October 2012 Weddings

Name change disappointment..

Congrats to all the beautiful brides here!  I haven't had the time to post but I have been checking in on everyone and I'm so happy we all made it through all the craziness and enjoyed our very special days.

Now unfortunately I'm feeling a little bummed.  My car is in my mom's name.  When I bought it 4 years ago she offered, because she has perfect credit and got a much better financing deal.  I was still living at home at the time so I've made all the payments, but her name and address is on the title and the car is covered under my parent's insurance with me listed as a driver.

Now that I'm married and living with my hubby (though I moved in after we got engaged) I have found out I cannot change my name or address until my car is paid off.  The car cannot be put in my name and the insurance will drop me and my car if they found out I moved.  I can't get my own insurance for it because the car isn't in my name.  I can't have the car put into my name unless either I pay it off and they "gift" the car to me or I take out a loan in my own name.  Option 2 wouldn't be terrible except I only owe $2500 on the car at this point.  To take out a loan for that amount and have my payments go up and owe more in interest doesn't seem wise to me.  I'm buckling down and hoping to have it paid off by May at the latest.  I know overall it's not that big of a deal to go by my maiden name and address for now, but it kinda makes me a little sad.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

258 invitedimage
182 can't wait to partyimage
76 are missing all the funimage

Re: Name change disappointment..

• I'm confused, you can't change your name AT ALL on anything until this car is in your name?
    Anniversary
  • I had the same situation and easily refinanced in my name. I hope you were at least on the car to help raise your credit score. I would call the bank to ask them what you can do.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Can you just not change your name on the insurance and the car and wait until you are paid off. You cant change it at all? How will insurance know if you dont tell them?
    weddingpic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards