Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Help! Overwhelmed...

Hi Ladies, I got engaged in July and just recently signed a contract to have my reception at Tendenza. I have the church booked in Huntington Valley and feel good about both of those things. Our date is 9/21/2013. I know I have plenty of time before our wedding to plan everything. That being said, I feel like I should be doing something for it! Every time I think about everything that has to get done, I get anxious. For those of you who are getting married sooner, what do you recommend I start figuring out now, and what I can I wait on? The nice thing about Tendenza is that I don't need to worry about the food, alcohol, cake etc, But when it comes to flowers, photographers, videographers, bands, transporttion, hotels etc., what should I focus on? I feel like I have no idea what I should be doing because of the amount of time I have. Any suggestions would be awesome :)

Re: Help! Overwhelmed...

• Options
    I got engaged in July 2009 and knew I wouldn't be getting married until this year, so for the 1st year of my engagement I did NO planning.

I booked my venue almost exactly a year ago, so you're pretty much where I was this time last year (I'm getting married Sept 29 of this year). I actually didn't do anything for a few months afterwards, and then when summer hit I started booking things. You could start researching photographers and bands/DJs. You could even start looking for your dress if you wanted. You really have plenty of time though.
    Anniversary
  • Options

Im not getting married until 12-14-2013. I booked our venue back in October, secured the date with the church and we have our photographer. The date we chose was not something we wanted to compromise on, which is why we have all those things already. We felt they were the most important to us.
      Now im just enjoying being engaged for awhile, researching ideas ect. After this summer ill start looking for dresses and so forth. 
       Enjoy being engaged!! Its going by so quickly!

• Options
    If you really feel like doing something, look into photographers. The best ones get booked at least a year in advance, if not more. Most of the other stuff can wait.

I'd suggest waiting on your gown, too. Your taste may change and styles my change in the next year and you may wish you waited a bit.

Just my two cents :) I got engaged in June 2011 and we're getting married July 2012, so I didn't have a whole lot of downtime to think things through because things were getting booked when I started contacting vendors. Kind of wish I did because I would have made some different choices!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks girls, I really appreciate all of your input. I really wanted a fall date and when we started looking in July, I knew I was going to have to wait until 2013 for a date that worked at Tendenza. As silly as it sounds, we could only do September or the first week in October because my fiancé is a huge Phillies fan and he didn't want to have the wedding during playoffs. Since I can't control it, and I know how one of my friend's weddings fell on a world series game, I didn't want to risk any of it. So September 2013 it is! I've looked at pictures of dresses, but I definitely want to wait until the summer to start looking. I know myself, and I'll either find something then regret it and want something else, or I'll look at too many choices because I have time and I won't be able to choose. Also, it gives me time to get to the size I want so I know how the dress should look. I've thought about doing the hotels only because I'm afraid there could be some convention in town, and Im having my guests stay in the city. And as you've all suggested, I'll definitely look into photographers.
  • Options
    Again, I truly appreciate your input. I think the idea of a wedding and all that goes with it has me anxious, and even though I have time, I feel like I should be doing more. I feel much more relaxed now!
  • Options
    I agree with PP. I haven't chosen a date yet but we are maybe thinking Fall of 2013. I am also trying to decide on venues now. I went dress shopping last weekend but I could have waited on that, but I just went for fun it and found my dress and totally fell in love with it and ordered it! But I also agree with bridetobe71412 if your tastes change don't do it right now. After we finally find a venue though, I think I am going to take a break until the spring/summer and then at that time I'll start looking into photography and pick my bridemaids lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto to all of the above.  Yes, when things get down to it, you're going to feel like yu're rushed and you have so many things to do.  But the honest truth is... the things you want right now might not be the same things you want a year from now, or even 6 months from now.  Don't feel like you need to rush to get everything done.  You have plenty of time. 

I actually have a friend who had a bit of a long engagement, and she planned to DIY centerpieces.  She spent a decent amount of money on the centerpieces and was going to do this adorable thing with lanterns and candles.  She didn't do any of those things... and ended up having to eat the cost of what she spent on her original CPs.  Luckily someone here on TK bought them, but still.  The point is... your tastes are going to change. And  that's totally okay. 

One of the things you can start doing is put together a wedding binder.  Look through magazines to get an idea for the styles of dress you want, your color scheme, etc.  Because when it comes time to sit down with vendors and discuss things that you want, you can bring out your fancy binder and say "okay, I like this style... I don't like this style."  I had that with my florist and she was really impressed by how organized I was. 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    I'd make good use of Pinterest, add photos you like and mark who took the photos; dresses and designers, flowers, hair, etc.  It's cheap and easy to throw stuff out on Pinterest, not so much once you buy it and bring it home! LOL  Also an great way to test a bouquet w/a dress is if you can find a photo the approx size and a photo of your dress either online or in a mag and tape the flowers to it, it gives you a good feel for how things look.  Also make a checklist so you know when you have to do what. I find having a list is soothing! LOL Even if it doesn't mean I accomplish anything!
  • Options
    I don't really understand how pinterest works.. I have an account but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it.. 

Checklists are helpful, and I've been creating them and revising them often.  I finally sat down and I think I finally confirmed our guest list. Now I can start calling the hotels and trying to book a block of rooms.  

I set up a day to take my girls to see the venue and hopefully that will help me figure out what colors I want, and what I imagine for my wedding. It will be helpful because they will be able to tell if things match, look bad, etc. I'm excited for that! My fiance definitely can't help me with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards