October 2012 Weddings

Picnic Tables

Ladies,

We are getting married in a barn. The barn comes with picnic tables, but my original thought was that there was no way I wanted to use those. So our catering is providing round tables and wooden padded chairs (at an additional cost of course).

We are paying for everything ourselves and quite honestly can't afford any of it lol. It will mostly be going on credit cards. So with that weighing on my mind I've been thinking . . . are the picnic tables that bad? It is a barn wedding. My concern is not about how they look but more about people having to get in and out of them. I just thought women with dresses on having to climb in and out of picnic tables might be a mess.

What is everyone's opinion on this? Picnic tables or no picnic tables?

Thanks!
172 Invited. image
130 Accepted. image
42 Declined. image
0 Can't find the mailbox. imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Picnic Tables

• I dont think the picnic tables are that bad but I feel like using them would make the wedding look for laid back.. . now if your going to the laid back, relaxed feel then yes use them and maybe mention on the invites to go casual with the dress. If you want a more dressed up wedding then I would use the tables. Or even have a couple tables for those who have a hard time getting out of the picnic tables like the ones with leg problems or who are older.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic This is Darla and Chester. Darla is the black and white basset and Chester is the tan and black basset. Image and video hosting by TinyPic This is Emma kitty Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with kallen.  If you are trying to save money, then it may be best to just stick with the picnic tables.
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • I just watched 4 weddings and one of the brides used picnic tables and it seemed to work fine for her! Save the money it will be unusual and different and you should just pretend like you wanted it to be that way Laughing
  • I agree with PP. I think it would fit right in with the barn venue but would definitely have a more laid back feel. I think it would look pretty cool! I say save the money if you can.
  • Thanks ladies. The only concerns I have are people getting in and out of the tables and nice clothes getting pulled on the wood. For example, bridesmaids are going to wear chiffon.

Other option is between plastic brown chairs or white resin chairs. Brown color would go better and using plastic chairs could save us $300 or so. Just not sure about comfort and appearance.

Who knew chairs could be such a hard decision? Lol.
    172 Invited. image
    130 Accepted. image
    42 Declined. image
  • I love the barn idea!  I also think the tables would be great -- plus it will save you money. Are they really old and worn? Because you may not need to worry about it, if they aren't that old. Maybe you could also price covers or cushions for the benches? It maybe cheaper than going with table/chairs.  
    October '12
    ~MARRIED 10.11.12~
  • Have you seen the tables in person? Sometimes picnic tables are sealed and not rough to the touch at all, especially if they've been stored indoors. If they aren't smooth they would still be fine but I would cover at least the benches with some sort of pad and fabric to prevent snags.

As PP said also consider having one or two "reserved" tables for your guests that might need back support or have issues bending to get onto the bench. From working as an EMT my back is pretty screwed up and I know I can't sit for long without something to lean against. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker unnamed LilySlim Weight loss tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I love the idea of picnic tables, but like you, my first thought was people having to get in and out of them. I agree with PPs maybe trying to make it a little more casual, which might help. But I am also worried about older guests trying to get in and out of picnic tables. Could you maybe do half and half? I don't know how they would look together because I haven't seen pictures... but could you make that a happy medium? And make it clear that the tables should be reserved for those who may have a difficult time with opicnic table. Such as by word of mouth at the ceremony and cute signs at the reception.
  • Thanks ladies. I'll have to take a look at the picnic tables! I'm really torn on what to do. Using brown plastic chairs would still save us a potential $600 so we may just go with that.
    172 Invited. image
    130 Accepted. image
    42 Declined. image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards