DC

PSA re officiating in VA (Universal Life Church, etc)

Greetings!  If you are getting ordained in VA, make sure you get "certificate of good standing" in addition to ordination certificate!  Friend asked me to officiate at her wedding.  I requested ordination online with Universal Life Church.  I knew from looking at Alexandria VA city website, that I needed to go in person during business hours and show proof of good standing dated within 30 days of the request for authorization to perform marriages in VA. So I went to the Court within 30 days of issuance of the ordination certificate.  No dice.  I needed to get a separate letter stating that I am in good standing (although why I would have been ordained had I not been in good standing is beyond me.)  Had to pay additional fee and hefty shipping charge.  SO--If you are getting ordained, get certificate of good standing at the same time!

Re: PSA re officiating in VA (Universal Life Church, etc)

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would be very wary of using someone with an online ordination at all in Virginia.  This New York Times article cites Virginia as one of four states in which you must have an active ministry (i.e., congregation) in order to be authorized to perform weddings.  And unfortunately, if there is an issue with the officiant, it may not come to light until and unless there is a divorce or death, and one of the parties discovers s/he doesn't have the anticipated rights.

There is a provision for a Virginia resident to get a one-day license to perform weddings anywhere in Virginia.  That is a much safer option for anyone wanting to use a friend as an officiant in Virginia.
  • edited December 2011
    To 2dBride: Where did you get the information about the provision for a VA resident to get a one-day license to perfrom a wedding anywhere in VA? We'd like to research that for my sister's wedding but we don't even know where to start! Also - my sister really wants her friend from CA to perform the ceremony so we'd like to find out if that would be a possibility.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give!!! :-)
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jen&Bren, the statutory provision for the one-day license is Code of Virginia § 21-25.  Under that provision, any county in Virginia can issue a one-day license, which will permit the person to officiate anywhere in Virginia.  In other words, for example, a person who receives a license from the Fairfax court could perform the ceremony in Arlington.   A $500 bond is required, although that amount is refunded if the officiant complies with the duties required (i.e., filing the record of the marriage with the proper authorities).

Here is a link to the procedures in Fairfax County as an example.  You will see that Fairfax will only issue a one-day license to someone who resides in Fairfax.  As far as I can make out, all counties in Virginia have similar rules.  Thus, a Virginia resident can get licensed by his or her home county, and then can perform a marriage anywhere in Virginia.  However, there is no provision for having a one-day license issued to a California resident.

Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH 2dBride!!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards