DC
Options

NWR/XP: Does anyone have a gov. security clearance?

So this might be a long shot...I'm applying for jobs in a town with lots of government/defense jobs. Even for jobs that aren't directly related to R&D or defense, they require that I already have security clerances. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how I go about this? Yes, I've googled, but some of the official websites are way over my head at this point. I'm just looking for a starting point...
"In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs

Re: NWR/XP: Does anyone have a gov. security clearance?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know how much this is going to help but I thought I'd try-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A52768-2003Feb10?language=printer
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PS- I LOVE your card box! Did you freehand the names and date? It looks so good!
  • Options
    OFFOFF
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have to already have a job that requires clearance to get clearance.  I know I know silly isn't it?  Basically a company will hire you and then start the application process for whatever level of clearance they need you to have.  Unfortunately it's not something you can initiate yourself.  So even if the job says clearance apply.  If they like you they will hire you and start the process.  Usually they have non clearance work for people to do until their clearance passes.  Hope this helps! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    if it a government job they will usually make a conditional offer of employment, pending the outcome of a background investigation.  This can take anywhere from 3-6 months.  That means you don't actually start the job until your clearance is granted.  It is worth the wait.  If you can get in with a defense contractor they will often have you do non clearance work while they do the background- this could be filing or answering phones.... its a good idea to just get your foot in the door and your clearnce if you can stomach it- many people can't- i.e. egos get in the way.  Look at usajobs.gov for all govt jobs clearance and non clearance worldwide.  Good luck! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You may also want to research online what is required for a clearance.  They will do a background investigatin and there are certain disqualifiers depending on the level of clearance and the agency.  You may want to make sure you understand the process before you undergo it... 
  • Options
    PressMePressMe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto the other comments.  Apply for the jobs.  They will get you the clearance that you need.  Depending on the agency everyone needs a clearance, from the maintenance people to the administrative assistant to the VP.  If they're interested in you, the employer will let you know what you will need for the clearance.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my fiance's job required one & he didn't have it at the time. they hired him & paid for his clearance.

My Planning Bio ** For Sale
    UPDATED 1/5/11

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards