October 2012 Weddings

What to do about gift

So when FI and I were registering for gifts I found this cake cutting set and flutes set that we liked. We added it to our registry so I wouldn't forget where we found it and I was going to continue looking around for one I liked better. Well I sort of forgot about it and never took it off the registry and we ended up getting them as gifts. Well there is a set I like better for many reason's, one of which is that it fits our two hearts theme. FI thinks we can't return the other's and get a different one since it was a gift and the people will be upset. I think we can return them and use the ones I like instead. I want to get it engraved and keep it forever. He said why can't we do that with the set I like. The point of keeping it forever is because it's the one we cut our cake with at our wedding! Something we will never do again! What do you guys think? I have the set I like on hold at Macy's and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I could just switch it out and I bet no one would notice but I obviously don't want to lie to him. Do you think the 2 couples who gave them to us as gifts will even notice? What would you do? Am I wrong about this?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What to do about gift

• Most people do not need two cake cutting sets.  Even with registries it is possible to get two of the same thing, and why hold on to something that you won't have a use for.  I'd suggest writing a thank you note to the couple praising the thought behind the gift.  Return the other set and use the money to get something else you really need.  Then, if the issue ever comes up simply explain that while you loved the set you got, between when you put it on the registry and when you got it, you found something that was a better fit, but you were able to use the money to get ____ fill in the blank which you a just as thankful for.  Just an idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_what-to-do-about-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:18991e48-0ff3-4dc4-92dc-916c3299d950Post:4f6107b1-c8b3-4c50-96bb-4773cb220ae0">Re: What to do about gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]Most people do not need two cake cutting sets.  Even with registries it is possible to get two of the same thing, and why hold on to something that you won't have a use for.  I'd suggest writing a thank you note to the couple praising the thought behind the gift.  Return the other set and use the money to get something else you really need.  Then, if the issue ever comes up simply explain that while you loved the set you got, between when you put it on the registry and when you got it, you found something that was a better fit, but you were able to use the money to get ____ fill in the blank which you a just as thankful for.  Just an idea.
    Posted by SomethingBeautiful08[/QUOTE]

<div>Well I don't want two of them, it was FI suggestion. I don't think they will be upset, I've already sent thank you notes as I got them in Aug and Sept. It's not like it was something they picked out special for us, it was on our registry. Although I will say the one couple had to order it because their store didn't have it. I really don't htink they will notice or care. I wouldn't if I were them, I would want the Bride and Groom to be happy with what they cut their only cake with and what is in their pics! I just don't know how to convince FI of this.</div>
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards