DC
Options

Makeup Resource in DC?

Lisa50Lisa50 member
5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment

Regarding makeup, I am a minimalist.  On most days, lip gloss is it.   If I have a job interview, I add mascara and (sometimes) very light eyebrow pencil to fill in a couple of places.  If I go out for a evening business event, I'll add a bit of brown eye shadow and a teeny, tiny bit of eye liner. 

However, I know  I want makeup for the wedding day that looks very ooo-la-la, not trampy, but romantically stunning.  I want to find someone who really knows how to emphasize my eyes.  Luckily, I don't need foundation so I'd like to avoid someone who applies it like spackle.  Hee hee!

Do you have suggestions for someone in DC?  Thanks!

Re: Makeup Resource in DC?

• Options
    kat016kat016 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you doing your makeup yourself? If you are, I highly suggest the Bobbi Brown makeup ladies at Tysons Corner in Nordstrom.  Natalie does a really amazing job with eye makeup.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am the exact same way - rarely ever wear make up and wanted a very natural look with just a little color on my eyes.  I used Megan from Baltimore Bridal Makeup and she was FANTASTIC.  I did a trial with her, and she did the mascara and shadow a little on the heavy side.  I let her know, and on the wedding day, it was perfect.  She travels to your location for make up, so you may be able to get her to come to DC.  She traveled to Frederick for my wedding for a small fee.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Faces by S.A.M does an amazing job and really takes direction well..
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_dc_makeup-resource-dc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:57Discussion:7057dc88-519b-4fce-a087-6b48ad6ff314Post:51e833f6-b550-4910-9c55-4d92fbcba7e5">Re: Makeup Resource in DC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you doing your makeup yourself? If you are, I highly suggest the Bobbi Brown makeup ladies at Tysons Corner in Nordstrom.  Natalie does a really amazing job with eye makeup.
    Posted by kat016[/QUOTE]

I am not sure if I'm going to do my own.  If I do, I'll check out Natalie.  Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_dc_makeup-resource-dc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:57Discussion:7057dc88-519b-4fce-a087-6b48ad6ff314Post:190fe96c-6735-4f31-8b5c-689db9c65cc0">Re: Makeup Resource in DC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am the exact same way - rarely ever wear make up and wanted a very natural look with just a little color on my eyes.  I used Megan from Baltimore Bridal Makeup and she was FANTASTIC.  I did a trial with her, and she did the mascara and shadow a little on the heavy side.  I let her know, and on the wedding day, it was perfect.  She travels to your location for make up, so you may be able to get her to come to DC.  She traveled to Frederick for my wedding for a small fee.
    Posted by sunshine_day_dreams[/QUOTE]

Sweet!  I'll keep that in mind.  My wedding is in Annapolis, actually, so that's closer drive for her.  Thanks so much.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_dc_makeup-resource-dc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:57Discussion:7057dc88-519b-4fce-a087-6b48ad6ff314Post:2ba6b915-dd91-4764-b9b5-aa807819fa82">Re: Makeup Resource in DC?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Faces by S.A.M does an amazing job and really takes direction well..
    Posted by lillylovesmike[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks!  Off to the interweb I go ... Cheers!
  • Options
    VickyFlorVickyFlor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I must mention the woman who did my wedding makeup: Joann from the Bobbi Brown counter at the Chevy Chase Bloomie's.   She is a treasure. 

I usually use Bobbi Brown makeup and -- encouraged by razdazzle's own success story--decided to visit the makeup counter during my search for a makeup artist.  Boy, was that a good idea.  Joann did great eyes, gave me a pretty complexion, made me feel comfortable, laugh even and, at the end of my trial, I felt beautiful.  Her makeup approach was "you, only enhanced." 

I am very self-conscious about people applying makeup on me.  I have olive skin, dark eyes and very dark hair.  You need to find the right combination of shades or colors will either fade out or look too heavy.  It like there is a fight between my coloring and makeup sometimes.  Well, Joann is some amazing treaty negotiator.  She also has a great range.  Joann did my now sil's makeup (who is fairskinned and has lighter eyes), one of my bm's (sunkissed skin, dark eyes) and my mom  and everyone looked great.   Joann is talented, funny and good people too.

• Options
    razdazzlerazdazzle member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    see my vendor reviews above - but agree that going to a make-up counter is the way to go.  Many of the make-up artists that work in high-end stores like Bloomingdales also do event make-up on the side.  I used Mimi who works for Chanel at the Bloomie's in Chevy Chase.  She was a great find and my make-up was flawless.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    edited December 2011
    Cool.  Thanks, ladies.  Your responses give me some great places to check out.  I look at women employees who work at make up counters and, generally, recoil.  They look SO clownish. 

I will take your advice and head out on my way.  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards