October 2012 Weddings

Weight loss and Wedding Dress

Sorry in advance! But I need HELP! Short backround on myself.... I have lost 90 pounds over the past two years, and I am 30 pounds from my goal weight.  I am losing the weight for my health, not just because I am getting married (though, the wedding has been GREAT motivation!)

So I bought my second wedding dress in March (I bought my first in November, but found one I like better, and I had lost 3 dress sizes since buying the first). When I tried it on (I bought the brand new sample from the store as she wanted to make sure the fit was right) it fit, but was a little snug. The woman thankfully took my word that I was losing weight and felt confident that I would be able to lose enough to make it fit good.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I was DYING to try on my dress! So I made an appointment and went in on Saturday. I put it on, and the lady got it all laced up in the back, then we started to talk about my weight. She says, and I QUOTE "Honey, whatever you did it was amazing! This dress looks wonderful on you! But, do NOT lose another pound! If anything, gain 5 and it will look even better on you!"

As of right now, all I need is a hem and a bustle. If I lose anymore weight they will have to take it in, and she is afraid that by the time I lose more weight it will be getting too close to the wedding and they won't have time. I go for my first fitting on Aug 3rd. She did say I can work my arms and legs, and lose all the weight from there that I want. Too bad you can't spot reduce...

So... do I pause my journey? Or do I keep going and figure whatever happens happens? I really want my dress to look wonderful, but at the same time I don't want to stop. I lost all motivation and didn't lose a pound in 2011, and if I have to take 3 months off, I just don't know that I can restart. Not to mention, how do I stop losing weight, but keep exercising and eating healthy? I don't want to go back to my old ways! I know if I do, I will be 20 pounds heavier by the time October comes! What do you think I should do?!?!?!

Ps... here is a link to my dress... except mine is going to have a hot pink sash instead :)www.marysbridal.com then search S12-5637

Re: Weight loss and Wedding Dress

• It's a calorie in calorie out thing. Figure out what you need to maintain while working out. That way you can keep going and not lose your motiviation
  • Can you consult another alterationist? My next fitting is Oct 8. I can go anytime between now and then if I lose the weight I need and want to see where I'm at with fitting into it and if I get into the dress we're fine! I need to lose about 3 or 4 inches where it zips up. In other words my butt, hip, and belly area. We're hoping she doesn't have to let it out at all..I'd rather she have to take it IN! If I'm able to get where I need to be all she will have to do is a bustle. If I lose not enough or too much she'll have to take in or let out and Oct 8 for my Oct 20 wedding she said was plenty of time for that no matter what she had to do. So if she told you she won't have time to fix it if you lose more I would consult someone else. I would definately keep going with your plan since it is obviously working. What is your plan anyway lol I definately need some good advice! Good luck on your decision!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • continue to work out and do what is healthy. If the dress needs to be taken in it can be taken in. some people have work being done to their dress a week before the wedding. sounds like she just doesn't want to alter it

• First, congrats on losing 90 pounds!

Even when you are at your ultimate weight you will still need to continue to eat healthy and exercise, so I don't think you need to pause on doing that stuff.  Are you calculating your calories and the calories burned with exerise?  You can do this on many free websites. The one that I use is Myfitnesspal.com  When you first sign up, and throughout your weightloss journey, you select how much you want to lose per week or if you want to maintain.  Would this be an option for you? Then you would know how many calories to eat so that you aren't gaining any weight.

If you really want to continue to lose, I agree with PP about maybe searching for a new seamstress.  Or maybe you could get a corset back so that way if you lose some weight - probably not 30 pounds- your dress could be just tied tighter.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree with what others have already said.  Your wedding isn't until the 20th, 7 days before mine, and I am not going in for my first fitting until September 1st.  They did ask that I not loose anymore weight after I start alterations.  So, my main advice is to set a goal of weight loss for your first fitting.  After that, just keep working out and eating healthy, but to maintain your weight and use the calorie tracker like the others mentioned.  You could probably schedule your first fitting 6 weeks before your wedding so that you aren't having to "pause" for too long.
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • I say keep your eye on the prize!  There will be a way to alter it.  Don't give up!
  • I agree!! Keep working on making you happy, and see if you can find another seamstress. Especially with the dress having a corset back, losing weight shouldn't be as big of a deal. Find a seamstress that will tell you when you really need to maintain vs. continue losing weight, because there will be that point, just because you don't want your dress to fall off! I agree with the PP that mentioned using a calorie counter. I use My Fitness Pal as well and you can set it to "maintain" so that you know how many calories to eat and not gain or lose weight. We're also here for support if needed!! :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards