Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

My first bridezilla moment

My friends sends me an IM saying she found the perfect dress to wear to my wedding.

This.

Jsc-385d-001-1_550x550

Now, I'm not the kind of person who gets all pissy about people wearing white to a wedding, but I just kinda felt like this was pushing it a little.

So I tried to be polite and say "Ooo, pretty.  Wouldn't that look great in a gun metal grey??'

She says.. and I QUOTE "Yeah, but this color is nice for a wedding though."

Well of course it's nice for a wedding- it's what the $%&^ BRIDE WEARS!!

Woo- sa.  Woooooo.  effing.  sa.

Sorry.  just had to get that out.
Mrs. JEGs
est 7.17.10
[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
Hunter Fillmore
October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress

Re: My first bridezilla moment

• ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldn't tell you what color anyone wore. You won't care, you won't notice. Honestly. It's not a white floor length gown, it's okay.
  • edited December 2011
    I would be freaking too and I don't consider it bridezilla!

That dress could be a brides dress for a summer wedding!
  • PhillyGal34PhillyGal34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if I'll notice during my wedding but I have noticed during other weddings whenever someone wears white... I personally think its rude! I would never do it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Nicole! I would be a annoyed. but I might not notice at the wedding. I seriously thought it was a wedding gown when I first looked.

Amer- Was she kidding?
  • Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    edited December 2011
    Bride.. no, she isn't kidding.

She ordered it already.
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • edited December 2011
    Grrr! I would be like um no. You can't wear that! haha.
  • edited December 2011
    Why send it to you?  That's what I don't get.  I have seen people wear white to weddings and I always kind of shake my head at them.  But to get a white dress and send it to the bride saying "this is what I'm wearing to your wedding?"  I don't know, that seems unnecessary.

Like PP said, I probably wouldn't notice or remember what any one person was wearing.

Reminds me of my friend's wedding though. Her mother showed up in a floor-length white evening gown.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    edited December 2011
    It's not white or ivory, it looks almost gold. I've seen people wear this to weddings all the time, MOG MOB dresses are this color. I have never seen a bridal gown that dark. I've def. noticed when someone wears white to a wedding, but this isn't white. I guess what I'm trying to say is, your friend is probably thinking the same thing I am.
  • Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

um what woman doesnt know that its considered bad ettiquete to wear white to a wedding?? 
    My FSIL's mother in law wore white to their wedding when they got married and I just couldn't believe it. And she wouldn't show anyone her dress until the day of (gee wonder why) my FMIL was so pissed. It's just not in good taste. 

that sucks- but you'll be too busy loving your day to even notice. Still- not cool of her at all though.  (maybe someone else will say something to her and she'll return it?)

Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
    edited December 2011
    Did she get it in white, or in this gold/champagne color? Maybe I'm missing that part.
    edited December 2011
    It looks ivory gold on my computer but no matter what I think it is inappropriate and I agree that it is very odd that she sent it to you... even if you wouldn't have noticed otherwise you probably will now.  Do you have a friend that can email her and tell her not to wear it?

I understand MOB/MOG often wear gold, but I feel like they are allowed to because they are featured in some way as well.... just my opinion though. 
  • edited December 2011
    You cannot tell someone what they can and cannot wear to your wedding. If she buys it and shows up in it - are you going to ask her to leave? I am sorry, I know it looks strange, but I do not think anyone will mistake your friend for the bride, if she wears that dress.

I had 2 people show up in jeans. Was it appropriate? No. But it didn't change anything at the end of the day.
  • Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just think it's too light in general.  IMO.  

I usually wear black to weddings lol.  I figure you can't go wrong with black.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Yea, while it is not white, it still looks like a wedding dress for summer. I would not ever think about wearing something remotely like that to a wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    cand- Jeans? That is nuts, who does that? Not like you got married in a backyard!
    edited December 2011
    I feel like people who wear white to a wedding are desperate for attention... why else would they do it? I feel like its common knowledge that it is not appropriate. 
    edited December 2011
    See, I wouldn't think of getting married in a casual champagne knee length dress...

The only way I find this inappropriate is if the bride chooses a champagne knee length dress for her wedding, the friend knows this, and wears said dress posted anyway. You will be in a long white gown... they won't look even remotely similar.

And cand - I had someone in sweats. :-). Not kidding.
    edited December 2011
    there are wedding dresses that look like this... i saw them when I was looking.... a lot of reception dresses are like this actually .... i find it odd that she emailed it to you. 
  • edited December 2011
    I find it odd that someone would wear sweats, jeans, or a white(ish) dress to a wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    I too don't get why she sent it to you. Maybe she is joking...
  • edited December 2011
    Shut up Cand and BP!  Jeans and sweatpants.  What's up with these people?

I agree you can't tell people to wear to your wedding, other then a dress code the venue has, mine has one for the room reception will be held.  
    I am Judgy McJuderson on women who wear white, are dressed like hookers, etc.  I makes me feel good.   I know I'm not the only one so over all it makes her look like an ass not you.  
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with your feelings - I would be pissed too. I don't understand why she would even consider a dress that shade or style - IMO it looks like something a bride would in a casual wedding.

People are dumb. Let her wear the dress. Others will talk and she'll look like the asshat, not you. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Jeans - yes Jeans. Some people do not have decorum when it comes to formal events. And yes, some of these people are my own family members. It happens.

But, you cannot email your friend back or have a third person email her on the sly and say "You cannot wear that."

Well BP - it WAS snowing that day. Sweatpants and a hoodie were appropriate ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I was looking back at photos from our wedding day and noticed one of DH's friends wives wore a dress VERY similar to that, stark white, very summer bridal dress like.... I didnt notice at the time, at all honestly.  Although now that you know upfront you may think about it that day, but honestly.. no one will be focused on her wearing white - they will be focused on how drop dead gorgeous you are going to look!!! :)  So don't panic :)
  • edited December 2011
    ooohhhh she saw this on ideeli today?  I saw it too and thought about getting it for the rehearsal!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm about to have a panic attack!  I wore the dress below to one of my best friend's weddings last Summer and now I'm wondering if it was too light and people were thinking the same thing you guys are saying!  The sequins are gold, but the dress is just about the same color as the dress you posted!  I friggin loved this dress and I hope no one thought that of me.  Eek!

http://outfitidentifier.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/tnt_s_christmas_in_washington__december_11_2005.jpg

• edited December 2011
    tacco- No that is not the same. I wouldn't give you the side eye. It is so pretty!
  • edited December 2011
    Amer - I would be grumbly about it too, but like others said, you will not notice or care by the time your wedding actually gets here.  And the fact that she is wearing white to your wedding will reflect poorly on HER, not on you for letting her wear it.  So who cares.
  • edited December 2011
    I never understood the big deal about this.  If it's the MOB or a bridesmaid or someone wearing a poufy floor-length white dress, of course.  But just a guest in a white dress (and I agree with BP, don't think this is even white)?  No one will notice/care, so you shouldn't either.
  • edited December 2011
    To add to the sweatpants/jeans anticdotes.. We had someone wear a baseball cap!  First of all, baseball caps indoors in general is a sticky issue with formality on most occasions, but a wedding!?   Yeah.  Funny thing was I didnt notice until a few people came up after and said "Who was the guy in the baseball cap?"  .. when we looked back at the photos, he had jeans on as well of course.  And our wedding was pretty damn formal, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards