DC

Average Costs for Cocktail/Reception Catering?

serenitymdserenitymd member
First Comment
I'm being quoted around $10K for 100 people... that's NOT including alcohol, which we'll likely provide ourselves. Is that reasonable for DC/MD/VA?  It feels like a lot.

Also -- we want to taste the food before we commit to a caterer. I assumed we'd give one a preliminary "yes" contingent on how the tasting goes, but do caterers require more committment than that?

Thanks!

Re: Average Costs for Cocktail/Reception Catering?

• edited December 2011
    Wow, that seems to be a lot! Are they including the plates, cutlery, cups, and linens?
  • serenitymdserenitymd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, but not the alcohol and in some cases not the tables... I thought so too!
  • edited December 2011
    I thought I responded to this earlier, but apparently it didn't post.

I think it sounds like a lot. I am using a great caterer that comes well-recommended and our quote was $8400 for 140 people, not including alcohol. But it includes linens, plates, etc. (tables and chairs are provided by the venue).

You should definitely have a tasting  before signing a contract, but once the contract is signed, I think thats it.
  • LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that sounds like a lot... The venue that I'm using (The Bolger Center in Potomac, MD) does its own catering and it's $100 per person for cocktail hour, salad & entree, all the linens, tables chairs, glassware, etc. AND an open bar for both the cocktail hour and the reception.

There are def cheaper options than the ones it sounds like you're finding!
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, ladies! I'm going to keep shopping around and see what I get back... I mean, I want the food to be delicious but I don't have an unlimited budget!
  • Cheles93Cheles93 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Modcbride can I ask where you are getting married? We are having trouble as well finding reasonable prices around this area.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yeah, that's expensive -- even for DC.  I bet you can get a cheaper price using some of the bigger caterers in DC.  Whew!  Keep looking.  I cannot be of much help, our catering came with the venue.

Good luck!

• edited December 2011
    We are getting married at Carnegie Institute but our caterer is Main Event Catering. I ended up getting proposals from about 6-7 different catering companies, doing tastings at 3, and choosing Main Event. They are well-recommended, provided excellent service, and the food was fantastic. I am happy to give you more details if it would be useful.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Modcbride -- i'm actually gettting a proposal from them... just waiting for it to come in.  If you don't mind my asking -- what's the range you're spending and for how many people? Just for my info....
  • edited December 2011
    Hmmm. I had to go back to the proposal and look, but I guess its a lot more than I remember!

11,815.10  for 140 people including the cake, but not alcohol (but all other bar stuff).  But I remember thinking that this was very reasonable compared to the other proposals I received.
  • gc2884gc2884 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Modcbride- I was thinking about having my wedding at Carnegie with Main Event catering.  I haven't finalized anything yet, just considering the idea. Any insight into the process would be great. How far in advance do you think both need to be booked? Thanks!
  • edited December 2011

Hi there,

As to Carnegie, you have to book way in advance if you want a saturday wedding. I got engaged in September 2010 and booked Carnegie the next month.  By that time, Carnegie had only one saturday available in all of 2011 (saturday after thanksgiving!), but they had almost everything open in 2012. I booked Main Event a couple months after that, I think they are way more flexible as they are a pretty large company. But I suggest getting in touch with Carnegie asap to see what dates they have available in your time frame.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!!
  • Cheles93Cheles93 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you modbride!
  • Who did you go with that gave you a quote of 8400 for 140 people? That price range sounds closer to my price range.
  • Who did you go with that gave you a quote of 8400 for 140 people? That price range sounds closer to my price range.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards