DC
Options

Wholesale florist

For my wedding my aunt is trying to get a floral license for Washington DC and do our arrangements and bouquets for us. She has a license in Cali but i am under the impression that she needs one here. I am having trouble finding out how to get a license in Dc or Northern VA and where there are floral markets or wholesale floral markets near us and was wondering if anyone had any information about this. Thank you!!

Re: Wholesale florist

• Options
    tracy_ktracy_k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's a fantastic wholesale florist in Silver Spring, Potomac Floral Wholesale. They sell to the public, you don't need a license of any kind. I used them for my wedding, I did my own flowers, and I got enough for my bouquet (more than two dozen roses plus other flowers), six bridesmaid bouquets, 45 small table arrangements, three corsages, 8 bouts and a couple other large arrangements for the windowsills and fireplaces, all for under $500.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Did you have any kind of trouble working with the whole sale flowers?  how did you store the flowers before the wedding?
  • Options
    tracy_ktracy_k member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_dc_wholesale-florist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:57Discussion:fc2979c3-1b01-4c67-b25b-ca35d9d9cc98Post:bb178b6f-f617-47a3-b706-b64f0045613c">Re: Wholesale florist</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you have any kind of trouble working with the whole sale flowers?  how did you store the flowers before the wedding?
    Posted by vtran[/QUOTE]

I had no trouble whatsoever. My wedding was in February 2010, last August I went to the warehouse and talked to the guy about what would be available then. I bought a couple bunches of the flowers I thought I'd end up using and did a couple trial arrangements and a bouquet.

They were really helpful -- the guy even told me to make sure not to place my order until after Valentine's day, as the prices would go down. He also told me how far in advance to order them (about two weeks) and how long they could reasonably hold up.

I ended up picking up my flowers on Wednesday before my Saturday wedding. They sat in buckets of water overnight, then my mom and aunts and I made the centerpieces and bouquets on Thursday, and kept everything watered and in a cool room until showtime. :) Worked like a charm!
  • Options
    tracy_ktracy_k member
    edited December 2011
    Oh, they also sell TONS of vases, supplies, ribbon, bouquet jewelry, pearl & rhinestone pins, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards