October 2012 Weddings
Options

FB relationship status

I've seen some pictures of a couple updating their relationship status to Married during the ceremony, as well as witnessed via FB many couples changing it at some time during the ceremony. Just curious how everyone feels about this. I personally would never do it during the ceremony, and would like to think I would be too busy at my recpetion to do it. However, I always get a little bit of joy out of seeing so and so is now married to so and so on my newsfeed, so I might if I felt I had a moment.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: FB relationship status

• Options
    Maybe if I had time once we got back to the hotel that night..."Making it official"..lol
    for siggy
  • Options
    I may do it the night of. Definately not during the ceremony and reception. I plan to turn my phone off since I predicate it to be going BSC with facebook notifications.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Options
    Lol exactly! It's not official until it's FB official hahahahaha
  • Options
    Im kinda weird about this too... I dont think I would do it during the whole wedding day (maybe after at the hotel like PP said). Knowing my FI, even if I did it, he wouldnt accept it until the next day lol...
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    I've thought about turning my phone off too. I'd be tempted to look at all the congrats on my wall.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_fb-relationship-status?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:67cc2d53-56f5-4a97-b270-1bbe8c7f3623Post:91443655-bd2a-4acc-8b29-a492a53a96b0">Re: FB relationship status</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im kinda weird about this too... I dont think I would do it during the whole wedding day (maybe after at the hotel like PP said). Knowing my FI, even if I did it, he wouldnt accept it until the next day lol...
    Posted by jonesma204[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>lol Knowing my FI he'll be the one to whip out his phone and change his status. I'll probably have to steal his phone from him that night.</div>
  • Options
    I plan on my phone being in the house during the wedding!!! We're getting married on my parent's land, so the house will be right there. I can't imagine updating during/after the ceremony, or even during the reception!! I would consider it at the hotel, but we're only going to have one phone with us for the honeymoon and it will be turned off the whole time so that we don't get any international charges, but we'll need it when flying back to get a hold of my parents who will be picking us up. Also no laptop since the internet charges are crazy, so it would have to be on one of the computers in the Bahamas...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Ours has been set to married for 6 months... lol

270475_10151278916785395_726690480_n-1
    Mom to D.A (11.09) and 3 beautiful angels (06.08, 03.11, 07.12)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_fb-relationship-status?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:67cc2d53-56f5-4a97-b270-1bbe8c7f3623Post:6e9671a0-7957-4b29-8250-c128525c4ab5">Re: FB relationship status</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ours has been set to married for 6 months... lol
    Posted by RockstarWifey0912[/QUOTE]
    hahahaha. Eh close enough anyway. People have been calling my FI my husband for years now lol.
  • Options
    The earliest it would change would be that night at the hotel. i just feel weird changing it in the middle of everything and I want to enjoy every minute of it. If it's not done that night it might get done after the HM.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I will probably change it on our Honeymoon as I have avoided installing the FB app on my phone until we get to Hawaii. FI insisted I post pics for our family at home to see what we are doing. I could not think of doing it during or after the ceremony/reception. I also am considering telling family not to upload any wedding photos to FB till I want them too. My sisters have a tendency to put everything on FB. I had to follow my engagement phone calls with a text saying not to post on FB. 
    Anniversary
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    I don't have a smart phone (hate em) and don't care much for FB, so won't be bothering until after the honeymoon. I plan on ignoring all devices. Except maybe to go look at photos other people have updated. But that's it.
  • Options
    I've actually thought about trying to do it during out photos after the ceremony, during the cocktail hour, to see if it's something we can get photos of, but FI and I are both big iPhone and social media nerds so I thought it'd be funny.

For me, I say no way during ceremony, and only during reception if there's a quiet second to be able to do it without making a big deal out of it and everyone else knowing (which there's probably not). Otherwise, night of or next day.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    we don't have access with our phone... simple flip phone...

we decided we will change our status together... like we did for being engaged... we sat here and I switched mine, then he switched his..

so probably update like the day after the wedding... going to be a pretty busy weekend having so many come in from out of town :D
  • Options
    We don't have internet on our phones (yeah I know we are way behind on times, lol) but usually take our laptops everywhere with us, so they will be back at the hotel, however, I doubt we will change it right away, maybe the next day sometime.
    62198_4988882445003_1730453872_n
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_fb-relationship-status?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:67cc2d53-56f5-4a97-b270-1bbe8c7f3623Post:32ffb9d5-53d9-4e2d-8099-668dafdd2a4f">Re: FB relationship status</a>:
    [QUOTE]we don't have access with our phone... simple flip phone... we decided we will change our status together... like we did for being engaged... we sat here and I switched mine, then he switched his.. so probably update like the day after the wedding... going to be a pretty busy weekend having so many come in from out of town :D
    Posted by schnugglebug[/QUOTE]

<div>We also changed our status from "in a relationship" to "engaged" together! We planned to do the same for the wedding, which means we won't update it until the day after the wedding at the earliest. If it doesn't get done then, it will be over a week because we are having a technology-free honeymoon :)</div>
  • Options
    Definitely not during the ceremony or reception. We'll probably change it that night or the next day.

• Options
    Probably after we get home from the after party I will change it. FI hates FB so he doesn't even have one.
  • Options
    I'm not sure when it will actually get changed, but it definitely won't be during ceremony. I agree with the PP's that I might change it during cocktail hour/pictures/reception, but thats only if there is a spare moment!

I guess I never even thought of what should be done with my phone during the ceremony. I think I might leave it in the dressing room because that is far enough from the sanctuary that if it does go off we wont be able to hear it.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Eww, no way during the ceremony or the reception. The absolute earliest would be the morning after, but even that's pretty unlikely.  We changed it together for engaged and had to immediately filter out the pictures that show up to be actual pictures of us (our friends tag us in random pictures that they want us to look at). 

I think my phone will be off and stashed somewhere throughout the day; I might even leave it in the car.
  • Options
    That's very weird to me. I imagine once we get back to our house the next day and have opened presents and relaxed a bit we'll probably change our status to married.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Yea, I don't think j would have time during the ceremony or reception. Plus, I am keeping everything like that in the hotel room. I might that night when we get in the room or the next day. Like someone else said, FI wouldn't accept it until after the darn honeymoon. Haha
    weddingpic
  • Options
    I don't go on facebook on my phone. I am behind the times in that way.  We probably wont change our status until we are back home at some point.  We didn't even put that we were engaged on FB until we had told all of our VIPs. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    goatlady12goatlady12 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012

I don't see this happening until the day after.  I don't have anywhere to put my phone in my wedding dress!

Anniversary wedding-1 my read shelf:
    Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I will likely not have my phone on me, or be near a computer, so it seems like somethin that can wait until the next day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 95 Invited
    image 70 Are ready to party!
    image 10 Will be missing out!
    image 15 Are MIA!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_fb-relationship-status?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:67cc2d53-56f5-4a97-b270-1bbe8c7f3623Post:d69bba32-4093-4abb-ae0b-8f47a1b50d8a">FB relationship status</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've seen some pictures of a couple updating their relationship status to Married during the ceremony, as well as witnessed via FB many couples changing it at some time during the ceremony. Just curious how everyone feels about this. I personally would never do it during the ceremony, and would like to think I would be too busy at my recpetion to do it. However, I always get a little bit of joy out of seeing so and so is now married to so and so on my newsfeed, so I might if I felt I had a moment.
    Posted by fjw2012[/QUOTE]

Haven't read the other responses yet, but my FI and I are actually doing it DURING the ceremony, haha. We've incorporated it into the script and everything : ) FI and I met on Facebook so that's basically the play of things. Our officient will say, "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may update your Facebook statuses". And we'll pull our phones out and start updating, but then he'll go, "No, really, kiss!" I'm excited : D haha
  • Options
    Guess I'm in the minority! Haha, to each his own :) Our ceremony is light-hearted and full of jokes that represent us, so we don't view it as tacky at all
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_fb-relationship-status?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:67cc2d53-56f5-4a97-b270-1bbe8c7f3623Post:ba4d4bde-2a23-4d38-832b-093a93500a97">Re: FB relationship status</a>:
    [QUOTE]Guess I'm in the minority! Haha, to each his own :) Our ceremony is light-hearted and full of jokes that represent us, so we don't view it as tacky at all
    Posted by heatherfitz[/QUOTE]

<div>I thought this was very cute, and pretty friggin funny. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_fb-relationship-status?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:67cc2d53-56f5-4a97-b270-1bbe8c7f3623Post:70778b4b-bdad-4487-ac41-cf00378d450b">Re: FB relationship status</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FB relationship status : I thought this was very cute, and pretty friggin funny. 
    Posted by Jasperk23[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>haha, thanks!</div>
  • Options
    Heather, that's awesome!

If ours wasn't already set to married (Long story) I would do it the day after, before we catch our plane to CA.  FI doesn't use his all that often, so really it's best for it to say 'Married'.  Everyone on our friends list knows that we aren't yet so it's w/e.

270475_10151278916785395_726690480_n-1
    Mom to D.A (11.09) and 3 beautiful angels (06.08, 03.11, 07.12)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards