October 2012 Weddings
Options

My coworkers also rock!

I mentioned this in the Confessions thread yesterday, but I think it deserves a post of its own. My coworkers threw me a surprise shower yesterday! It was fantastic. First my supervisor pulls me aside after I get out of an appointment and tells me she needs to speak with me immediately. We work in a mental health clinic, so I thought something had gone wrong with one of the patients! Sure enough, she starts talking to me about this case and steers me toward the conference room so we could talk privately...but when she opened the door, everyone was inside and shouted surprise! I apparently had a pretty hilarious look on my face, LOL.

So there was a bunch of food brought in for a potluck lunch, and our nursing team had decorated the whole conference room. Because FI and I are both big geeks and all my coworkers know I'm a Trekkie, we did an absolutely awesome Klingon prewedding 'ritual' that someone had managed to find on the internet, apparently intended to prepare me to be a proper Klingon wife, LOL. One of my coworkers even dressed up as a Klingon with tinfoil armor and a sword to 'officiate'! Then I opened presents, and I was absolutely floored by how much everyone had put into that. I came away with the towels from our registry, which someone had managed to track down online and stalk, a set of matching robes for FI and I, BBB gift cards...and 400 bucks! I seriously almost did an ugly cry thanking everybody, I was so touched. It was especially awesome because I'm not having a shower or a bachelorette party with friends and family, because most everyone I would have wanted there is OOT and it proved logistically impossible to get all of them together. But now work has stepped up and given me the experience of both, the surprise shower yesterday and a mini bachelorette tonight. So I don't feel like I'm missing out anymore.

I unfortunately didn't invite anyone from work to the wedding because I work in an office of over 40 people. Inviting all of them plus their SOs would have almost doubled the size of the wedding and put us way over budget, and inviting only some of them would have been rude and awkward. I feel really badly about that because of how supportive they've been and how excited they are about the wedding. There's nothing for it now, but I do plan on doing a thank you card for everyone involved...and probably some cookies as well because social workers love baked goods. :
October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image

Re: My coworkers also rock!

• Options
    That is seriously awesome!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    That is incredibly sweet. I got a little bit choked up reading about it! I'm sure they're happy to support you.  And yes, everyone loves cookies (teachers fall into the same camp).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    That was really sweet of them.  You work with a great bunch of people.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    That is awesome! 

My work peeps through a lovely shower for us and then my F's co-workers through one despite his protests (he's their boss lol). He started out his thank you speech with "We need to work on our listening skills" lol. They were really sweet. By the time they threw their shower, we had most of the household items we needed, but we were not going to be able to go on a honeymoon. They gave us over $200 so we get to for a few nights on a honeymoon. We are all so blessed with people who love us. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    pocky - it sounds like you have some of the most amazing coworkers ever!! I used to work for a car dealership and they were the type of people to do similar things. We threw a surprise baby shower for our receptionist, and for my first wedding they passed around a card and all of them signed it and each put some cash in it. The cash went towards the honeymoon and I still have that card!! It made me cry. :)

geieran - That is so awesome!! I'm really glad to hear that with the surprise shower gift you guys are able to take a short honeymoon. That is definitely really sweet of them!!
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    That's exciting! It sounds like they took the time too  in order to make sure they really knew you and did 'you' things!
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • Options
    My coworkers have been great too! I just started a new job in August, so none of them are invited and I really didn't expect anything. My boss allowing me to come in and work for 2 months and then take 2 weeks off for HM was more than enough. They've been so good about having to run errands or leave early for my dress fittings.... AND last night the took me out for drinks - had a blast, and they are taking me out to lunch on Monday. Coolest!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards