October 2012 Weddings

Book Worms

What are you reading?  And what is next on your list?
I've been on book hiatus, I started the Maze Runner series forever ago and am having a hard time getting back into it.  I'm thinking I need to get away from YA for a while.  Thinking I might start the Game Of Thrones series or Outlander after this book.  I need a little change.
Anniversary wedding-1 my read shelf:
Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Book Worms

• I have a friend's copy of the second Fifty Shades book on my nightstand that I've been meaning to finish for awhile now. Should get around to that.

After that I have about 25 books on my "to read" shelf that have been sitting there since we got engaged. Tops on the list are The Paris Wife, The Doula, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series.
    Anniversary
  • There are so many books that I want to read.  I am getting a Nook hd for Christmas so I am kinda holding out on getting a new book.  The last ones that I read was the Hunger Games series. 

I know that a bunch of us are really into book so I was thinking about seeing if people wanted to start a book club or something.  What do you guys think?
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_book-worms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:6c449a32-40ab-4441-8f97-4fcda7a6334ePost:6dc68f9d-4a20-4696-a0df-c63d1a1d0f00">Re: Book Worms</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are so many books that I want to read.  I am getting a Nook hd for Christmas so I am kinda holding out on getting a new book.  The last ones that I read was the Hunger Games series.  I know that a bunch of us are really into book so I was thinking about seeing if people wanted to start a <strong>book club</strong> or something.  What do you guys think?
    Posted by Cathyl7910[/QUOTE]

Love this idea!
    Also if you liked the Hunger Games, you should read Divergent.
    Anniversary wedding-1 my read shelf:
    Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I'd be down with a book club.
    Anniversary
  • I'd be interested in that too! 

My husband is getting me a Kindle for Christmas!  I can't wait.

I just finished Hunger Games last week, and next on my list is Catching Fire and Mocking Jay.  I've also been reading the Women's Murder Club books by James Patterson.  I've only read the first 3 so far.  Probably after I finish the Hunger Games books, I'll go back to the Women's Murder Club books.
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • i just read Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens- it was good! i dont know what book i will pick up next! i have a ton of books my cousin lent me!
  • I just finished re-reading The Host. I aboslutely love it, it's really good!

I'd also be interested in a book club :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm a librarian and a patron just came in and asked for the paris wife right before I read this post. Um yes I'm looking at this at work Embarassed Anywho that might be a good book club read. I'm pretty much reading YA or Juv books right now. I'm reading the third of Matched, Crossed, Reached, it is really really good
  • Right now I am reading Born in Fire by Nora Roberts.  A coworker lent it to me and I have having a hard time getting into it.  The book I read before this was The Pretties which is the second in a triology of YA distoypian novels.  I liked the first one better, The Uglies, and am not sure if i want to continue or not.

I am all about a book club.  I used to read a lot more but with planning I stopped and haven't really picked it up.  I have had Born in Fire for a couple weeks and am only on about page 50.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I read all.of.the.time. :-) And I love the share my great reads (especially with awesome ladies!!) so here are some of my all-time favs:

YA Series: The Hunger Games series is excellent but Harry Potter will always hold the most special "book series" place in my heart. xoxo Harry
    Adult Series: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, no question, no contest
    My comments on 50 Shades: Yeah, it's good. No doubt about that! But if you remove the context and content, it's written at about a 7th grade reading level, which was hard for me to deal with. The actual dialogue kind of makes you gag. But again, it's a freaking sexy book!
    Adult Non-fiction: Maiden Voyage (about a girl who sails around the world by herself). Unbroken (very intense true story about a WWII POW by the author of Seabiscut)
    Adult Fiction: Girlchild, Life of Pi, All the Pretty Horses, A Painted House
    Autobiography: Depends on who you like but Barbara Walters has a wonderful autobiography as does George Stephanopolis. 
    Non Fiction Adventure: The Lost City of Z is about a true quest to find a lost city in the Amazon

Enjoy!! Hope this helps you find your next great read! 

• kimm260 I have to say that most book twos are transition books and are not very good. Look at the Two towers by Tolkien. The series as a whole is good so I say keep plugging! I actually just read a book 2 in a series in like 15 mins because I just skimmed it to see what happened! As far as Nora Roberts, here earlier stuff is better, I've read pretty much everything she has written and I'm about done with her to be honest.
  • Not currently reading anything, but the last book I read was The Lucky One by N. Sparks.  SO BAD.  I hated it.

I tend to love the classics more than anything.  Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier is my absolute favorite.  So amazing.  All loved The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird.  And A Farewell to Arms.  And so many more!

As for modern stuff...love Jodi Piccoult..The Pact and 19 Minutes were amazing (and who doesn't love My Sister's Keeper?!) but my favorite modern book is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.  Hands down.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • DH got me a kindle a few months ago after I kept bothering him how much I wanted one.  So far, I have read 2 books on it.  LOL!  Actually, more like 1 book and I'm currently reading the 2nd.  Lol.  I'm so bad.  I got hooked on the Hunger Games when I borrowed a coworkers kindle and read the first book.  Downloaded the 2nd hunger games book on my kindle and read through that...it was meh.  Currently reading the 3rd book and it's taking me forever to read.  I think it's because the wedding got in the way and I never got the time to just sit down and read it.  Plus, so far it's just not that good...the 1st book is far superior than the other 2.  Oh well.  i guess I better finish it now so I don't feel like I wasted money.  Haha. 
    Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2
  • I just finished the 5th book in the Game of Thrones series.  I don't know if I can wait another 3 or 4 years for the final book to come out.  I loved them.  I read the second book while watchign the 2nd season of the HBO series and was annoyed at a lot of the detail changes.  I probably wouldn't have noticed as much if I wasn't reading the book at the time.  I though the 1st season did a better job following the book.

I needed something to read and found a book sitting in my parents' house so I took it haha.  Its called "All Souls" by Michael Patrick MacDonald.  It's about a boy and his family from Southie.  I'm always into anything that is Irish related.  Its a first hand persepective on living in the project housing in Southie during the 60s, 70s, etc.  So far, so good.  
    photo a30c432e-0cf0-41d0-b1f3-bf4836bea2fc_zps89190598.jpg
  • So I know I'm a major TK slacker...but I'd be up for a book club! Now that I'm not wedding planning, I really want to get back to reading.

If you're looking for some funny non-fiction, Bossypants by Tina Fey is hilarious!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Right now I'm reading Lola and the boy next door - Stephanie Perkins.  The first book was Anna and the french kiss, and it was really good, read it on the HM.  I'm also reading Bed of Roses - Nora Robert's Bridal Quartet series.  It's entertaining.

I also listen to audiobooks, Listening to Speaker for the Dead - Orson Scott Card, book 2 of Ender's Saga.  Really good dystopian series!

I'm down with a book club.  TN local board does one, and we frame it up like Nest Book Club with categories and points.  It's based on the season (winter book club, spring, etc).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Ooh I'm down too, I'm always having trouble trying to figure out how to figure out what's a good book! I love Biography's and autobiagraphies and nonfiction stories but every now and then need some fiction too.  I loved the hunger games series, It kept me up at night trying to finish it.  Slowly working on Ted Kennedy's autobiography, I don't really have an opinion on him but just intersted in his story and well it was on teh bargain shelf! Have some other bargain ones on my shelf that I haven't been able to bring myself to start reading. I do love anything by Emily Griffin, except her Heart of the Matter. It make me really mad and sadly I would take it out on DH. So he would stear clear of me when I was reading it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards