Georgia-Atlanta

Marriage license requirements!

Ok I've been trying to figure out GA's laws and requirements for getting our marriage license but I'm just not sure I'm going to legit websites! Can anyone shed some light on this for me?? What is the time frame I need to get it in? Do I have to get it in the city where we are getting married? Any info would be great!!

Re: Marriage license requirements!

• edited December 2011
    It depends on the county.  If you live in Georgia you can get it from any county.  If not, you have to get it in the county you will be married in. 

So, figure out which county and then look up their website.  For Cobb county, you can get the marriage license at any time.  It never expires. 

For example, google "xxxx county marriage license" and you will most likely get an official government website.
    Photobucket
  • My_MattMy_Matt member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_marriage-license-requirements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:58Discussion:a5ba46d8-ed40-4104-9883-ae0a00b3a191Post:3c10d032-2e67-4ce3-8334-75fc13b0fd81">Re: Marriage license requirements!</a>:
    [QUOTE]It depends on the county.  If you live in Georgia you can get it from any county.  If not, you have to get it in the county you will be married in.  So, figure out which county and then look up their website.  For Cobb county, you can get the marriage license at any time.  It never expires.  For example, google "xxxx county marriage license" and you will most likely get an official government website.
    Posted by belletop[/QUOTE]

Excellent advice.
    I wonder if Prince William and Kate are registered at Target?
  • edited December 2011
    From my understanding, you need to get the marriage license from the county probate court that you live in only. I live in Hall so I have to get the license in Hall is the way I understand it. I'm actually going today so we'll see how it goes! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ritakellyritakelly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_marriage-license-requirements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:a5ba46d8-ed40-4104-9883-ae0a00b3a191Post:18e87402-ef67-4c23-9625-60a82177611f">Re: Marriage license requirements!</a>:
    [QUOTE]From my understanding, <span style="font-weight:bold;">you need to get the marriage license from the county probate court that you live in only</span>. I live in Hall so I have to get the license in Hall is the way I understand it. I'm actually going today so we'll see how it goes! :)
    Posted by chelseaandtom[/QUOTE]

<span style="font-weight:bold;">That is wrong.</span> As PP said, if you live in GA then you can get your marriage license in ANY county (most would get it at the most convenient one to them). If you are not a GA resident then you must get it in the County you will be married in.

My officiate suggested I get it from the County I will be married in which will be the easiest for me to go to anyway. :)
  • em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah do whatever is easiest, whether it be the county you get married in or the county you will be residing in, provided that you and/or FI meet the GA citizen requirements. 

For clarification purposes, what exactly is the deal with going and getting the certificates? As I understand it, the license is what you take to your officiant to sign, along with you, FI, and witness, and then the officiant mails it to the county from which you received the license? Then, after it is processed, you go pick up copies of the certificate so that you can prove you are married, make name changes, etc. 

Is this right? TIA. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • TheCranberryTheCranberry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Em, you can pick up the certificate after the license is filed or you can have them mail it to you.  You have to pay an extra fee for this (can't remember how much, I think around $10) and bring a self addressed stamped envelope.

All the info is on the GA probate court website.

http://www.gaprobate.org/licenses.php
  • em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info! I will file it away for when we're closer to the day!
  • edited December 2011
    Keep in mind that even though (if you're a GA resident) you can get your license in any county, each county has its own requirements:

1) Different prices for licenses ($56-$76)

2) Different requirements for divorce decrees if you're previously divorced (one county requires that no matter WHEN you were divorced, when filing for a new license you need the decree...another county is "within the past six months" and another is "within the past 90 days.")

3) Business hours vary with each court.

Same for all:

1) PROBATE COURT is where you get your license.

2) NO pre-marital blood tests required.

3) Reduced license fee with completion of valid pre-marriage counseling.

4) Government identification: driver's license, military ID, birth certificate, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards