wedding we went to was on a Sunday night. While it was fine because we lived nearby, we still left early. We danced a couple of songs and then left. 

If you give people enough notice, they will be able to make arrangements to be there no matter what day you have it on. 
  • Options
    Most of the research I've done so far suggests steering clear of holiday weekends because they're actually more expensive.  Prices for hotels, flights, etc. would probably be a lot higher.  

I have a lot of out of town guests coming for my wedding as well and I think if you give enough notice Friday or Sunday would be fine.  They're likely going to have to take time off work no matter what day you have it. 
    My Blog: onewaytothebay.wordpress.com
  • Options
    I agree that avoiding holiday weekends is the best. Travelling is more expensive plus you can lose guests who have annual traditions.

Why not do an early Sunday wedding? Even in the late afternoon would give your guests time to get home.

If you have to choose, I would say Friday night wedding. Its more likely people can leave their jobs a little early on a Friday, than take a whole day off on a Monday.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I recommend doing what you want. Don't worry about accomodating others. This was the best advice. Also don't worry about it sounding harsh - you just need to figure out what's best for YOU.
  • Options

Hi!

I am actually getting married on Sunday, September 2nd, 2012. The ONLY reason we are doing a Sunday is because most people have Monday off and this is the ONLY way we could afford our venue. I would say don't worry about what the people think about that idea. The people that you want there and the people that want to be there WILL be there. My fam and friends are totally reassuring me that it's cool and they are so looking forward to it. Plus, we're all planning on having another party the next day to bbq and swim to unwind after the wedding.
    Total leisure weekend I think. The only thing that would make me say you should give the Sunday idea another thought is just because of finals. I just graduated and holy cow, it was stressful! You may not want all that stress of finals and the wedding so close together. Best to just focus on one at a time so that you can FULLY enjoy the wedding:)

Hope that helped!

• Options
    I am in the exact same situation with planning a June 2013 wedding and graduating the same time. To help me decide I looked back on mine and asked his family what days previous family weddings had been on. There had been some on Friday and Saturdays so that made me feel comfortable that if our familes had been able to attend Friday weddings before out of torn then it should not be a big problem again. Also with it being so far in advance you have plenty of time to let them know it is on a Friday so they can all plan accordingly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards