Georgia-Atlanta

Green Gables Events?

Does anyone have any experience with this events coordinator / caterer? They're based out of North Georgia.

Re: Green Gables Events?

• edited December 2011
    A friend of mine used them and was very pleased.
  • saorisenylsaorisenyl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of them...

I could only find one thing online about them, not very good.

Carol ‎ - Oct 18, 2010
    Did not like the food Just went to a wedding and the food was not very good. The pork tenderloin very dry and the mashed potatoes were very boring. The only good food at the wedding was the spinach strawberry salad. I would not recommend this catering company.

But their website looks nice.. I'm going to look into them more.  Thank you for posting, wish I had more info for you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Someone I know used them and the food was NOT good in my opinion. I actually didnt eat the food because it was that bad.
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm - that's interesting.  What did you, apierce12, have?

We visited their restaurant and ate dinner, and it was spectacular. 
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, their restaurant The Olive Branch is very good!

For 160 people they only provided 2 waitstaff. The food was room temp (at best) and it was a piece of chicken and some type of vegetable casserole (which was way too overcooked and tough)

They did not provide enough appetizers to feed all of the guests so I didnt even get any of them.
  • edited December 2011
    We're only having 75-80 guests so maybe that will be different.  I seem to recall during planning the caterer going over how many servers per number of tables as well versus servers to guests so that was probably something that should have been considered in that bride's planning process. 

We didn't order individual appetizers either.  We ordered, what I guess you would call, mass appetizers (fondue, breads, etc.)

Guess we'll find out, right?  No one goes to a wedding expecting AWESOME food.  Room temperature, etc. aren't things that concern me.  However, all-out disgusting food or food poisoning would, and I haven't heard any claims about that. 

I would also, in the future, advise couples against choosing PORK tenderloin as a dish for their reception (as was posted above from a review online.)  Pork is not only difficult to cook perfectly, it dries out easily. 

• edited December 2011
    aww well good luck im sure your wedding will be perfect! Just be careful and make sure they will atleast provide adequate staffing
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to use them as a caterer for my wedding at Blackstock but they would never return my call about setting up a tasting... If they can't return a phone call for a tasting, why and how should I trust them to be there for me on the most important day of my life? Just something to think about! I'm using Honeybrook Catering based out of Cleveland, Ga and they provided a tasting for us at my home, with all sorts of things we hadn't even requested to try!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    @chelseaandtom

When I signed my contract for BS back in 2010, you could ONLY use the one caterer.  They have since changed it to include at least one other caterer.  You are right, though.  Green Gables is VERY hard to get a hold of!
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, when we booked, they said we could use any caterer we wanted, as long as they'd come in and talk with the people at Blackstock before hand- just so everyone would be on the same page.

Then, less than a month when we went back to have another meeting with them, they tried to tell us we could only use Green Gables. We were angry about it, but finally agreed because they seemed like a good company and we knew they'd have plenty of experience working at Blackstock. When they wouldn't pick up the phone or return my phone calls though, I was not about to trust them for the big day and I told Kathy at Blackstock that I was not at all comfortable using them and she let us use Honeybrook instead (Honeybrook is the alternative to Green Gables and I HIGHLY suggest them!).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_green-gables-events?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:3e75085b-ccc3-42d1-b24c-c68da38a6e27Post:960bcb6f-657b-4cc1-808f-bd8046f36b8d">Re: Green Gables Events?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, when we booked, they said we could use any caterer we wanted, as long as they'd come in and talk with the people at Blackstock before hand- just so everyone would be on the same page. Then, less than a month when we went back to have another meeting with them, they tried to tell us we could only use Green Gables. We were angry about it, but finally agreed because they seemed like a good company and we knew they'd have plenty of experience working at Blackstock. When they wouldn't pick up the phone or return my phone calls though, I was not about to trust them for the big day and I told Kathy at Blackstock that I was not at all comfortable using them and she let us use Honeybrook instead (Honeybrook is the alternative to Green Gables and I HIGHLY suggest them!).
    Posted by chelseaandtom[/QUOTE]

Well, as you probably know, Kathy now works for Green Gables and no longer works at Blackstock. 

We have had communication troubles with GGC, but as we wanted Blackstock, and they told us "that was it," we are using them.  They have gotten better, and I only hope it's a small glitch as they had "let go" of their former assistant right when I was trying to sign our contract, etc. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards