Georgia-Atlanta
Options

Our Guests Dilemma

Hi Everyone!  My husband and I want to renew our wedding vows for our 15 year anniversary (Sept 2013). We just moved to Atlanta 1 1/2 yrs ago, but all our family is in Kansas and Minnesota.  We are trying to find creative ways to make sure we get guests down here.  1 idea I had was to charter a bus and divide the costs between each person. The cheapest price I got was $6,500, so we figured $100 per person is fair, then they can pay for their motel room. Do you feel like people would take advantage of this just to come see our renewal, especially with the economy??

P.S.  My husband does not want to have it in Kansas, he wants to celebrate our new home here.

Re: Our Guests Dilemma

• Options
    I think it's very nice and generous for you to pay for your guests travel if you can afford it, but it is not required. No one should expect that of you, but if you are worried about people being able to make it I think that would be a very considerate gesture. Or you could do the reverse and pay for their rooms but leave the travel up to them. 

When you say "just to come see our renewal", you are planning on hosting your guests in some fashion, right? Are you having a reception afterwards? While technically having a cake and punch reception would be acceptable, I would think people coming from so far away might expect a little more in terms of food/a party. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    I'm slightly confused. Will you be paying for the bus or will they?

If they are paying for the bus AND their hotel then that really is a little much. I personally wouldn't want to catch a charter bus with my family. Travelling with family can be such a pain in the rear. Plus, you're assuming that everyone will be able to attend. You said $6,500 at $100 each so 65 guests. What if only 30 are able to make it? Are you going to pay for the extra?

And then there is the logistics of trying to charter a bus. Not everyone works a traditional Mon - Fri job. Some people will want to stay for a couple of days, while others will want to come down the night before the wedding and leave the morning after. 

I'm thinking that chartering a bus really isn't the best option. If I were you, I'd just send out invitations and let people find their own way down. 
  • Options
    I think send the invitations and let them find their own way down.  Use the money to throw a really awesome party for the ones that come.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards