October 2012 Weddings

should NOT be figuring this out at 2 weeks...

so, we decided not to do cake.  we originally wanted cheesecake but thats's too much work.  so we were goign to do a normal cake but didn't want the hasle of cake cutting fees and stuff...so we opted for cupcakes.  well now  we waited too late to find a baker and have decided to just do a dessert buffett instead. 

i'm hoping to enlist some ladies (me, my mom, FMIL and maybe a brides maid who volunteered to help with stuff) to bake some goodies.  i'm thinking a lot of pumpkin and apple treats!  but we will also buy some premade things from the grocery store.

if you saw this at a wedding would you think it's weird that there is no cake?

Re: should NOT be figuring this out at 2 weeks...

• I might think it was a little weird but I wouldn't be like "Omg there's no cake?!"  I think it will be fine
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think desserts are fine.  Actually my FI came up with an idea the other night of having the table names be desserts.  It totally would have been cute to have a cupcake, cinnamon roll, cookie, etc table, with the center piece being a display of the desserts.....but I told him with 2 weeks left we were not changing it!  haha

•  I wouldn't think it would be weird at a wedding to not have a cake (lots of people do this!) but I would probably think it was weird to have store bought desserts. 

Gosh there has to be some cupcake bakery or pastery shop that would do cupcakes for you last minute! But no matter what, you should do what will stress you out the LEAST amount. :-)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_should-not-be-figuring-this-out-at-2-weeks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:067ae733-0826-45ad-9ada-268bc0e27c1fPost:e9ab5c1c-498c-4798-a135-9b793ad35f30">Re: should NOT be figuring this out at 2 weeks...</a>:
    [QUOTE] I wouldn't think it would be weird at a wedding to not have a cake (lots of people do this!) but I would probably think it was weird to have store bought desserts.  Gosh there has to be some cupcake bakery or pastery shop that would do cupcakes for you last minute! But no matter what, you should do what will stress you out the LEAST amount. :-)
    Posted by EADenver[/QUOTE]

we would take the store bought goodies out of the packaging and plate them just like everything else.  we could easily find a bakery to make cupcakes for us, but we want specific, non traditional flavours and don't want to pay a lot for cupcakes.  baking things ourselves would DEFINETLY be the least stressful!
  • Not weird at all.  Actually, many people do not even notice the cark, nor do they usually care.  They would notice no dessert at all so as long as you are providing something in that department, all should be happy!
    Anniversary
    Missing our September Sunflower
    BFP 12/23/12: EDD 9/01/13: MMC 1/31/13, baby stopped growing at 8w2d. D&C 2/01/13
  • I think its great!!  Traditional cakes aren't all that traditional any more.  We're doing cupcakes, but thought about doing a dessert bar too.  It'll turn out awesome!!
    282 Invited image
    201 Are ready to party! image
    81 Are staying at home image

Planning Bio! Pre-Wedding Items for Sale!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    October 2012 - September Siggy: Collage!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Some good friends of our brought in all sorts of pies and ice creams that they liked. It was really tasty and a lot of fun.  It wasn't weird at all.

If you want, I have a great recipe for inside out carrot cake (basically cake-y cookies with cream cheese frosting smooshed between them) that was a big hit our fall dinner party last year.  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_should-not-be-figuring-this-out-at-2-weeks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:067ae733-0826-45ad-9ada-268bc0e27c1fPost:3b3f7719-51b7-4659-9c58-db8992c58ee1">Re: should NOT be figuring this out at 2 weeks...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some good friends of our brought in all sorts of pies and ice creams that they liked. It was really tasty and a lot of fun.  It wasn't weird at all.<strong> If you want, I have a great recipe for inside out carrot cake </strong>(basically cake-y cookies with cream cheese frosting smooshed between them) that was a big hit our fall dinner party last year.  :)
    Posted by JennaBirdTheBride[/QUOTE]

<div>Fi loves carrot cake. Can I have this recipe?</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Jenna, I'd love that recipie!
  • Ditto! (carrot cake recipe)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not weird at all.  More and more people are stepping away from what we once considered "traditional".  I hear alot of people nowadays doing a dessert table or a candy buffet instead of cake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Its not weird at all! We're not having cake, we're doing cake balls and having a candy buffet on the same table with all homemade candies my mother is making. I think its awesome to have different things. Its you and your FIs day, do it how you want.
    Married! 10.19.2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards