October 2012 Weddings
Options

Would you book a vendor that everyone else says is "the best" if you didn't like their att

I was so excited that this hair stylist was available for my wedding because she comes highly recommended. She is an on-location hair stylist, so I was going to splurge for me and my girls and have her come to the house we are renting. SHE IS EXPENSIVE! I was having a hard time swallowing the cost, but literally every vendor recommends her, every wedding website she has TONS of glowing reviews.

I got her contract today and all I can say is.....DIVA!!! Holy cow!
It says things like "I will not do...blah, blah, blah...so don't ask" and "under no circumstance will I move once set up. Please advise all parties and make preparations prior to my arrival." AND the worst: "If you chose to add any services after the date of this contract, those services will be offered at an increased price of 20%" SERIOUSLY? The wedding isn't for 8 months lady. If my mother-in -law decides closer to the wedding that she wants her hair done too, you're going to charge her 20% more? WHY? OH...and "We understand that the flower girl is an important part of your wedding day, but if she is unable to sit still or repeatedly messes up her hair, the stylist will not provide touch ups."

I think this woman's head has gotten a little big. Undeniably, everyone I've talked to says she's the best. I do want the best!!! BUT...I'm just worried about bad energy/attitude on my wedding day. We want to enjoy this process.

What do you guys think? In a thing like hair, SKILL is really important. But should I hold out for SKILL and MANNERS? Or just go with "the best"....even if she is a diva? What would you do?

October 2012 Board: June Siggy

Re: Would you book a vendor that everyone else says is "the best" if you didn't like their att

• Options
    I would address these issues with her and see how she responds to them.  If I still felt like she was being unreasonable after that, then I would look elsewhere.  I love all the vendors that we have selected for our wedding and I think that is important.  You want to be the most comfortable and relaxed as you can be before and during your wedding and if you have someone there with a negative or bitchy attitude, then I would think it would put a damper on your day.

The things in her contract are incredibly ridiculous.
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Ugh that's a tough one!

I've noticed that a lot of my vendors' contracts are much more business-like and some are a bit more diva-like than theyreally are in person.  I think that a lot of people in the wedding industry get screwed over when people cancel their weddings, don't make payments on time, etc; so I understand the reason's behind such harsh contracts.

However, none of my vendors' contracts have been as harsh as the one you just described.  Can you talk to this hair stylist in person and ask specific questions regarding the contract?  I can understand why she wouldn't want to move once all of her stuff is set up, but some of those other things are really ridiculous (the 20% more, the flower girl comment).  Maybe she comes off as a diva in the contract but this doesn't really reflect her personality?  

I know she comes highly recommended, but if she still doesn't make you feel comfortable after you've spoken in person, I would go with someone else.  The last thing you need is to not feel comfortable in your bridal suite!  On your wedding day,you should be treated like a princess by the stylist...not the other way around!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The most important part to me is to be comfortable with someone. Especially with someone like a hairstylist who will be working closely with you on the day of the wedding. If she has a bad attitude, she can make an uncomforatble environment for you and your girls getting ready on your big day.

I'd meet with her or talk to her and ask questions about the contract. Like PP said, see how she reacts in person and go from there.

That being said, her contract is way too harsh and unnecessary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm sure she wants to cover her bases, but it seems excessive.  I agree--talk to her, and see how she responds.  I would be wary, though.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• Options
    That's just her contract. Maybe try talking to her first. If she sounds the way her contract does and is very difficult to work with, I wouldn't give her my business.
    Wedding items for sale! Check out our website:

http://www.reyestoy.weebly.com

Photobucket

Anniversary

• Options
    I probably wouldn't even consider booking her to be honest.  The most nervous you'll be all day will likely be while getting ready, that's when you want the most calming vendor.

However I do agree with the ladies here that you should talk to her, but honestly just because she's supposedly "the best" doesn't mean there aren't others out there who would do as good a job if you went elsewhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

258 invitedimage
    182 can't wait to partyimage
    76 are missing all the funimage
  • Options
    robije7robije7 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I know that this isn't the exact same BUT I run a Day Care from out of my home and the state requires we have a contract and they highly reccommend to make the contract cover EVERY little thing.  I'm an extremely laid back person but based off my contract you would think I was a beyotch (for lack of a better word lol!).  I try to make it strict so I don't have people walking all over me but some things that my contract says I wont put up with are things I'd be willing to let go depending on the situation.

Again I know that this is a completely different situation so I'm not trying to directly compare but maybe she's had someone screw her over before so putting her guidelines in writing gives her a leg to stand on? OR she's just a diva and has let success go to her head hahaha but talk to her first :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If it were me, I would probably just be pissed off and not book her but I believe all the PP have a great point and you should talk to her first.  However, if she still has a bad attitude then you shouldn't have to deal with that.  While she does come highly recommended I'm sure there are plenty of other great hair stylists out there that would have better attitudes and while it might mean having to spend more time searching for one, it might be worth it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards