October 2012 Weddings

Not wedding related, anyone have a cat?

Helllllp.  Just found out today my kitty has roundworm.  Vet made it sound like no big deal but all kidding aside I am a gigantic germaphobe and now my whole house is grossing me out.  What do I do?  Is vaccuming everything enough?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

258 invitedimage
182 can't wait to partyimage
76 are missing all the funimage

Re: Not wedding related, anyone have a cat?

• Never had a cat that had roundworms but my dog did as a puppy. Apparently, they get it from their mother's. He was given some meds to take for a few weeks with meals and he got better. I'm pretty sure that vaccuuming will only keep your place clean.You DO want to use cleaners near the litter box since they can be in cat feces (whoops...might have just made it worse for you!)

If you are a true germophobe, I'm sure you'll clean up appropriately. You should be fine. 

HTH!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • It's very common, no big deal. The only place they would be found and could linger would be in the feces, they aren't going to be randomly squirming on your couch. A couple days through meds you can empty the littler box and soak in bleach for a few mins.
  • Yep not a huge deal. Like PP said, you may see them in the litter box so be prepared cuz they can be long and gross...and potentially still alive.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Yeah the way I found out she had it was, earlier I was sitting on my computer chair (which she loves, it's where she spends 90% of her time, I usually sit on the edge so she doesn't have to get up) and when I went to get up, my pj pants felt damp and I looked and I had sat on a hairball!  GROOOOOOSSSSSSS!  Then to make it sososososo much worse, there was a 4-5 inch worm on it.  I about died haha.  So took her and the hairball into the vet.  They said they didn't even need to examine her, they just gave me a syringe filled with this goop to shoot in her mouth and sent me on my way.

I'm just incrediby grossed out now and waiting for my dog to poop so I can bring it to them so they can test it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

258 invitedimage
  • O no, that is not a fun way to find out! Like PPs have already said, it is a relatively easy fix. Hopefully you can get your dog tested soon so you can know if it has worms too.

Do you regularly deworm your animals? We do it a few times a year. We have both indoor and outdoor cats that come inside often so we try to keep up on that.
  • That's weird they wouldn't have just given you meds for the dog also. Unless the dog was just wormed a few days ago another round of wormer won't hurt. I would call your vet and request it just incase.

• Most pet stores should sell wormer. Get some and give some to your dog just in case. If he doesn't have worms it'll just help protect him for a while and if he does it'll kill them.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Yuck, worms are the worst! I have an indoor cat who thankfully has not had any issues in the three years she's been with me, but the kitten my parents recently adopted had been living outside, and sure enough, she had worms. It took two rounds of medications to get them all.

Blegh!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 6, 2012!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks for all the comments ladies.  I feel much more at ease today.  My poor kitty threw up a couple of times though.  Hoping it's just because the meds are a little hard on the tummy.  They gave me Revolution as a preventative measure, but I don't want to put it on her right away.  Wanted to give her body a day so it's not medicine overkill.

The good news is the dog (very surprisingly) doesn't have any worms!  Woohoo!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

258 invitedimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards