DC
Options

DJ Costs

I do not have any clue on how much I can expect to spend on  DJ. A friend of mine who owns a reputable DJ business told me not to spend anymore than $400-$600- another person quoted me $1000. I am definitely doing a wedding on a very strict and LIMITED budget. I want a good DJ but I don't want to pay $1,000 for one.With that said, I have no idea how much they cost!
BFP Chart BFP 1/9/12 :: EDD 9/19/12 Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: DJ Costs

• Options
    tracy_ktracy_k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like anything, there's a vast range. I think many wedding vendors in the DC area can get away with charging what I would consider exorbitant prices, so that's what many of them charge. And as with many things, you often get what you pay for in terms of service & availability. In the DC area, many (if not most) DJs charge more than $400-600, there's nothing wrong with that. But there are certainly lots of options for DJs, you should be able to easily find someone within your budget. The most important thing to ask when you contact a DJ is whether or not you can meet with your specific performer before the wedding, and if they guarantee you will actually have that performer. Alot of the big DJ vendors don't assign you a specific person in advance, or they'll have you meet with one guy and then a totally different person may perform your wedding. The DJ's personality is really critical.You also want to make sure they have access to a backup performer and a backup sound system in case there is an emergency on your day.
  • Options
    spuliaficospuliafico member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting my DJ for $300...I found two grad students who have been DJing for several years and have done quite a few weddings. I will have 2 DJ's they bring their hardcopy music and use the laptops (2) as backup, they have all their own gear.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My DJ is David Orlando from Baltimore, he gets rave reviews on weddingwire.com - http://www.weddingwire.com/reviews/orlando-entertainment-parkville/4fc68941da46fb37.htmlThe fee is $650 for four hours and he is providing a microphone for the ceremony.  This price beat a lot of other DJ's in the area.  So far I have found him extremely professional and great to work with.  He was recommended by another bride who got married in my venue.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine is $750 and it's for the entire night. He has lots of experience, and even sings a little (Sinatra, Michael Buble type stuff - and he wasn't bad :) ).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    where did you find the two grad students to DJ for that cheap?  I need ways to find these people!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The prices I saw in this area when I was looking were $700-$1200 depending on how long you needed them, etc. We ended up paying $850, and I think it's going to be one of the best bargains we get for the wedding - he's awesome!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know several great DJs from working in the bar business, and I will personally be using DJ Rizzo for my wedding in June 2011.He's not only great, but also very personable, friendly, accomodating, and a good friend of mine. I don't know what his prices are, but I'm sure I'll be getting a break as I know him personally. If you do contact him, let him know that Wendy "Wiggles" recommended him.He also knows a couple of other DJs who have different styles, depending on what type of music you want to use for your reception. DJ Casper is awesome, as well as DJ Tim Leary. Both of these guys lean more towards rock, or even techno music. All of these guys are great, friendly, professional, and I can personally vouch for all of them since I've worked with them all, hung out with them, and have even been to Rizzo's and Tim's weddings. Check out Rizzo here! http://www.djrizzo.com/DJ_Rizzo/Welcome.html
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    "Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them upon the tablet of your heart."

161 invited image
    74 ready to celebrate! image
    87 won't make it :(image
    0 still to respond image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Kirk from Kirkabee's for $850 for 4 hours.  He was fantastic and flexible and helpful.  He was going to do things most won't without charging - like 2 speaker set ups in different areas for cocktail area, etc.  He did exactly what we wanted.  He is on the lower side for this area but far better than many.  Highly recommend!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am booking an Iranian DJ (at the request of my father!) DJ Dariush for $700 for 4.5 hours. I am not sure how many great Iranian DJs are out there though, so I figure I don't have many options to negotiate as much as others would.
  • Options
    Chanel8174Chanel8174 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are booking through Bialeks....DJ  and String Trio for 1600.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards