California-Northern
Options

Cancelling a wedding

My sister is having to cancel her wedding that was supposed to take place at Forest House Lodge in September 2011. Her fiance was deployed for nine months and got back in September 2010. He has since met someone new that makes him "happy" and called it quits with my sister. With that being said (and that is the very very short version) they have paid over $10,000 towards their wedding package. She has not done any planning with them or taken up any of their time except when they had one of their tea parties where all the brides and a guest or two go to test their cakes. I would appreciate any advice or tips to try and get some of her money back. I know there is a contract involved, but there are always loop holes or ways around things. I have been told that she could probably get some of her money back, but she would have to hire a lawyer. Willing to try anything. Thanks for your time!

Re: Cancelling a wedding

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear about this!

I'm planning a wedding for a friend of mine who is set on the Forest House, but they didn't have availibility in September. If for some reason you can't get your money back (I hope that isn't the case) maybe we could work something out as I have a bride who would love to have that venue in September. What exactly is the date?

Sorry to post something unrelated to your original question. I do hope you guys get everything you paid back.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    First, I'm so sorry for your sister.

Have you/your sister tried anything yet?  Sometimes simply asking and explaining the circumstances is enough, despite a contract.  When this happens - if it hasn't yet - I suggest going down in person with a few folks.  You don't want your sister to get screwed into accepting $2,000 back just because she's alone and doesn't know.

If this were me, I would ask my step-mother (an attorney) to call on my behalf.  Because she is an attorney she can, and sometimes will, use her title to my advantage in terms of getting people to stop being devious jerks and taking advantage of others (e.g., former roommates trying to screw me out of my part of the deposit when we moved out).  NOTE: it is illegal to say that you're an attorney when you're not. 

Now, if you don't have a lawyer in the family (which I know most people don't), I suggest bringing someone down there that's close to your sister who can be a great advocate for her and who knows something about business and money. Also, unfortunately, businesspeople will often assume that women don't know what they're talking about/entitled to and will give in earlier so bringing along males may also help (my feminist heart sighs deeply).

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you both for your responses!

carefer the wedding was the Thursday, Friday, Saturday package with the wedding on Friday the dates were for September 22-24 with the wedding on the 23rd.

carolynnmarieg- I have suggested to her to talk with a lawyer and see what she can do about getting her money back. We definately don't want things to become a battle unless need be.
  • Options
    Aimee8314Aimee8314 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My suggestion would be to ask if you can get any of it back.  If not, I would suggest hiring a lawyer to get the money back from her ex fiance.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    KeelsmarksKeelsmarks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry for your sister. I went through a broken engagement 9 years ago and am currently marrying a wonderful man, so I'm sure it will work out for the best. Most of my vendors gave me a full refund, so I would definitely ask. I would also try to get some money from ex-fiancé or sell the ring. I got the money from my ex and was glad that I did. All the best to your sister
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your responses!! My sister is doing a lot better even though it is still very hard for her. She is talking with her venue so we will see what all happens. 

Good wishes to you all :D
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That venue is shady. I talked to the owner about possibly taking that day, he said he already had it re-booked and taken care of (this was a week and a half ago). He also lied to us about pricing to get us up there to check it out...once there, the story about how the rooms are billed and the package prices went up drastically. Good luck with everything!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards