October 2012 Weddings
Options

Annoyed and vendors drinking question

So I got a FB message an hour ago from my cousin saying he and his GF can't come now b/c he couldn't get the time off work (um, get it approved before you RSVP then!). I'm annoyed, but I haven't paid the final bill yet so I can still "re-submit" my final numbers.

Anyway, I've now spent the last hour rearranging part of my seating chart since he was at a table of six, which then became 4 which was just going to look stupid. Since I had a couple other tables of 6 I was able to move people around and eliminate a table. This then eliminates another bottle of champagne and corkage fees for our wine. 

Here's my etiquette question. In order to make my seating arrangement work I had to create a vendor table for my DOC, her assistant and the photographer that will be placed off to the side (which is fine according to DOC and photog). Do I need to put wine at that table and provide champagne? I think it might be rude not to, but at the same time they're hired vendors there to do a job, not sit around and drink. What would you do?
Anniversary

Re: Annoyed and vendors drinking question

• Options
    I voted no, not just because there not guests, but because I want those people to be clear headed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No, because they are not guests.  Most of my vendors told me they wouldn't drink even if I offered.  You shouldn't do it and you shouldn't feel guilty.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

258 invitedimage
    182 can't wait to partyimage
    76 are missing all the funimage
  • Options
    Definitely don't offer them alcohol.  You are paying for a service and they are working.  I used to be a wedding planner and I've never seen a vendor drink at a wedding.  Don't feel guilty or bad.
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_annoyed-and-vendors-drinking-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:43888e8b-c019-4800-9c94-0328e41db7faPost:0ce8e988-a478-406f-a236-c7765e11165d">Re: Annoyed and vendors drinking question</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, because they are not guests.  Most of my vendors told me they wouldn't drink even if I offered.  <strong>You shouldn't do it and you shouldn't feel guilty.</strong>
    Posted by Simply_Caitlin[/QUOTE]
    I'm glad you said that because I was definitely feeling guilty at the thought of not providing alcohol, but I do want them to be clear-headed. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Honestly if you had posted that you were planning on offering them alcohol, I would've talked you out of it.  Heck I bartended at weddings and was constantly offered drinks and I never accepted.  Rule of thumb, if you're being paid to be there, you don't drink.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

258 invitedimage
    182 can't wait to partyimage
    76 are missing all the funimage
  • Options
    I agree with PP.  You are paying them to do a job, not imbibe on your bill.  My venue actually expressly forbids the vendors from drinking alcohol while working during the event (it's written in my venue's contract all vendors have to sign before stepping on to the property).  Maybe yours has that too?  Even if it doesn't, you shouldn't feel guilty by not giving them alcohol.  I'm sure the professional ones would decline anyway....
    Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2
  • Options
    None of those people should be drinking.  They're there to do a job and it would be entirely unprofessional of them to drink. 
  • Options
    Definitely not. You are paying them to work your wedding, not be a guest at your wedding. They shouldnt be drinking while working either. I know in some of the contracts I signed it said something about them not drinking, etc. Wonder how that got into the contract...but...no, do not waste the money...they cant drink anyways.
    weddingpic
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies, you've made me feel much better about my decision!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    NOPE NOPE NOPE LOL

we have our DJ, PHOTOGRAPHER and his ASSISTANT there.

now the DJ might have a drink or two through out the evening... that is fine he is a good friend and a professional DJ and we trust him...

we have our Photographer from 2-10 pm... we have welcomed him to stay later if he would like... as a guest... at which point he is more than welcome to drink as he said himself, he does not drink ON the Job...
  • Options
    I agree, no alcohol for the vendors.  They are at work and should not be drinking.  I think of it this way, I am not allowed to drink at work, you shouldn't be either.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Definitely no alcohol for vendors!  As professionals, they shouldn't be drinking on the job even if offered.  And don't feel guilty, I'm sure they don't expect to be served alcohol!  It's  very nice of you to give them a table.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards