October 2012 Weddings
Options

Not "officially" married

Ok so my Dad who is a judge in another state, called and asked if he could perform the wedding ceremony here in SC. They said yes. Well they lied! When I sent in the marriage license they said he had to be a FEDERAL judge, which they forgot to mention. SO legally I am not marrried. I have options though! We are going to see if we can get married while we are in Maui, if not I have a friend who is a priest and he said he will do it when we get back. The thing that bothers me the most is that officially my wedding date will not be the day that I got married. Boo :(

Re: Not "officially" married

• Options
    that's terrible - I would be so bummed!  but you can always consider your wedding date as your anniversary, it will only be different on paper.  I know it still REALLY sucks though :( the important thing is that you WILL be legally married and that you had  the wedding - they just didn't happen to be on the same day, haha!  keep up posted and good luck!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Our marriage wasn't considered "legal" until Monday the 15th (we got married on October 13th). I think for most people it is this way. I see it as us being married in a religious ceremony and in the eyes of our family and friends. I'd still use the date.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_not-officially-married?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:48eef900-34d5-42f5-b413-68cf7ab262c9Post:9d981313-ac9c-42da-9bfa-cd97c0611b97">Re: Not "officially" married</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our marriage wasn't considered "legal" until Monday the 15th (we got married on October 13th). I think for most people it is this way.<strong> I see it as us being married in a religious ceremony and in the eyes of our family and friends. I'd still use the date.</strong>
    Posted by BrittneyRN[/QUOTE]

That sucks, but I agree with Brittney.  You can celebrate your anniversary on your ceremony date.  That's really the day that is most special to the both of you.  You can think of it as this...when we were kids, we ususally had our birthday parties on the weekends even if your actual b-day fell midweek, right?  Didn't stop us from celebrating and tearing open presents and eating cake, did it??!!  Atleast you'll be married and that's all that counts in the end!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    as someone who went through some drama this week and had to get legally married on the 18th, while our church ceremony and reception was on the 20th, you can still consider your day as your anniversary. Hubby and I are planning to clink glasses every October 18th, but the real celebration for us will be October 20th.

But I totally feel your pain, it sucks royally when it can't be on the same day
  • Options
    Yes we will stick with Oct 13th for the actual date now just working out the details for the next wedding. We are thinking getting married in Maui during our honeymoon. However I just read the official license won't get sent for like 120 days! If that is true then I don't know, I don't want to wait 4 months to change my name!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_not-officially-married?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:48eef900-34d5-42f5-b413-68cf7ab262c9Post:be2e943e-a142-4069-812e-1d4694c5e3fe">Re: Not "officially" married</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes we will stick with Oct 13th for the actual date now just working out the details for the next wedding. We are thinking getting married in Maui during our honeymoon. However I just read the official license won't get sent for like 120 days! If that is true then I don't know, I don't want to wait 4 months to change my name!
    Posted by stephdi7971[/QUOTE]

<div>In Ontario, you can't apply for your certificate until 8-10 weeks after the wedding and then it takes anohter 2 weeks for them to send it to you. So I won't be able to change my name until close to Christmas anyways. And I have a sneaking suspicion that I will have an issue as on the temporary solemnization of marriage H's last name is spelt wrong by the priest. We shall see how all this plays out.</div>
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Options
    I got "Married" on the 19th but due to some mess ups in the court with my husbands divorce we won't be able to be legally married until those are fixed and then wait 6 months for it all to be finalized so I probably won't be legally married till June or July next year. Its not a big deal though. Its the marriage thats important not really the paper.
    Married! 10.19.2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards