DC

INVITATION GRAMMAR: "Two thousand and ten" vs "Two thousand ten"...

Lisa50Lisa50 member
5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
On wedding invitations, I notice the word "and" is often inserted when the year is spelled out.  For instance, "two thousand and ten."  I'm not a grammarian, but I know that the year 2010 spelled out correctly is "two thousand ten."  

I noticed this in quite a number of invitation catalogues and asked a sales person about it.  I was told that most brides don't care (or know) the year is misspelled and are just happy to get the invitation "chore" out of the way.  We talked some more and I asked if she would consider advising a client of the error.  She told me that although she knows it (inserting "AND" in the year) is not correct she chooses not to have that particular discussion with brides.  Hmm ...

Thoughts??

Re: INVITATION GRAMMAR: "Two thousand and ten" vs "Two thousand ten"...

• edited December 2011
    I vote for gramatically correct!  Two thousand ten.
  • edited December 2011
    we went through this debacle on our invitations.  grammatically correct in the US is two thousand ten.  however, grammatically correct "english" version is two thousand and ten.  since we used favour and honour with the "u" on our invitations, we carried that through with the year and made it two thousand and ten.  (i still couldn't figure out why the other way was correct when nineteen hundred and seventy-five was correct for my parents invites. hmmm.)  anyway, hope that helps!
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    edited December 2011
    Good.  Thanks.  Happy for the support.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    edited December 2011
    Ditto.  Same thing that I learned.  I'm going with "two thousand ten."  ta da!
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    edited December 2011
    Now that's good insight.  We are going strictly modern, no "u" ... no favor or honor, even, so that makes it easy and grammatically correct.  Whew!  Now I can go obsess over something else ... LOL!
  • edited December 2011
    Two Thousand and Ten is the British/English correct spelling.  American Grammer is Two Thousand Ten. 
    Live like there is no tomorrow..Love like you have never been hurt...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards