DC
Options

where'd you go dress shopping?

my mom is coming into town in about a month, and i'm going to go dress shopping for the first time when she's here.

where did you all look for dresses?  i'm looking for any advice - good experiences and bad experiences.

thanks!

Re: where'd you go dress shopping?

• Options
    razdazzlerazdazzle member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I purchased from Terri Lynn Bridal in Bethesda.  She does one appointment at a time so you have the option to try on any dress you want.  She was really helpful with what would look good one me without putting too much pressure on me to buy that day.  I found my dress the first time shopping but went back a few months later when I was really ready to buy. 

http://www.terrilynnbridal.com/
  • Options
    SwizzleStiXSwizzleStiX member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to like four places:

1.) Katherine's - I thought they had a pretty decent selection in my price range (<$2k) but they didn't have a lot of non-lace mermaid shapes. I was also given a consultant who seemed EXTREMELY annoyed by me. I was honest with how I felt about the dresses and she was annoyed that I didn't like anything. She also left my mom and I a couple times just standing there staring at each other. They finally brought us someone that was extremely helpful, and did actually find my dress, but I ended up going somewhere else because I found a better deal on it.

2.) White Swan - I thought the shop was great. They had tons of options in my price range and put most of their dresses on forms, which is super helpful in seeing how they actually look like. I found the owner a little too pushy though, but overall they had good deals (they order the dresses to size so there are little to no alterations needed). They just didn't have what I wanted.

3.) Bobbie's Bridal - BY FAR the BEST service I got! The girls working there seemed extremely knowledgable and they had great deals. Again, just didn't have what I wanted.

4.) I ended up going to Ann's Boutique in Burke and ordered my dress there. They've been great. There aren't a lot of frills (ie: no champagne! ha) but I didn't expect nor really need that. They've been very professional, and my dress came in as expected. I haven't seen it yet or done the alterations, but I'm sure all will turn out well. I'd definitely reccommend going there. They gave me the trunk sale price two weeks after the trunk sale was over.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    OFFOFF
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Priscilla of Boston (Tyson's Corner) All I can say is that I love this dress shop. It is the first place I went, and has hence colored my view of other shops. The dressing rooms are bigger than my apartment!  The staff are nice, professional, welcoming and helpful.  All of which I didn't realize were in short supply in the bridal shop industry.  Most of the dresses are $2600+, but the bridesmaid dresses are pretty reasonable most under $200.  We got my dress here and all the MoB and MOG dresses here too. 

Hitched (Georgetown) I went to Hitched for the Judd Waddell event. The store is nice, although the dressing rooms are small but not claustrophopic. My salesperson (I can't remember her name) was helpful, but didn't give me her own honest opinion (I looked fine in everything). I liked the store and they had a great selection of higher end dresses.

Maria's (Fairfax) The store isn't big and the dressing rooms barely fit you and the dress, but they have a decent selection including Pronovias and San Patrick. The service was good and they were willing to accomodate the fact I don't like my dresses bedazzled by offering to remove them. It's definitely a must go if you're on a budget.

Ellie's (Old Town Alexandria) Sucked. Just sucked. My mom and I were so disappointed in this visit. The store is cramped, cluttered, dirty and just chaos. The dressing room wasn't big enough for my cat. The sample dresses looked like someone had a street fight in them. The staff was unhelpful, uninterested and just generally checked out. My saleswoman told me at the beginning of my appointment "that we would have to hurry up cause she was getting out of her at 6 pm today (It was 5 pm)." She disappeared for 15 minutes without a word and I thought she had gone to get more dresses. Nope she was just on to something else. She did this a couple of times. It was just a horrible experience!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    White Swan- It's nice. VERY busy on the weekends. You share long mirrors with other brides. However, it's nice because you can see the dresses on mannequins.

Maria's in Fairfax- Small selection. Sales lady was very nice.

Bobbie's Bridal- I found my dress here although I purchased it else where. Service is so-so. Decent selection.

Anne's in Burke- Nice selection. Anne was very helpful.

Rosalin's- Very nice people. Good selection. Private dressing room with large mirrors. The sales lady was also very attentive. She pinned the dress and showed me what it could look like with alterations etc.

good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    La Bella Bridal in Occoquan.  The owner, Ellalyne Brayman, was totally amazing.  She asked for our sizes when we made the appointment, and had dresses picked out for us to try on when we arrifved.  They only have one appointment at a time there, so we got her full attention.  They have consignment dresses there, so we were able to save some money and also take home our dresses the same day.  And she has a wonderful eye--picked out dresses that we never would have looked  at twice on the rack, but that were absolutely gorgeous on us.
  • Options
    spydergs19spydergs19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually found my dress at Bridal Images in Rockville but did not buy from there because of the dishonesty of the saleslady.  She told me the designer was an exclusive of their shop and was very shady when I asked the name.  I happened to check the tags as she was taking the dress off of me and found out that not only is the designer NOT exclusive to their boutique, but the other 3 stores in the area that sell that designer's line have that same style dress for about $700 less!! When she called me to follow up, I told her what I found out and she was shocked (of course..) and wanted the chance to call the manufacturer to "see what she could do".  However, at that point, I had no intention of buying anything from her so I thanked her for her time and told her I was buying elsewhere.

After that lovely experience, I ended up buying my dress at Moni's Boutique in Manassas - it's a smaller place, but the ladies that work there (including Monica, the owner) are super nice and helpful without being pushy or overbearing.  We are also buying our bridesmaid dresses there, as well.  

Good luck!! :)
  • Options
    dawnmhaydendawnmhayden member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually ended up getting my dress in NY but we got our bridesmaids dresses at Hennalores in Alexandria and loved the experience!  It's right in downtown and we did lunch before and made a whole day out of it.  The store is huge and they have big selections and I found everyone to be really friendly. 
    I was also in a wedding a little while ago and the bride purchased her dress and we got the bridesmaids dresses from Distinctive Designs in Rockville.  They seemed great too and was going to be my next stop if I had not purchased my dress in NY. 
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I purchased from Moni's Bridal Boutique in Manassas.  It's small, but they have a nice selection, and the staff is friendly and helpful.  Since it's small, the entire staff basically focuses on you and remembers you by name. 

Also, Blush Bridal in Gainesville has a nice selection and very helpful staff.
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Davids Bridal in Springfield - tons of choices for the brides on a budget!

My Planning Bio ** For Sale
    UPDATED 1/5/11

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Hannelore's in Alexandria. Most of their dresses are $2K and up but I got my dress for $1700 approx. They have a lovely store and I had a good time trying on dresses although I felt pressured to buy and so walked out because I never make snap decisions, esp. on something as important as my wedding dress! So I went to a couple more bridal salons incl. another in Alexandria (can't remember the name) and Bridal Images and wasn't impressed with the selection and quality of the gowns although most were cheaper. I decided to get the gown that I had loved at Hannelore's and went back to get it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress from TLC Bridal in historic Frederick,MD. The owner Terry was SOOOOO helpful & they all made me feel so comftorable. The service was exceptional! Since it was my first time there I got 10% off my dream dress too. They have so many pretty dresses. My dress got here in 1 month! I was so shocked. I picked it up last weekend. Penny was the one who helped me & was so nice & she actually pulled the dres I ended up buying. HIGHLY reccomend plus everything in the store is under $1000. My dress is from JUstin Alexander Sincerity line. :) Good luck!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Katherine's in Alexandria.  Be sure to ask for an appointment with Kathy.  She is the best there.  Endless patience!  Some of the other ladies there, I couldn't say the same thing for.  Be honest about your price range, and she will show you what you are looking for.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards