DC

Newly engaged! Now where to get married?

Hi ladies. I've been lurking a while, and I got engaged Valentine's Day. We're looking to do a May 2011 wedding. We have a halfway decent budget for a site in the city that has a strong DC look and feel to it. Any recommendations? We're trying to avoid bland hotels.

Re: Newly engaged! Now where to get married?

• LindsMullinixLindsMullinix member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    look into the ronald reagan building - its gorgeous and very DC
    -Linds
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • aubreynsaubreyns member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The DAR Memorial Continental Building looks amazing in wedding pictures.  We're getting married at the Hotel Monaco because of the very DC feel and the history of the building.  Not a typical hotel.  I've also heard great things about the Ronald Reagan Building.
  • razdazzlerazdazzle member
    edited December 2011
    If you have the budget check out the National Women in the Arts Museum - it is SUCH a beautiful space.  The Decatur House and Andrew Mellon Auditorium are gorgeous too.

We are getting married at the Carnegie Institute of Science, website and pics in my blog.  It a really beatiful building and was not as expensive as some of the other DC sites.
  • edited December 2011
    Raz--I reeeeallly wanted National Women of Arts Museum....all pics looked SOOOO gorgeous!  But its over $9000 just to book it I think.  :)

OP: What about Top of the Town?  I havent been, but when I was looking into stuff it seemed to have great views of DC.
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • razdazzlerazdazzle member
    edited December 2011
    Lyss - I know, we went to look at the National Women in the Arts building and it was SOO beautiful, but $9,000 was way to high for us. 

Another place we checked out was City Clubs of Washington Franklin Sqaure - I really liked the venue - very different feel to a hotel wedding.  What I didn't love about the space was dancing was in a seperate room to dinner.  And my family is a big dancing family, so for us it wouldn't work as well.  But I thought the space was pretty and it overlooked a nice park which would be good for pics.  It's not far from the National Women in the Arts, so you could check out both on the same day.
  • edited December 2011
    $9,000 for the Women's Art Museum? I was quoted $14,000 for an off-season rate.  DC prices are part of the reason I'm planning in Baltimore now.
  • edited December 2011
    these prices are ridiculous! Weddings can really turn into a joyous time to a stressful and broke time! lol the wedding industry has gone crazy!!! Hotel Monaco want 5,000 just to have a ceremony set up in the courtyard.  That;s not even touching the reception and food cost.! smh
  • edited December 2011
    Ok. I actually looked into getting married at the mall at the Jefferson Memorial and it's actually possible! Just not for 150 people (logistical nightmare!). So a small wedding there is best. You have to get a permit and have to bring all your own equipment (chairs, etc) and cleanup when you leave. While you may have a permit it does not reserve your space and stop people from playing soccer nearby or tourists snapping photos of you. And i don't think a tent is allowed in case of rain. Also no parking really close (park on street and walk or metro). But its very DC!!! And would be memorable and great in pics!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards