DC

Long Island Wedding in DC?

Hey Knotters - My fiance and I live in DC, but he and his family are Italian and from Long Island. This is new to me, but apparently Italian Long Island weddings involve what I would call "a feast." Cocktail hour isn't just passed hors d'ouevres like it would be here in DC. His family requires a full buffet at cocktail hour (think made-to-order pasta station, shrimp cocktail galore and carving stations). What I would consider the full dinner! Then it's on to a four-course meal with plenty of desserts. His mother is concerned if we don't have all of this she'll be judged. The food doesn't matter that much to me and I'm very happy to do this. However, since it's not the norm in DC it is VERY expensive, whereas in Long Island most wedding venues provide this standard. Any DC/Virginia brides marrying a Long Island man? Any suggestions on affordable caterers that could do this in DC? Any advice is appreciated!!

Re: Long Island Wedding in DC?

• prloveprlove member
    First Comment First Anniversary

Hi Katherine!

My family is all over NYC to include Long Island so I understand both you and your FI family's POV.  The crazy food in coctail hour is traditional for up that way.  My suggestion would be if you are going to have a buffet style dinner, maybe you can ask the caterer to split some of it?  For example, if you are going to have five carving stations, maybe use two for the cocktail hour and three for dinner.  Then maybe for dinner you can include a special something like an extra desert or something of that nature?  OR may you can still do hors d'ouevers during coctail hour, just add more of a variety and make the presentation something more elaborate?

Sorry, I think those are all of the ideas that I have.  I hope that helps some. :)

• This sounds way intense! I'm from Long Island and have never heard of there being full buffets during cocktail hour-- it's definitely not the norm by any means. Don't feel pressured to do something so expensive when it's really not necessary. There are plenty of other options if you (emphasis on the *you* since this is *your* and your fiance's wedding, not your FMIL's) decide that you would like to offer heavier options during cocktail hour, such as having more stationary hors d'ouevres, additional passed hors d'ouevres, and perhaps heavier meat options rather than lighter fare. If anyone judges you or your FMIL for not having multiple carving stations to go with their cocktails, then they are the ones who have poor manners, not you or your family. At the end of your day, your wedding is about the beautiful start of a marriage, not keeping up appearances.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 6, 2012!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards