DC

How many photogs did you interview?

How many photogs did you consider/interview? I would just like to get an idea from others if they emailed several photogs (I emailed maybe 4) and then interviewed a few (I've only interivewed one) before deciding on the one.My wedding planner has recommended one, and FI and I did really bond with her (especially FI), but I feel that we should shop around (we're 7 months from wedding).  All the check marks are there (style, chemistry, etc.) for this photog, except that she is not inexpensive (starting $4K, but that's for unlimited time and 2 photogs and lighting asst), but I think she would be flexible budget-wise.I'm kind of feeling lazy to interview or even send out anymore emails to prospective photogs and feel that if I found someone we like, then I should be done.  It's just I'm not that blown away.  I like her, but maybe I haven't seen enough of others to know that she's great.  I have attended a number of wedding showcases and seen many photographer's books, as well as websites.  What would you do?

Re: How many photogs did you interview?

• edited December 2011
    Emailed a few, met one, loved her, booked her.
  • edited December 2011
    I've emailed about 8 of them, probably looked at websites for 15+ and have scheduled appts with 3.  I'd get more clarity on her pricing, ie ask for a quote based on exactly what you want, to make sure she's really flexible budget-wise.
  • OFFOFF
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Meet with 3 the first one, thought he was a flake, then booked the second, it just felt  right then the fool up and closed his office, So booked anothere one who was justo wonderful, PS I did get our money back from number 2 finally, but I think pics are the most important thing, but if I weren't blown away, I would look more.
  • guacamollyguacamolly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    looked at websites for about 10, e-mailed 3 or 4, talked to you via e-mail, LOOOVED his answers and his work (make sure you see FULL wedding shots, not just their portfolio, you want to see full weddings from start to finish) and booked him.
  • edited December 2011
    I emailed about 10 or so.  met with 4.  I liked them all and we ended up picking the one that had the best artistic style.  OUr photographer was amazing and a bit cheaper then what you have here, let me know if you want her info.
  • edited December 2011
    2. Booked the first one, didn't have a great feeling about him, he fell through 6 months before the wedding. Shopped around the internet, sent out a few emails, interviewed one in person, and booked him. He worked out great. No need to shop around too much. Ask the important questions, look at their portfolio, and go with your gut. And of course, check knottie reviews :~)
  • mtphammtpham member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you post the name of the photographer who does unlimited time?  (or you can email me at maiapham(at)gmail.com)  Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    I am in the process now!  I emailed a lot, about 20 photogs.  Then I got really overwhelmed.  I made an excel list of 13 photogs.  We picked 5 that we want to meet with.  We will do the first three - our top picks first.  If you want the information send me an email, mzeidner at gmail dot com.  We are looking to spend 3K for entire photography package - day of, at least 8 hours of coverage, and at least one album.  We are also interested in seeing if the photographer will include engagement pics.I feel like if you are not blown away, you should consider a few more.  Especially since this is a big part of the wedding and the pics you will have to remember the day.
  • edited December 2011
    The thing with photogs is that they will change things if they like you, so don't always go off f what they post. Talk to them. My photog was only suppose to be with me for 7hrs. He ended up being with me for 10. He said he doesn't count hours riggidly, watching the clock to make sure he doesn't go over. Also, I got my package for cheaper than what he normally does them because he liked us as a couple.
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We considered two, and interviewed one.  Then again, we have a low budget for photography, and our wedding is in MA.  One of the two we were considering happened to be sightseeing with his family in DC, and was able to sit down and talk with us while he was here.  That pretty much tipped the balance in favor of hiring him.
  • edited December 2011
    Met with 3, definitely check around - we're not paying anywhere near $4K.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards