California-Northern

Wedding Venue - Do not trust Sam's Chowder House in HMB

Sam’s Chowder House is a business that lacks integrity and should stop advertising itself as a great place to have a wedding.   We were originally told by Sam’s Chowder House that 1) 250 people could be accommodated, 2) a seating chart would be provided, 3) the ceremony set-up fees would go towards the minimum, 4) cake cutting fees would be $2 per slice and 5) the start time would be 4:30PM.  All of these things were changed on us by Sam’s Chowder House– 250 became 200, a seating chart became too hard to procure or draw, the set-up fees were in addition to the minimum, $2 cake cutting fee became $3.  But the straw that finally broke the camel’s back was when Sam’s Chowder House came back and wanted another $30K if we wanted to have a ceremony at 4:30 pm (at this point we were almost ready to sign the contract, luckily we didn’t).   No doubt, the food is good and the setting is beautiful, but this is the type of management team you’ll be working with if you decide to have your wedding here.  Despite sending me a contract that  clearly stated my wedding buy-out would begin at 4:30PM for $25K minimum, Sam’s Chowder House came back 3 days later indicating if I wish to start at 4:30 pm I need to pay $55K or else we can’t start setting up until 6:00 pm (which means ceremony would start at 8:00 pm).  This is after 1.5 months of conversations and negotiations.   I don’t know who has an extra $30K lying around, but I surely don’t and didn’t anticipate the need to.  To be honest, this isn’t really about money or how Sam’s Chowder House’s business practices.  This is about me feeling wronged by the management at Sam’s.  As a new bride, I was excited and eager to have my wedding at Sam’s and now I feel slighted and scorned.  Just as quickly as they had raised my hopes, Sam’s Chowder House dashed them away.  I am now left to start my search again after wasting my time.   Please heed this warning, Sam’s Chowder House cannot be trusted and has no idea how to handle a complete wedding buy-out.

Re: Wedding Venue - Do not trust Sam's Chowder House in HMB

• vb0000vb0000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow what an unfortunate way to do business.  I hope you review them on Yelp or elsewhere so others can be warned.  I'm finding this kind of things happens with many venues and vendors - getting you interested in the "affordable" fee and then adding on for little things until suddenly it's not so affordable any more.  Good for you for waiting to sign the contract!  Hopefully now you can find a better place with better management.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • athenaellenathenaellen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the share...always crazy when they change it up. So crazy!
  • edited December 2011
    Our friends had their rehearsal dinner there and were very dissapointed with their service as well. The tasting they did and the food that was served were two completely different meals and when the bride brought it to their attention they pointed to the contract stating that it was based on availability so the seafood meal they had paid for turned out to be chicken.

However, they got married at the golf links club at the Ritz and it was amazingly beautiful. The service, food and staff were amazing and the views were to die for. If you have a choice, see if they are available.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards