Georgia-Atlanta

Wedding Location

Okay, so we are fairly far out (about 1 year and 3 or 4 months) but we have been TALKING about where we want to have our March 2012 wedding. Before getting engaged I thought we were both on the same page: A 50 or so person wedding in Savannah. We both love Savannah and think it's gorgeous/perfect. So when we started getting our "Congratulations" and "So excited for yous" FI decides....well maybe he wants a bigger wedding so we can include everyone we even just like, everyone that invites us to theirs, all kinds of extended family, etc. I am not such a big fan.

Okay. I have no problem with a 100 person wedding. But I absolutely cannot picture a wedding with more than that that we would both enjoy. It ups the cost - which he is not as concerned with as I am. He's a guy, so in his mind, it's not that expensive to feed 100 people at Applebee's.... (kidding, kind of).

To my question: How would you/did you handle this? He is acting like it's "mean" to not include everyone who is happy for us. Is there a way to convince him otherwise? Should I even try or just compromise? I just don't want to pay for people I barely know to share in the wedding festivities....... Am I being ridiculous?
imagepcos ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Location

• pokepoke27pokepoke27 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First off, come up with a rough budget of what it would cost. You can use the knots budgeter to drive your point home, that way he can see the difference between a wedding for 50 and a wedding for 200. Then, tell him that generally you don't invite people that you haven't heard from in the past six months. Just be open and honest and don't be demanding, I'm sure he'll see reason : )
  • edited December 2011
    Also, once you've showed FI the big difference in cost (and, it will be BIG), explain to him the things you could instead do with that money.  I know for me, once I explained to FI that we could either invite ALL of his parent's friends or have a longer honeymoon, he was more than on my side.  Good luck!  And congrats- I'm a fellow March 2012 bride!  :)
    Can't wait to marry my man! October 28, 2011
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, if you have actual price figures for him it will start to really hit home.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I will be doing that as soon as possible. haha. I just don't feel comfortable turning our "intimate, family & close friends" wedding into "hey! haven't seen you in ages!" haha.

I think the budget differences will be very helpful and the honeymoon is spot on - how did you know? :) He's a big traveler.

(And nolebride08: yay March 2012!)
    imagepcos ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards