DC

Would you invite...

Would you invite your dentist to the wedding when he says to you, "I want an invitation to that wedding!"  First, I should say that through the years (perhaps six or so years), I have kept my dentist abreast of FI's and my  saga (long story).  He's actually provided some great advice.  So, yesterday, I was in for a teeth cleaning, and he noticed the e-ring.  I joked that as a wedding present, he should not find any cavities (his hygenist actually prompted me to say it).  He then says, "well, as a wedding present, come back a month before the wedding, and I'll whiten your teeth for free."  I wasn't really planning to do this, but I'm told (by the hygenist) that it's about a $1500 procedure that my dentist is giving me for free!So, now I guess I have to invite my dentist and his wife. What would you do?

Re: Would you invite...

• edited December 2011
    Do you have stringent guest list restrictions? If you invite them, it doesn't mean they will come. Teeth whitening is worth it alone, but also because you trusted this person with your stuff and your teeth!
  • PressMePressMe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you have the space, I would do it!
  • tidetraveltidetravel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Um. No.  This is called "fishing for an invite."  Unless you socialize with these people outside of a business relationship, they are not close enough, IMO, to get an invitation to such a personal event.  Unless, of course, you have the space and you WANT to invite them, in which case, go ahead.  But you shouldn't feel like you HAVE to. Just because people give you a wedding present does not mean that they automatically get an invite; just because someone gets an invite to the wedding does not mean they automatically have to buy you a present either.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    While I do agree it is fishing for an invite, I would still invite him. If he has been listening for years about you & FI's story, then he is a friend as well as your dentist. He is taking interest in your personal life and that is a friendly dentist IMO. I would do it just for the free teeth whitening myself, LOL, but also ... he may get the invite and feel embarrassed that you took him seriously and not actually come. Either way, I would want invite him... what's one more person?
  • kjane12kjane12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sure, why not?  Maybe you weren't considering him to be included in the guest list earlier, but he'd obviously like to share in the happy affair, and what a great gift! :)  If you were comfortable telling him stories about your life and building a relationship over 6+ yrs it might be nice to have him there, and then continue going to your dentist after the wedding.  Personally, I love my dentist.  And if I had much more room on my guest list, I'd invite him too.
  • edited December 2011
    If it was just your dentist and not someone you'd confided in over the years, I'd say absolutely not. But because you seem to be close to him, and he's offered a very generous gift, I'd say just do it if you have the room. It would be a nice gesture.
  • spuliaficospuliafico member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say if you want to invite him, do it! But don't invite him just so you get free teeth whitening, that's kind of, I dunno, greedy I guess. He sounds like someone you trut and can chat with and who actually probably feels like he's been a close friend in yours and FI's relationship all along...even if he's a dentist! (I have to ask, is his name Hermie?! ok just kidding) In all honesty, FI wants to invite my OBGYN! Which we probably would if he hadn't delivered my son and seen me in all my glory...that'd just be a little awkward! But if you honestly feel like he's someone that close that you confided in and who CLEARLY cares about you as a friend not just a patient, then invite him! But don't do it just for the teeth whitening...you'd feel bad about it later!
  • edited December 2011
    Haha it is a little odd that he came right out and requested an invitation!  But, it sounds like you've had friendly chats with him about the relationship and he did offer a gift.  If you don't have serious guest count problems, I'd go ahead and invite him. 
  • edited December 2011
    ummm.... no... thats ridiculous to tell you that. I did have an old supervisor recently email me and ask why she didn't get an invite. I thought she was joking so I sent an email back talking about my day ..etc.. and then I got another email saying "Seriously, why didn't I get invited?". WTF... I haven't responded.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards